Kids and time spent online with games. Is the technology destroying their minds?

avander

I realise times have changes and we all (or most of us) use our computers to assist in researching many things and it is now an integral part of our daily lives.

The question I have, though, is how much is too much time playing games on the net and what do other parents encourage their children to do as an alternative these days?

My 8 year old son seems to spend all of his free time (a lot of course) attached to Fantage or other kids online gaming sites. I have told him to find other things to do but within a day or two he is back at it potentially spending hours each day (during the holidays) with these platform and other kids game sites. It doesn't seem healthy to me.

An observation I also have is that it seems to me a lot of kids thse days have far less physical "toys" and instead use the screen and virtual world as their "fantasy land".

Is this better or is it destroying their ability to think and use their imaginations and if so, what can we do about it?

Two related issues I guess? The time they spend and what is reasoinable and should we give them more physical toys or are they OK with a "virtual playland".

Thoughts and ideas anyone?

Why don't you google "time kids spend online". I sure you'll get you'll get your answer. thumbsup.gif

I coiuld try that but I thought I would go for "local views and experiences" as well as the "published works on the subject".

My older boy started on my home PC when he was four; the younger boy started when he was five. The older boy got two articles written about him in PC magazine while he was in high school. He graduated with a double major in computers, developed websites, and went into semi-retirement at age 25. The younger one graduates this spring with a degree in chemistry. We'll have to see what he does with that.

When they were young and on the web, I'd check in on them every half-hour or so to make sure they were still firmly grounded in reality, not in fantasy. And I provided the programs, which were learning games. At the same time, they were both into swimming, water-skiing, soccer, and off road bicycling, and the younger one earned his first level black belt in karate.

I guess my point is, whether it's on a computer or the "real" world, parental interest and input is the key.

• Like 1