Songkran festival the magnet for Thai tourism

webfact

Songkran festival the magnet for Thai tourism
By Digital Content

1396318279220.jpg

BANGKOK, Apr 1 – Domestic tourism will return to life this month as Thai and foreign tourists celebrate the water-splashing Songkran festival nationwide.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) said long holidays in April and May will stimulate local tourism despite people’s anxiety over continued political conflicts.

TAT Governor Thawatchai Arunyik said a survey among 600 sampled hotel operators and 1,200 people found that slightly more than half -- 50.6 per cent of the respondents will travel in April-May and 86.5 per cent said they will take their vacations this month.

The three favourite provinces are Chiang Mai, Phuket and Chon Buri.

TAT conducted the survey in six tourism provinces – Bangkok, Kanchanaburi, Chon Buri, Khon Kaen, Chiang Mai and Songkhla – between March 1 and 8.

Pattaya, Khao Sarn Road and the Koo Muang moat in Chiang Mai are the three favourite places among 90 per cent of people when they first think of Songkran celebration, according to the survey.

Almost 80 per cent of tourism operators predicted active tourism in April but 46.3 per cent were concerned with the political unrest.

Mr Thawatchai said tourism operators were concerned with the anti-government movement’s planned major rally on Saturday and judgments in several political-related cases which may affect tourism.

Chinese and European tourists have started returning to Thailand, he said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-04-01

"Mr Thawatchai said tourism operators were concerned with the anti-government movement’s planned major rally on Saturday"

He should be more worried about the planned pro-government UDD rally coming Saturday coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Yep...... but once again the festival fun will be overshadowed by the fools in parliament.

Thai culture, like nostalgia, just ain't what it used to be. sad.png

disagree it will be over shadowed by the fools in red shirts.

there is no parliament at the moment. But when there is it is more a source of entertainment.

Red shirts are not a part of Thai culture. They are a group of illiterate thugs hired by a morally bankrupted criminal on the run from the law. More like the war lords in Afghanistan.

• Like 2

Yep...... but once again the festival fun will be overshadowed by the fools in parliament.

there is no parliament at the moment. But when there is it is more a source of entertainment.

Red shirts are not a part of Thai culture. They are a group of illiterate thugs hired by a morally bankrupted criminal on the run from the law. More like the war lords in Afghanistan.

I was referring to the politicians in general.

do tourists really come here specifically for songkran? or do they just happen to be here during songkran? before i lived here i had no idea about songkran. is songkran really that widely known about outside thailand?

Tough question.

I too had no idea about it but I do now and have spread the word back home. So far one son has come specifically at that time of the year and is considering it again. How ever among back packers I think there is a grapevine that spreads the word.

I believe every one should experience it at least once. A chance to see young and old enjoy the same unreasonable fun orientated proceedings. A chance to be kids again skinny dipping. Yes there are those who abuse it with buckets of cold water at high speed motorbikes ion the highway and they should be locked up during the festival.

Twice is optional. I myself have experienced it twice and am happy with that will withdraw from the festivities unless I get the chance to ride around in the brother in laws truck with me in the cab and the children in the back with a supply of water.

I was referring to the politicians in general.

You get them year round. As I said they are amusing to watch. Also in many countries.

That pic of nice traditionally clad young women sprinkling water on that beflowered salaeng not really a true depiction of the racing tanker loaded water firing cannons aimed at passing motorcycles, is it? Not to mention the drink fueled war zone that is Silom for five whole days.

• Like 1

Can't wait for the quality tourists throwing ice water or using pressure pipes to shoot water in the face of passing bike-drivers. Talking about a certain low class type quality tourist, often seen in the Boukao area. Lovely cultural travel. Happy Songkran. MS>

• Like 1

let me tell you about songkran. ... i have been everywhere. here is a list of the three places i DONT GO. all from experience and from me and my friends.

Silom is a germathon. from the bts you can feel and see the steam rise. its disgusting. just imagining the stuff on the floor of silom.... getting into your nose and eyes. expect a doctor visit.

kaosarn sucks. it will take you hours to move 10 meters. and ladies... expect to get groped. the place is literally nut to butt. and those greedy asses sell water everywhere.

chaing mai.. ahhh. i have never played in chaing mai and NOT get sick. same goes for most of my friends too. but it is pretty good if you dont mind the 70% white people playing and getting sick. (its the moat water.)

the BEST PLACE TO PLAY. (in my opinion) ... 99.999% thai, clean, FREE water, Phuttamonthon sai 4. and the river next to it..Klongtaveewattanna.

warining tons of children. ice water, and fire hoses.

songkran is about paying respect to your elders. dont forget that. oh and one more thing. EVERYyear after songkran there is a sever drought. lol. yet nobody in thailand has yet to put the two things together.

let me tell you about songkran. ... i have been everywhere. here is a list of the three places i DONT GO. all from experience and from me and my friends.

