Buying a Mazda 3: Old or new model?

Honestly, in that C segment, of the Jap brands, Civic was the best car for a "car guy" in the past few years since the change. Everyone knows that the "most fun to drive" mainstream cars of the Japanese are the Mazda, and then the Honda.

People who think of cars as appliances buy Toyota and people who think of cars as very ugly appliances buy Nissan (in Thailand). Strangely, Nissan has some stylish cars in the US, but not here.

The Focus/Mazda 3 are better in every department.

I agree completely, that's why I said of the Jap brands only. The Civic cannot compare with the Mazda 3 at all now, and when including Ford, yes, the Focus also beats the Civic.

Strangely, it seems that Honda has kinda of gotten into that "Toyota" mentality of taking customers for granted and just delivering the same old crap to them for awhile now. I am still a Honda fan, but much less so than in the past. They are behind in the Accord/Camry hybrid race in Thailand, and the Civic is just plain boring now. The new City is still the best in the segment, but uglier styling IMO than before, and the CRV continues to be uninspiring. The new Vezel will be a hit in the small SUV segment when they finally ship, but Ford beat them to the punch by about two years.

• Like 1

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today i went to the mazda dealer near pattaya.

I have finally a look of the new mazda 3 and is really really nice. So i decide to get one.

I am not sure yet if take the sedan or the hathcback, actually i prefert the hatchback, but they told me thai pepole prefer sedan cars, so for the future maybe will be more is to resell it.

Actually they cannot give me discont, but they can give 1 class insurance, free registration and a cople of other usuall things

You should wait if you can for the next car show you get a lot more options than from that dealer in Pattaya.

Sorry, when is the next car show and where ? Thank You

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by marino28

A superb alternative to a Honda City, should upset Hondas Sales a bit. My LIKES ...Everything about it exept Brain Dead Black, Hatcback Model and that Display Ting.thumbsup.gif .

How ever will I sleep at night knowing you do not like my shiney new black hatch.

Hehe, Honda City indeed. I think Ace should read the review in the Bangkok Post about how the new Mazda 3 compares with his dated Civic. rolleyes.gif

No one with a passion for cars would buy a Civic. Dull, dated and cramped.

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk

Honestly, in that C segment, of the Jap brands, Civic was the best car for a "car guy" in the past few years since the change. Everyone knows that the "most fun to drive" mainstream cars of the Japanese are the Mazda, and then the Honda.

People who think of cars as appliances buy Toyota and people who think of cars as very ugly appliances buy Nissan (in Thailand). Strangely, Nissan has some stylish cars in the US, but not here.

Thats why the juke is all over the place....

Sent from my LG-P970

Oh Dear, im not the Cruze Guy, that hurt. Can't disagree with what anyone says but the Civic. The Ford beats it hands down to the Dealer to get ignored about his broken Box n Engine.Yes the 3 is better, no Question , but i'm always cautious of mainstay Truck dealers, same with Mitsu / GM /Ford,.They only seem interested with Clonkers, with the exception of Toyo who seem to have the right balance of Trained personnel on Benzine and Oil. I getto take a few different rides for service, and i must say Toyota and Honda win hands down.coffee1.gif

Well I WAS thinking about buying a new Chevy Cruze till I did some research. The new 2014 Mazda 3 is TOTALLY redesigned and has been picked buy some as CAR of the Year and definitely best in its class. So I went out and test drove one and I was sold. Wanted to buy the top spec 5 door model (1,094,000 baht) but the only interior you could get was white which doesn't work for me so I went for the next model down (974,000 baht) with a black interior and added on the nav system. Believe it or not 1 out of every 3 Mazda's sold world wide is a Mazda 3 which usually means no discounting. They did throw in a few freebies, one year free insurance, tinted windows, car cover, floor mats and side window trim that is supposed to cut down wind noise at high speeds which it did in the test model I drove (had it up to 140). Sure do like the heads up display. Get to pick it up on Monday.............time for a road trip.

• 1 month later...

Here is a quote we received today for the 2014 Mazda3 base model. Sensors are 2,600 baht and free with these two financing options (I am told they are an add-on and not factory installed). The dealer we visited last weekend had 6 new 2014 Mazda3 hatchbacks ready for delivery to customers and at least two were the 2.0C Sports version (leather seats, infotainment system,16 inch wheels) but none were 2.0E Sports (base model).

