Prime example of idiocy caught on cam

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another one of the wee 'clique' on this forum who cannot help but twist my posts..

The word i used was 'intuitional'..Yes?

Meaning..and heres the catch for you guys.....'comes with experience" this is where you are missing the point i believe.

I have the experience so as i said countersteering is, to me intuitional. I never ever think about it and it never comes up in conversation unless we are tal;king with total novices..oh wait..thats the problem here!

When you weekend/parttime riders actually get some real riding experience you too will find that it doesn't even cross your mind...you just do it as easily as it really is.

Do you guys really come upon a corner and start thinking..ooooeeerrr push right...or push left or what..and think about it? If you do you yourself should be riding tricycles..

Again, same as Mr RubberCottonwool..my choice as to helmet or not...do you guys really believe that a choice of helmet or even no helmet can make a difference to a riders ability and skillset?w00t.gif

I dont give a stuff if you want to ride around wrapped in safety gear..thats your choice..but as is very obvious from reading the posts of some of you that you really believe that it makes you superior riders...rolleyes.gif

It is the very last option when your lack of skills and abilities has finally let you down..over 50 years i never reached that failure point...must be doing something right huh?

Not ever saying that that day wont come...it can happen to me or any one of you in a split second..no matter how many books and videos you study

You really are quite something else. I do look forward to your posts as they are highly entertaining (if not overly educational).

You contend that as you have ridden 700,000 kms in the past 50 years without having had an accident, that qualifies you as a skilled and able rider. And because of that, you can dispense with wearing safety gear. I guess the likes of Rossi, Marquez, Pedrosa aren't as skilled, hence the need for them to wear safety gear.

Just out of curiosity, what would you have done to avoid this accident?

• Like 2

Another one of the wee 'clique' on this forum who cannot help but twist my posts..

Meaning..and heres the catch for you guys.....'comes with experience" this is where you are missing the point i believe.

I have the experience so as i said countersteering is, to me intuitional. I never ever think about it and it never comes up in conversation unless we are tal;king with total novices..oh wait..thats the problem here!

When you weekend/parttime riders actually get some real riding experience you too will find that it doesn't even cross your mind...you just do it as easily as it really is.

Do you guys really come upon a corner and start thinking..ooooeeerrr push right...or push left or what..and think about it? If you do you yourself should be riding tricycles..

Again, same as Mr RubberCottonwool..my choice as to helmet or not...do you guys really believe that a choice of helmet or even no helmet can make a difference to a riders ability and skillset?w00t.gif

I dont give a stuff if you want to ride around wrapped in safety gear..thats your choice..but as is very obvious from reading the posts of some of you that you really believe that it makes you superior riders...rolleyes.gif

It is the very last option when your lack of skills and abilities has finally let you down..over 50 years i never reached that failure point...must be doing something right huh?

Not ever saying that that day wont come...it can happen to me or any one of you in a split second..no matter how many books and videos you study

You really are quite something else. I do look forward to your posts as they are highly entertaining (if not overly educational).

You contend that as you have ridden 700,000 kms in the past 50 years without having had an accident, that qualifies you as a skilled and able rider. And because of that, you can dispense with wearing safety gear. I guess the likes of Rossi, Marquez, Pedrosa aren't as skilled, hence the need for them to wear safety gear.

an intuitional counter steering maybe?cheesy.gif

• Like 2

It's a pretty good advertisement for Alpinestars suits/boots and Shoei helmets.

This is a classic example of how you have to train yourself to often act in a counterintuitive manner on a bike (i.e. not slowing down when on the surface it seems like the best course of action)- he didn't get into the corner too hot at all (as far as his bike/speed were concerned- obviously his skills were another matter) but he panicked and rolled off the gas (and probably hit the brakes), which forced him to go too wide- had he stayed on the throttle, he would have made the turn without a problem.

"It's a pretty good advertisement for Alpinestars suits/boots and Shoei helmets."

Shhh..... some posters are adamant that a 500 Bht helment (or even no helmet at all) would be more than sufficient smile.png

I'm stickin' by my 199B helmet!