Silom is a germathon. from the bts you can feel and see the steam rise. its disgusting. just imagining the stuff on the floor of silom.... getting into your nose and eyes. expect a doctor visit.

kaosarn sucks. it will take you hours to move 10 meters. and ladies... expect to get groped. the place is literally nut to butt. and those greedy asses sell water everywhere.

chaing mai.. ahhh. i have never played in chaing mai and NOT get sick. same goes for most of my friends too. but it is pretty good if you dont mind the 70% white people playing and getting sick. (its the moat water.)

the BEST PLACE TO PLAY. (in my opinion) ... 99.999% thai, clean, FREE water, Phuttamonthon sai 4. and the river next to it..Klongtaveewattanna.

songkran is about paying respect to your elders. dont forget that. oh and one more thing. EVERYyear after songkran there is a sever drought. lol. yet nobody in thailand has yet to put the two things together.

I like Songkran in bangsaen

Taxi Drivers, Motorcycle taxi drivers, Shop staff, food cart vendors, all manners of Thai life and not forgetting 8 million supporters who voted....Not part of Thai Culture...what planet you on?

Can't wait for the quality tourists throwing ice water or using pressure pipes to shoot water in the face of passing bike-drivers. Talking about a certain low class type quality tourist, often seen in the Boukao area. Lovely cultural travel. Happy Songkran. MS>

Oh, now you are talking about the really Cheap Charlies. w00t.gifcheesy.gif

Taxi Drivers, Motorcycle taxi drivers, Shop staff, food cart vendors, all manners of Thai life and not forgetting 8 million supporters who voted....Not part of Thai Culture...what planet you on?

If the Red Sh!ts are what YOU consider Thai Culture, then God help Thailand. It is doomed.

• Like 1

If the Red Sh!ts are what YOU consider Thai Culture, then God help Thailand. It is doomed.

We should differentiate between the PT supporters who are classed as red shirts and the militant arm of PT also classed as redshirts. I do not advocate violence in any form i am a supporter of the electoral process however i know many thais who are red shirt but are not and never have been illiterate thugs as you stated. Theres good and bad in all and us foreigners really shouldnt generalize when making statements about the different groups............One Man One Vote winner take all!!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

do tourists really come here specifically for songkran? or do they just happen to be here during songkran? before i lived here i had no idea about songkran. is songkran really that widely known about outside thailand?

I think U maybe right.

Appreciate your observations. I have twice experienced the respect of just pouring a little water on my hand both times here in Chiang Mai. Once from a tuck tuck driver and once from several kids. Please note both times were not on the moat.

Chiang Mai is a big place you don't have to celebrate it at the moat unless you choose to. I in my younger days would have been rite in the front lines at it. I am old now but don't feel that is a reason to deny the younger generation of the joy I would have had in my younger years if I had been here.wai.gif

We should differentiate between the PT supporters who are classed as red shirts and the militant arm of PT also classed as redshirts. I do not advocate violence in any form i am a supporter of the electoral process however i know many thais who are red shirt but are not and never have been illiterate thugs as you stated. Theres good and bad in all and us foreigners really shouldnt generalize when making statements about the different groups............One Man One Vote winner take all!!

The topic of songkran was brought up being affected by the political atmosphere here in Thailand. I merely pointed out that to date there has only been one group that would affect the festivities. They have a record of violence with no concern for any one but them selves. This group is the red shirts. I have a hard time believing that honest hard working citizens would take part in these activities or support them yet they do. Leaving only the matter of low intelligence to use as a defense. How can any one with an ounce of sense justify invading a hospital. Yet it is just the way these people do business.wai.gif

I found it interesting that the army had no concern over the upcoming anti government protestors mass rally on the weekend yet for some reason they are concerned about the coming red shirt rally. Do you not suppose unlike you they have learned from history?

Yes the upcoming festival will see less tourists.sad.png It is directly traceable to the actions of the red shirts.thumbsup.gif

Best just to get blind drunk all day and play with water pistols then hit the road on your motorbike and home for some dry clothes then speed back into town as fast as you can for a few more beers as it gets a lot quieter at night, be safe and dry during Songkran wear an approved crash helmet.