2014 Mazda 3 Skyactive 2.0E

Option 1: Free insurance first year

Full Price 833,000.00 Net Price 833,000.00

Down payment 324,870.00

Amount to be Financed 508,130.00

interest rate* w/ free insurance 3.00%

mortage each month for 48 months 11,856.37

total car cost 893,975.60

Option 2: No Free insurance

Full Price 833,000.00

Net Price 833,000.00

Down payment 324,870.00

interest rate* no free insurance 2.39% 48 month 11,598.07

We need to buy Viraya Insurance 23,600.00

total car cost 905,177.23

diff 11,201.63

Free insurance (If Option 1 selected) 23,600.00

Lamina film 4,000.00

4 sensors with car color 2,600.00

plate registration fee 5,500.00

gas 500.00

rubber mats 680.00

registration frame 350.00

Total free worth 13,630.00

need to buy

car cover 1,600.00

Red plate deposit 3,000.00

Total to pay on day 341,326.37

So which option did you take ?

Today i went to the mazda dealer near pattaya.

I have finally a look of the new mazda 3 and is really really nice. So i decide to get one.

I am not sure yet if take the sedan or the hathcback, actually i prefert the hatchback, but they told me thai pepole prefer sedan cars, so for the future maybe will be more is to resell it.

Actually they cannot give me discont, but they can give 1 class insurance, free registration and a cople of other usuall things

Have a look on some of the Thai motor sites the Mazda 3 and Ford Focus both appear the same, the 2nd hand price is higher for the hatch then the saloon/sedan.. yet with Mazda the saloon and hatch were both the same price new.

My considerations ended up with a slightly used Ford Focus instead of M3. A new Focus model is apparently soon under way so the old test drive cars are on sale (so on red plates). I got a 2.0 gasoline full spec 2012 model, 18kkm, for 650 kBht. Would have liked a diesel engine, but not many around and could not wait any longer...

I think good savings compared to a new M3 (or Focus). U always run a risk buying used, but I would say its well contained when mileage is that low.

My considerations ended up with a slightly used Ford Focus instead of M3. A new Focus model is apparently soon under way so the old test drive cars are on sale (so on red plates). I got a 2.0 gasoline full spec 2012 model, 18kkm, for 650 kBht. Would have liked a diesel engine, but not many around and could not wait any longer...

I think good savings compared to a new M3 (or Focus). U always run a risk buying used, but I would say its well contained when mileage is that low.

No need to wait...the new focus doesn't come with diesel:)

Yes, I knew Ford took out the diesel option quite recently - I was still looking for a used model. BTW I don't understand the diesel reluctance here as the newest generation(s) are very well suited for private cars.

Here is a quote we received today for the 2014 Mazda3 base model. Sensors are 2,600 baht and free with these two financing options (I am told they are an add-on and not factory installed). The dealer we visited last weekend had 6 new 2014 Mazda3 hatchbacks ready for delivery to customers and at least two were the 2.0C Sports version (leather seats, infotainment system,16 inch wheels) but none were 2.0E Sports (base model).

2014 Mazda 3 Skyactive 2.0E

Option 1: Free insurance first year

Full Price 833,000.00 Net Price 833,000.00

Down payment 324,870.00

interest rate* w/ free insurance 3.00%

mortage each month for 48 months 11,856.37

total car cost 893,975.60

Option 2: No Free insurance

Full Price 833,000.00

Net Price 833,000.00

Down payment 324,870.00

interest rate* no free insurance 2.39% 48 month 11,598.07

We need to buy Viraya Insurance 23,600.00

total car cost 905,177.23

diff 11,201.63

Free insurance (If Option 1 selected) 23,600.00

Lamina film 4,000.00

4 sensors with car color 2,600.00

plate registration fee 5,500.00

gas 500.00

rubber mats 680.00

registration frame 350.00

Total free worth 13,630.00

need to buy

car cover 1,600.00

Red plate deposit 3,000.00

Total to pay on day 341,326.37

So which option did you take ?

We went with Option 1 and got a slightly better deal at a different Mazda dealership, Sukhumvit 65. They gave us 3M film, 1000 baht cash (for gas), and threw in a free car cover and floor carpet mats. The rear sensors are out of stock and we will need to get them installed later. Drove to Mae Hong Son and back to Bangkok last week and I am very pleased with the vehicle and can highly recommend it.biggrin.png

10389514_10152138647462267_2437435745967

2014 Mazda 3 Sedan Titanium Flash Mica

Edited by Spinning Dwarf

Oh Dear, im not the Cruze Guy, that hurt. Can't disagree with what anyone says but the Civic. The Ford beats it hands down to the Dealer to get ignored about his broken Box n Engine.Yes the 3 is better, no Question , but i'm always cautious of mainstay Truck dealers, same with Mitsu / GM /Ford,.They only seem interested with Clonkers, with the exception of Toyo who seem to have the right balance of Trained personnel on Benzine and Oil. I getto take a few different rides for service, and i must say Toyota and Honda win hands down.coffee1.gif

you repeatedly keep harping on about this broken box and engine and the Ford dealer.

