Driving Licence Sakon Nakhon

bushman1666

I am attempting to get a Thai driving licence and need some advice. It is not the licence that is the issue, it is the local immigration office.

To set the scene: I am here on a Non Immigrant O visa, I have a full British Driving licence but no International permit (it expired). The driving test centre said I need a medical and proof of residency from the immigration office. All sounds easy enough.

So I went to immigration to get the necessary docs. 1st visit I was told I would need two copies of passport and 500 baht, nothing else was required. Despite the fact we were sitting next to a photocopier we got sent away to get the copies.

2nd visit: On return to the immigration office the criteria changed when we saw a different immigration officer. Now I'm told I need to be on a house book, my wife has to guarantee me, I need two photographs and the fee shot up to 2000 baht.

I get the feeling I'm being fleeced. Do I have to do this at my local immigration office or can I go say to Udon Thani?

Confused. Can anybody help?

Thanks

When I got both my automobile and motor cycle drivers licenses, I was required to obtain the same stuff as you - a copy of my passport, photos and wife's Thai ID card served as proof of residence - no house book or anything else other than the wife's word.

We were able to get the photocopies and photos at the immigration office in Korat - there is a little corner office where a nice lady did all that very quickly, easily and cheaply - and immigration charged me one thousand baht per license (if I recall correctly) - since I was getting two separate licenses I needed two completely packages of documentation.

I found the process straightforward, quick, and the people were very pleasant and easy to deal with.

I will be going back in November to repeat the process to obtain my five year licenses for both vehicles.

I am here on a non imm O-A visa (not an extension of stay but a visa obtained via the Los Angeles Thai Consulate) for the purpose of retirement.

Edited by SpokaneAl

That same proof of residence form is 200thb in the jomtien immigration. No matter what they charge, make sure they give you an official receipt that way you know if the money is just going in their pockets.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

For the OP. You do need some form of prof as to your residency to present to immigration for a certificate of residency. Make sure you have that and give Udon or KK immigration a go. If successful get a medical for 50 baht from any local bone doctor and go to ANY Land Transport Department and apply for your DL.

Thanks for your help. In order to avoid confrontation with local BiB immigration scammers I think it best to go to Udon Thani for a day. Can do some shopping at same time.

Sent from my very clever thingy that uses battery far too quickly

This is worth a try before you go to any immigration office.

Go to your local police station, ask for a proof of residence letter and tell them what it is for.

Take the documents as required by immigration.

They have a template for this and just require you and the blue book owner to sign once they have filled in the details.

No cost unless you want to 'donate' something to the tea chest.

This saved me a 250km round trip to my nearest immigration office last year.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've just recently went thru the same the OP described in Sakon Nakhon. I needed 1 for 5 yr. license and 1 for new motorbike / 1000 baht each. G/F had to sign paper work guarenteeing my place of residence.

I got my first car license in Samui. Immigration just wanted an address, any address with no proof needed.

Interested in hearing OP's final conclusion. how did it all work out??

I also paid 1000 baht in total last September for both my car and motorcycle licence (1 year for both).

In Sakho Nakhon.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by longstebe