Thai Tourist Police spearheads safety measures for the upcoming Songkran Festival

webfact

Tourism Police spearheads safety measures for the upcoming Songkran Festival

PNSOC570401001000501_01042014_032713.jpg

BANGKOK, 1 April 2014 (NNT) - The Commander of the Tourism Police has announced that he is ready to set forward safety plans for the upcoming Songkran Festival.

Police Major General Apichai Thi-amat, the Commander of the Tourism Police, stated that he is ready to implement measures to ensure the safety of all travelers for the upcoming Songkran Festival.

The police commander said he has deployed a team of officers to monitor tourist sites and at venues where the Songkran Festival would be held.

He is also finding ways to provide convenience for foreigners who would be attending the festival by sending in a few public relations officers to help them better understand about Thai culture.

The police chief is also launching a campaign against alcohol in order to prevent possible accidents and to reduce crime.

Besides that, the police commander says he is unconcerned whether there would be any rioters among the crowd to stir-up violence within the tourist sites. Nonetheless, he has instructed his team of officers to scrutinize the areas in a stringent manner.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-04-01 footer_n.gif

BANGKOK, 1 April 2014 (NNT) - The Commander of the Tourism Police has announced that he is ready to set forward safety plans for the upcoming Songkran Festival.

Police Major General Apichai Thi-amat, the Commander of the Tourism Police, stated that he is ready to implement measures to ensure the safety of all travelers for the upcoming Songkran Festival.

The police commander said he has deployed a team of officers to monitor tourist sites and at venues where the Songkran Festival would be held.

He is also finding ways to provide convenience for foreigners who would be attending the festival by sending in a few public relations officers to help them better understand about Thai culture.

The police chief is also launching a campaign against alcohol in order to prevent possible accidents and to reduce crime.

Besides that, the police commander says he is unconcerned whether there would be any rioters among the crowd to stir-up violence within the tourist sites. Nonetheless, he has instructed his team of officers to scrutinize the areas in a stringent manner.

nntlogo.jpg

Every year this is what the police say. At this, some police are more serious than others.

Several years ago, the wife and I were on the way to the Rose Garden to meet friends (Hi So's - some now with the PTP). When I stopped at a red light, a car behind me didn't notice the red light and slammed into us. He was drunk. My wife flagged over the first policeman she saw, and after a brief discussion with him, he said no problem as the (drunk) driver admits it is his fault, and we should get the info and all of us can be on our way. The drunk driver was free to go and maybe kill someone at the next red light.

The next cop we found pulled the guy over and took us all to the station for his Captain to get involved. The Captain was a good guy and to shorten the story, after screaming at the drunk driver for endangering people, had a doctor take a blood sample, and after an hour or so, arrested him.

If you are driving during Songran, expect that many will be drunk, and drive slowly and accordingly. Forget the police. it is on us to drive slower, despite less traffic. For those who have lived here a long time, we all know there will be many drunks in cars and motorcycles and don't expect them to slow down. We need to drive slow.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

saucy mare back right can come and help me travel safely if shes not too busy. Apart from that, in 1 sentence it says " He is also finding ways to provide convenience for foreigners who would be attending the festival by sending in a few public relations officers to help them better understand about Thai culture." Afterwards he goes on to say "The police chief is also launching a campaign against alcohol in order to prevent possible accidents and to reduce crime." so which is it? does he want people to understand Thai culture and get p!ss parra and drive like the biggest moron on the road or not?

Edited by JeremyBowskill

nntlogo.jpg

Every year this is what the police say. At this, some police are more serious than others.

Several years ago, the wife and I were on the way to the Rose Garden to meet friends (Hi So's - some now with the PTP). When I stopped at a red light, a car behind me didn't notice the red light and slammed into us. He was drunk. My wife flagged over the first policeman she saw, and after a brief discussion with him, he said no problem as the (drunk) driver admits it is his fault, and we should get the info and all of us can be on our way. The drunk driver was free to go and maybe kill someone at the next red light.

The next cop we found pulled the guy over and took us all to the station for his Captain to get involved. The Captain was a good guy and to shorten the story, after screaming at the drunk driver for endangering people, had a doctor take a blood sample, and after an hour or so, arrested him.

If you are driving during Songran, expect that many will be drunk, and drive slowly and accordingly. Forget the police. it is on us to drive slower, despite less traffic. For those who have lived here a long time, we all know there will be many drunks in cars and motorcycles and don't expect them to slow down. We need to drive slow.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

the safest is to stay home those days

my Songkran programme,

1 buy beer supplies

2 lock the door to my study and put on the aircon.

3 have a few polite beers with the family then again retire to study trying to block out the karaoke racket.

4 explain to my wife that the car stays at home over the period

5 again retire to study possiblly with dissapointed looks from my wife

6 emerge from study like bear after hibernation when the whole chaos is over.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

im predicting a ton of deaths ..bah.gif.pagespeed.ce.-cCHYEZ1Lo.gif alt=bah.gif width=19 height=19> ..

It's the same load of Bo**ocks every holiday. If there were an olympic medal for B***S*** they would win gold every time !

So will it be illegal to throw water at moving motorcycles? And if so will it be published and enforced? I do not want to wait until I'm injured by some idiot who threw 5 liters of ice cold water at me while traveling at 30kmph along Pattaya railway road to make a case. STOP this crazy practice immediately.

• Like 1