Good on yer!! Better than the helmet below

attachicon.gifbucket helmet.jpg

With that photo, one can really coin the phrase: 'brain bucket'

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

Edited by Garry
  • Like 2

Wow rubber boys toy boy comes in on cue again....why am i not surprised..whiskey distorts ones comprehension tho' huh biatch..

Regarding the MGP guys..nothing i said or insinuated anything near what you just dribbled out down the front of your nappies...way weird stuff .

Leave it with you nancies..coffee1.gif

^ Yep, if you still can't see the difference between endangering yourself and endangering others around you then it's probably best we let it go smile.png

Do you have any method of discourse other than fallacy and false attribution, Jonny? It would seem not, but I haven't really taken much notice of you other than on this thread and the previous one that's been referenced. Who said I couldn't see the difference (besides you, anyway)? They're completely separate points as far as this thread is concerned, but you lack the ability to see the distinction (or, more likely, you're just enjoying trolling).wink.png

Yeah you haven't taken much notice of me other than those huge replies within minutes of my posts laugh.png

Look, either you can't see the difference between the two, or you can see it and simply lack respect for others. Your line seems to be "Poor gear? I would never endanger myself that way so I'll flame you. Endanger passers by? I'll sympathize with you because I've done it myself." After all, the RubberSideDown risk-ometer is the industry standard so we'd better be careful if we over step the mark rolleyes.gif

So yeah, please ignore me and I'll return the favour - the others can continue to reap the benefits of the hypocritical safety lectures from the self appointed forum nanny coffee1.gif

Interesting attitude, as I thought you were the yardstick by which we were measured.

As I said, you're unable to grasp a simple distinction- I tried, but it's beyond you. I took notice of you on two threads, but my point was that I'm unaware if you're always this obtuse, or if this is something special for you.

I can sympathize with a rider who made a common mistake (with uncommon consequences)- I don't, however, excuse what he did. Gear is completely irrelevant to this point, but you refuse to see it as you're still so upset over a previous thread.

I agreed with a lot of what you said on the other thread I just felt the need to point out that nobody elected you the 'acceptable risk' police. It was you who appeared upset by that, maybe I touched a nerve, who knows?

Anyway, it's good to see you're gradually coming round to my point of view and you're now refusing to excuse what this guy did. That's much more in line with the 'holier than thou' stance you took on the other thread and should help to reduce the cognitive dissonance over time laugh.png.

Wow rubber boys toy boy comes in on cue again....why am i not surprised..whiskey distorts ones comprehension tho' huh biatch..

Regarding the MGP guys..nothing i said or insinuated anything near what you just dribbled out down the front of your nappies...way weird stuff .

Leave it with you nancies..coffee1.gif

Starting to get a bit insulting? Come come now, we are all fellow riders and the idea of the forum is to share ideas, present opinions and we can always agree to disagree at the end of the day.

But seriously, as a survival instructor, what are your comments and advice about the video I posted?

^^

Again, obtuse, Jonny- my point-of-view remains the same as it has from my first post- I've tried to simplify it for you, so perhaps instead of it changing, you're actually beginning to grasp it- good for you, though- I think posting in smaller 'sound-bites' is the best way to get something across to you as your comprehension is obviously limited- I'll remember that if it ever comes up again. I think what you're realizing is that you agreed with me all along on this thread, but in your rush to get a few shots in (or at least attempt to) the relevant points went over your head.

There's a difference between excusing what the rider did (I don't) and understanding the situation and sympathizing with it (I do- 'sympathy' means understanding the distress of another person- it's not just grandma saying 'Poor baby!' when you skin your knee- as a fellow rider I understand what happened- it wasn't excusable in the sense he should have known better, but it's worthy of sympathy from the perspective of another motorcyclist screwing up as I've screwed up as well, just not to that degree)- it's my fault for not noticing that that concept escaped you- I now have a better grasp of who I'm dealing with.;)

Edited by RubberSideDown

Just let him make some Training, STILFSER JOCH, Italy- Switzerland ! thumbsup.gif

stelvio_pass.jpg

A photo of heaven. Thanks biggrin.png

isnt that Stelvio Pass?