Can you elaborate on what you are talking about.

Yes, a Brit Teacher of limited funds stretched himself and bought a New Fiesta with a wankey box. Now traders and dealers know some are a prob he cant afford to change due to the lo PX offer.Now,if he had stuck to a Honda/ Toyo they would have fixed it without excuses. Dont know about Engine,your the Expert in that area.At least you wont get the Crap from Mazda like Ford gave You.

Yes, a Brit Teacher of limited funds stretched himself and bought a New Fiesta with a wankey box. Now traders and dealers know some are a prob he cant afford to change due to the lo PX offer.Now,if he had stuck to a Honda/ Toyo they would have fixed it without excuses. Dont know about Engine,your the Expert in that area.At least you wont get the Crap from Mazda like Ford gave You.

Mazda will serve the same crap if Iam in breach of their company policy in regards to vehicle warranty.

New kid on the block For Sale now in Thailand, both in hatch and saloon versions the MG 6..

appears also the same price range, other than driving something different cannot see why anyone would buy it at the same price, as the new Mazda 3 is a better car so far as I can see + reviews..

New kid on the block For Sale now in Thailand, both in hatch and saloon versions the MG 6..

appears also the same price range, other than driving something different cannot see why anyone would buy it at the same price, as the new Mazda 3 is a better car so far as I can see + reviews..

The BK Post published a review yesterday, and basically said it was crap compared to the class leading Focus and Mazda 3, and the SAME PRICE as these well established brands. Pretty big mistake considering the only people who remember this brand are sitting retired in Nakhon Nowhere, Thailand and drive Isuzu and Toyota trucks. tongue.png

Seen the add for the MG on Thai tv?, Has the Union flag draped over it and presumeably some Brit driving it.

Strange for a product that is Chinese but put together at their new factory in Thailand.

I owned an MGBT in the UK in the 70's, last of the chrome bumper types. It was crap and rusted to bits but the overdrive switch on the dashboard was kind of interesting.

Later I replaced it with a Toyota MR2, the difference between the two!.

MG are Chinese now aren't they ?..... might as well buy a chery or great wall.

Volvo are Chinese now aren't they ?

Jag and Land Rover are Indian, so may as well buy a Tata ?

Do wonder here how the 2nd hand New MG will stand up ? re- in UK a MG/Rover 75 a 1.8 2002 model sell for 500 - 800 £, the odd few here same model and year 675 - 750,000 baht !!!

MG are Chinese now aren't they ?..... might as well buy a chery or great wall.

Volvo are Chinese now aren't they ?

Jag and Land Rover are Indian, so may as well buy a Tata ?

Do wonder here how the 2nd hand New MG will stand up ? re- in UK a MG/Rover 75 a 1.8 2002 model sell for 500 - 800 £, the odd few here same model and year 675 - 750,000 baht !!!

Not a fair comparison and you know it. Volvo is a going quality concern the Chinese just took over ownership. Same with Jag and Land Rover with the Indians. MG is a ghost brand since 2005 and is basically starting up from scratch with mainstream models the original MG never made.

Chery and Great Wall, and Chinese MG and the Chinese will eventually make world class cars...just not yet...

The BK Post published a review yesterday, and basically said it was crap compared to the class leading Focus and Mazda 3, and the SAME PRICE as these well established brands. Pretty big mistake considering the only people who remember this brand are sitting retired in Nakhon Nowhere, Thailand and drive Isuzu and Toyota trucks. tongue.png

yep went there and read what it says.... thought a bit odd the next model to be built here the MG 3..... would have thought would have be cheaper and better to build the Crossover ? as uses the same platform so less costs.. can't see people with small Toyota's and Honda's changing to a MG 3

• Like 1

yep went there and read what it says.... thought a bit odd the next model to be built here the MG 3..... would have thought would have be cheaper and better to build the Crossover ? as uses the same platform so less costs.. can't see people with small Toyota's and Honda's changing to a MG 3

The Koreans used a smart strategy to eventually win over customers, gradually improving quality, features, and increasing pricing incrementally, but today sell world beater cars at still slightly cheaper prices than the Japanese or Americans. MG is doomed to failure if they start out of the box selling premium price cars that are noticeably inferior to the competition, AND with no brand equity or service infrastructure, especially in Thailand, where as you state, sheeple only know Toyota and Honda.