Chiang Mai To Chiang Rai

giruz

Hi Guys,

I will spend few days in Chiang Mai/Rai...

can anyone help me with my travels?

So far my plans are:

1) 16th of July: flight to Chiang Mai from BKK

2) 16/17/18: Chiang Mai trips

3) evening 18th: flight to Chiang Rai

4) 19: trip to the Golden Triangle

5) 20: from Chiang Rai back to BKK

6) 21: back to Australia

Any suggestions on what to see/stay/do in Chiang Mai?

(any suggestions also fror a travel agent that will not try to ripp me off?)

thanks

g.

Many expats use Travel Shoppe right at Thapae Road and Thapae Gate near Starbucks and Thapae Gate Books.

Great English and honest! :o

what about the buses from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai?

Any help about this?

thanks

g.

what about the buses from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai?

Any help about this?

Seems some conflicting information between these two sites so you could give the Arcade a call to verify time and availibility.

http://www.thailine.com/thailand/english/n...tm#Chiang%20Rai

http://www.chiangmai-thai.com/bus_schedule.htm

Edited by tywais

Some quick observations:

Are you sure that flights between Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai still exist? Check this. If indeed they don't then you will be bussing it from the main Arcade terminal. Take an aircon bus, they're a bit faster but the trip can still easily take 4 hours.

Secondly, let me vent on The Golden Triangle in it's current tourist-industry meaning. Traditionally, the lot of Northern Thailand and large parts of Burma, Laos and even China were part of the Golden Triangle. It still sounds adventurous to some. Currently though 'The Golden Triangle' is the spot where the borders of Thailand, Burma and Laos intersect, where ther'es absolutely NOTHING to see. Well, unless you count the big sign 'golden triangle' they erected so you can take a picture there, and the inevitable souvenir market selling mostly the same stuff you already decided against buying when walking the Chiang Mai Night Bazar.

So... I would avoid that particular one.

Actually, seeing that the Golden Triangle is the only thing you have listed for Chiang Rai, I would avoid Chiang Rai altogether and opt for either tourting Chiang Mai more extensively (say, Chiang Dao (www.chiangdao.com), or Mae Hong Son, or if you feel like going a bit off the beaten path then something like Phrae-Nan. Very scenic area, and non-touristy Northern Thai towns. (Phrae especially)

Though realistically, with 4 days total, I would book a trek/tour in Chiang Mai so you get a feel of the countryside, the mountains, villages and waterfalls and national parks and all those, (say 2 days one night) and spend the rest fo the time exploring Chiang Mai and around. In any case there's nothing that a 1 day Chiang Rai trip would add to what you already get in and around Chiang Mai.

This all strictly My Humble Opinion, ask this on the Chiang Rai forum and chances are you'll hear different. For sure you can spend a great 4 days in/around either place.

Cheers,

Chanchao