It is, STILFSER JOCH is the German name for it :)

• Like 1

Just let him make some Training, STILFSER JOCH, Italy- Switzerland ! thumbsup.gif

stelvio_pass.jpg

A photo of heaven. Thanks biggrin.png

isnt that Stelvio Pass?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stelvio_Pass

If you English, yes, but as that Pass is "nearly" the border between Switzerland and Italy and I am Austrian, I prefer the local names,wink.png

The Stelvio Pass (Italian: Passo dello Stelvio; German: Stilfser Joch), located in Italy, at 2757 m (9045 feet) is the highest paved mountain pass in the Eastern Alps, and the second highest in the Alps, slightly below the Col de l'Iseran (2770 m, 9088 feet).

Edited by ALFREDO
  • Like 1

^^

Again, obtuse, Jonny- my point-of-view remains the same as it has from my first post- I've tried to simplify it for you, so perhaps instead of it changing, you're actually beginning to grasp it- good for you, though- I think posting in smaller 'sound-bites' is the best way to get something across to you as your comprehension is obviously limited- I'll remember that if it ever comes up again. I think what you're realizing is that you agreed with me all along on this thread, but in your rush to get a few shots in (or at least attempt to) the relevant points went over your head.

There's a difference between excusing what the rider did (I don't) and understanding the situation and sympathizing with it (I do- 'sympathy' means understanding the distress of another person- it's not just grandma saying 'Poor baby!' when you skin your knee- as a fellow rider I understand what happened- it wasn't excusable in the sense he should have known better, but it's worthy of sympathy from the perspective of another motorcyclist screwing up as I've screwed up as well, just not to that degree)- it's my fault for not noticing that that concept escaped you- I now have a better grasp of who I'm dealing with.wink.png

Can I point out that 'empathy' is understanding the distress of another person and 'sympathy' is a concern for another person?

You actually used 'sympathy' correctly in your later definition (it wasn't excusable...as I've screwed up as well, just not to that degree).

This could actually be the cause for contention between you and Jonny; you are much more cognitively empathetic towards the rider and Jonny is more sympathetic towards society as a whole (whether you agree with the level of sympathy being afforded is truly deserved or not) in his expressed concern for someone who is not as masterful as they should be allowing such a situation to arise.

Well, we can split hairs about the definition, but the contention between Jonny and myself goes beyond the subtleties of the basic meaning of the word. In any case- like the previous thread that's been referenced- we are more-or-less in agreement regarding the basic premise, but it's more a personal issue between the two of us that's caused the rancor.

Regardless, I would say it's been thoroughly hashed out to the point where further discussion won't change it.

I will say 'sorry' to Jonny for the tone of some of my posts directed toward him- my position hasn't changed, but I could have done a better job of keeping myself in check.

I've ridden and driven this route many time and this thing happens all too often in this location for UK standards. I guess the sign slow meant nothing to him and he's very luck to be alive! Goes to show the importance of safety gear I suppose.

• 2 months later...

This whole thread reminds me of those arguments with the other half when neither of you give an inch, because you both know you're right, and it just goes on and on and ...

Back to the OP. "Motorcyclist survives a 12m plunge after making a split second decision to crash over a cliff to avoid a head-on collision with a car.

"Split second decision"? I doubt if there was any decision involved at all wink.png He was incredibly lucky not to have had a head-on.

The second video "Bike Crash SMIDSY" makes me cringe. Probably some old dear turning into her driveway like she's done a million times, thinking about brewing a cuppa, and simply not seeing the bike. Hard to tell but looks like she was indicating. From the shadow of the guy on the bike looks like sun was behind him so maybe that was a factor in the car not seeing him? Again, hard to tell in vid but also seems to me that the bike didn't brake till pretty late, by which time he was stuffed. Would be interesting to know how fast the bikes were going.

What would I have done? Hopefully not have hit the car. Easy to say from the safety of a comfy chair but I'd like to think that I've have seen that car indicating and slowing and had one of those "please tell me this fool isn't really going to turn across me", rolled off throttle and covered front brake in anticipation, and then hopefully managed to brake in time once the car started to turn. Equally maybe I'd have been enjoying a ride on a nice sunny day, thinking about getting through the built up area and into some open road, and just not seen the car till too late.

• Like 2