2m to spend & I have a short-list

triffid

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I recommend the new Honda CRV although it wasn't on your list. I have had two CRV's here in Thailand and as soon as I sell my 2007 model I will order the new one.

Testdrive a BMW X3 wink.png

The budget is B 2-2.5M...so maybe a 3-5 year old model. Agree the X3 is nice but B 3-3.5M is a big pill to swallow (for 1.5M car).

I replied to "Spaniel", not the OP

Kia Sorrento. Lovely car, superb engine, great to drive and makes the CRV redundant.

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk

Can't understand why they don't bring the Sportage to Thailand - smaller suv and would soak up a slightly different category of customer.

As a mater of curiosity - or maybe it could become of practical use - is there an efficient/easy way/website(s) to browse available thai grey market cars and approximate prices - in english?

No

So the only way is to scour the back pages of the Bangkok Post?

why is it folks think new is the only option?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Except where I like a newly launched model - e.g. the mini or the vw golf - I would happily consider a second-hand purchase provided I had reason to be confident of its condition. Were I to opt for a BMW I would certainly check with the dealer if he had a demo or a thoroughly checked of the model I wanted. Of course I wouldn't go beyond two years old.

Kia Sorrento. Lovely car, superb engine, great to drive and makes the CRV redundant.

Can't understand why they don't bring the Sportage to Thailand - smaller suv and would soak up a slightly different category of customer.

From what is available here from all the manufacterers, it appears Thais only like low spec, petrol engined cars in white or silver. I guess Kia's importer is just following the trend.

I juz love my Sorento... :)

Sent from my HTC Butterfly s using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So does my boss, but a choice of colours would've been nice.

I recommend the new Honda CRV although it wasn't on your list. I have had two CRV's here in Thailand and as soon as I sell my 2007 model I will order the new one.

The budget is B 2-2.5M...so maybe a 3-5 year old model. Agree the X3 is nice but B 3-3.5M is a big pill to swallow (for 1.5M car).

I like the BMW X3 but I think the price is around 2.1 million which is a bit more then I want to spend for a vehicle here in Thailand. For 1,278,000 I can get the CRV 2.0 E, which ain't no BMW, but pretty decent vehicle plus they (Honda) now gives you free insurance.

I like the BMW X3 but I think the price is around 2.1 million which is a bit more then I want to spend for a vehicle here in Thailand. For 1,278,000 I can get the CRV 2.0 E, which ain't no BMW, but pretty decent vehicle plus they (Honda) now gives you free insurance.

Not sure if it was a typing error, the cheapest X3 is 3.1 million + is petrol

The Sorento is 1.6 million and diesel ...... pity the new Sportage is not here as looks good.

As for the looks and price of the CRV, sorry the Tuscon looks much better and have a diesel option..

The Sorento is 1.6 million and diesel ...... pity the new Sportage is not here as looks good.

As for the looks and price of the CRV, sorry the Tuscon looks much better and have a diesel option..

The Sorrento is about as big as an suv gets, am I wrong? I need a small suv. But I agree that if I had to choose between them I'd take the Sorrento or the Hyundai over the CRV. Does Kia give you a maintenance package?

Edited by triffid

The Sorrento is about as big as an suv gets, am I wrong? I need a small suv. But I agree that if I had to choose between them I'd take the Sorrento or the Hyundai over the CRV. Does Kia give you a maintenance package?

Kia makes very good cars now, and are fighting it out hard with Hyundai in major markets against the Japs. However, here in Thailand, it is still a very risky bet, especially at such a relatively dear price point. Resale will be very difficult until and unless Kia establishes a major presence in the country for all the reasons many time cited on this forum. You are much safer buying a CRV or CX5 for that money.

I stand corrected. I was looking at the BMW X1. I still think for the money the CRV 2.0 E is the best deal.

I stand corrected. I was looking at the BMW X1. I still think for the money the CRV 2.0 E is the best deal.

For the size and price of a CRV also come the Mazda CX5 and the Subaru XV even the all new Ford Eurosport is not that small and a fraction of the BMW price..

Well under 2 million comes both the Volvo V50 or the all new V40......... but then the CRV to me look like a bloated pig, each upgrade get more bloated looks.

Edited by ignis

I dont quite get it while most people tend to overlook their preferred choice second hand to get it into the desired price range unless perhaps if that makes it too difficult getting a car loan?

more likely to get less depreciation and reasonable servicing thus lower overall costs and better driving pleasure. a bmw from 5-10 years old probably is the best value in the land of tricky motoring!

I dont quite get it while most people tend to overlook their preferred choice second hand to get it into the desired price range unless perhaps if that makes it too difficult getting a car loan?

more likely to get less depreciation and reasonable servicing thus lower overall costs and better driving pleasure. a bmw from 5-10 years old probably is the best value in the land of tricky motoring!

Some of us are not quite so confident of our negotiating skills nor our ability to spot a dud. Actually this would be true outside Thailand as well as within. Nevertheless a poor Thai speaking Farang may, dare I say it, be taken for a ride.

Secondly new cars often come with some sort of package: insurance, servicing etc

And lastly there that extra je ne sais quoi about buying new, the smell, the knowledge that you are the only owner and know exactly what has happened to the car and even driving rather too frequently past your neighbours making sure they see biggrin.png

I guess some of us will always prefer new whereas others will enjoy and relish trying to get a good deal second hand. Personally I am in the former group

On other note glad to see the CRV is coming back into the frame. Would be my choice or a Subaru

fair enough we all go through the motions and in fact I was pretty close to buy new or almost new again for the 3rd time but as it happened my choice of mazda 3 or cx5 didnt quite deliver on the wow factor combined with an unsure wait of some 3 months so while test driving many extremes of sporty vs comfort I.e. 2004,2009,2010 models audi tt.bm320 and benz c200 coupe+golf gti tuned! then it just felt right in only one case and thus there was no more what if ;)

no excellent thai but actually most 2nd hand representative spoke better eng than mazda dealers so I used whatever thai friends I had to help me along :))

Yes a BMW X1 2013 is around 1.4 million. there again a X3 cost about the same for a 2012 saving a lot more. there are lots out there, here are just 2

http://www.one2car.com/BMW_X3/D07140217 OK it is NOT the newest shape F25

http://www.taladrod.com/w20/Search/CarDet40.aspx?cib=1387784

Do notice both with BMW and Benz they loose a lots in the 1st 2 years......... from year 2 - 7 lose very little

yep most makes loose a lot of value during the first years and while the japanese keeps loosing the euro cars tend to keep value even past 10 years!

as I calculated some 10% were depreciated per year for my previous toyota and mazda :(

but I do see many old women driving particularly the benz indeed...

however back on topic for those insisting to buy new maybe this hot promotion from carnax rana9 is exaxtly what he was waiting for...the countryman slightly above 2M now:

เถ้าแก่ชัชขนกองทัพรถหรูกว่า30รุ่น ในงาน"CARMAX SUMMER SALE ที่สุดของราคาพิเศษ" อาทิCountrymanประกอบนอก จาก2.39 เหลือเพียง1.99ล้านบาท ผ่อนดาวน์ 0%นาน10เดือน ณ ลานน้ำพุ Megaบางนา ตั้งแต่วันที่ 16-22 เม.ย.57 สอบถามโทร 023191111 เฉพาะลูกค้าที่งานเท่านั้น