Looking for opinions on the name for a new bar on the Darkside

Mobi

Mobi generally has quite a lot to say for himself and things in general, in todays world, rightly or wrongly, that type of individual will never be everyone's cup of tea and is setting himself up to be critized, all be it from behind a keyboard. I had a dig at him myself last week, but his retort did give me some food for thought..

He has won me over, I like the cut if his jib, and I particualrly liked the outing of the poster who had a pop at him because he was bitter that he never thanked him for the UKTV advise (and we know that Mobi is right on that) I was suitably impressed.

See you for a beer soon, fiend..

Thank you very much, your comments are really appreciated.

Its funny how many people on Thai Visa have had a bit of a pop at me through the years and then ended up as friends...

Nowt so strange as folk...

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, PP, I am definitely planning to have CTH football etc, providing the cost doesn't send me into premature bankruptcysmile.png

One of the many strange things I've noticed - especially on the Darkside, is that very few bars even bother to advertise the fact that they have live sport on any particular day. They pay out all that money to get it hooked up, and quite often they don't even bother to turn it on... crazy eh?

I'll never forget going into a bar one day and all the girls were watching a Thai movie. Then another customer arrived and asked if he could watch the open golf which was on another channel. I didn't even know they had the golf ,as I too enjoy watching golf occasionally. The cashier begrudgingly switched channels, but when the customer left half an hour later, they immediately turned back to the Thai move, even though they knew full well I was also watching the golf.

I could have complained, but preferred to pay my bill and leave - never to return.....

Also one of the things that aggravates me more than anything is when the girls are all watching an English language movie on the bar TV. There is no sound as they are playing music cd's but they can read the Thai sub-titles so they know what's going on.

Unfortunately my linguistic skills don't stretch to reading Thai. If the staff are really into the movie, they will completely ignore you. Anyone else experienced this?

I remember explaining all this to a bar owner one day and he said, 'yes you're quite right' and made the girl turn the TV to a music channel.

The next day they were all watching the farang movies again....

(To be honest, this happens much more in Bangkok than Pattaya)

Maybe because soccer is the most sleep inducing sport yet invented by man. I often turn it on when I'm having a bout of insomnia and I'm out like a light within minutes. Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Only problem with Mobis is that if you ever sell and it continues under that name your other efforts will always be affected by the performance of the new owners. If they turn out to be dishonest it will reflect on you as you have built an identity round that name.

I'm struggling with this, alcoholic, heart valve replacement, diabetic and goodness knows what else - now opening a bar on the darkside! Makes me wonder about so many things.

Things appear to be getting tad personal, so let me just say this. .

Just because I do indeed suffer from a variety of serious, chronic medical complaints, that doesn't mean that I am going to quietly go away and curl up in a corner and wait to die.

It wasn't so very long ago I did indeed feel that this was my fate, but ever since I managed to put my stomach ailments and the accompanying misdiagnosis behind me, I feel better than I have done in years and am full of hope for the immediate future.

If I can do a few things to keep me occupied and turn a bob or two profit, then that is what i will do. Those who read my blog will know I am running a small vehicle rental business,(which so far has done pretty well), and I have just set up a site to sell Thai products on eBay.I am also persevering with my writing in the hope that one day I may be 'discovered.'... (yes, I know, no hope, but there's not harm in dreaming), and just this last week I started doing some contract copy writing for a web site.

Opening a bar near to where I live is simply another step along the way to try and turn around a serious reversal in my fortunes, and nobody can accuse me of not giving it a go - at a time when I had thought I would be lazing my life way into the retirement sunset.

I'm not quite sure what you think i will be doing at this bar, but let me assure you that I will not be swinging from a go-go pole and neither will I be juggling cocktail mixers from behind the bar.

My GF and her family will be running things and all that I will do is to provide a bit of 'brain power management' (assuming there's still some left), and instead of bashing away on my laptop on the table at home, I will be doing it from the corner of a sleepy, lakeside bar, where I can keep a wary eye on things.

I will also be happy to down tools and chat with anyone who wants to, (excluding of course, the estimable piston broke, who I assume has ruled himself out).

And no, i will not be telling stories of my life, you will have to buy the book or read my blog to get that kind of low-down - nothing is for free these days.smile.png

So I don't think that my anticipated bar activities will over-tax this ageing alcoholic reprobate... and with a bit of luck, there's a few more years of life left in this ugly mug of mine, gainsayers notwithstanding.

Just don't forget the ladyboys.

I'm struggling with this, alcoholic, heart valve replacement, diabetic and goodness knows what else - now opening a bar on the darkside! Makes me wonder about so many things.

Just because I do indeed suffer from a variety of serious, chronic medical complaints, that doesn't mean that I am going to quietly go away and curl up in a corner and wait to die.

It wasn't so very long ago I did indeed feel that this was my fate, but ever since I managed to put my stomach ailments and the accompanying misdiagnosis behind me, I feel better than I have done in years and am full of hope for the immediate future.

If I can do a few things to keep me occupied and turn a bob or two profit, then that is what i will do. Those who read my blog will know I am running a small vehicle rental business,(which so far has done pretty well), and I have just set up a site to sell Thai products on eBay.I am also persevering with my writing in the hope that one day I may be 'discovered.'... (yes, I know, no hope, but there's not harm in dreaming), and just this last week I started doing some contract copy writing for a web site.

Opening a bar near to where I live is simply another step along the way to try and turn around a serious reversal in my fortunes, and nobody can accuse me of not giving it a go - at a time when I had thought I would be lazing my life way into the retirement sunset.

I'm not quite sure what you think i will be doing at this bar, but let me assure you that I will not be swinging from a go-go pole and neither will I be juggling cocktail mixers from behind the bar.

My GF and her family will be running things and all that I will do is to provide a bit of 'brain power management' (assuming there's still some left), and instead of bashing away on my laptop on the table at home, I will be doing it from the corner of a sleepy, lakeside bar, where I can keep a wary eye on things.

I will also be happy to down tools and chat with anyone who wants to, (excluding of course, the estimable piston broke, who I assume has ruled himself out).

And no, i will not be telling stories of my life, you will have to buy the book or read my blog to get that kind of low-down - nothing is for free these days.smile.png

So I don't think that my anticipated bar activities will over-tax this ageing alcoholic reprobate... and with a bit of luck, there's a few more years of life left in this ugly mug of mine, gainsayers notwithstanding.

Well if its anything like the other bars around the Lake it will be very sleepy, exception being mini marts bars where the beers are 30 baht cheaper and plenty of company. It will have to be something completely different, and i don't think the name will make one bit of difference as to to how many customers you get. Try and get staff who speak at least half a dozen words of English.

The Black Hole

Nobody escapes without a smile on their face

That name (including the follow-on commentary) has a lot of promise if he manages to attract a bevy of dark skinned attractive Thai bar maids, but, in such case, perhaps it should be pluralized.

The Black Hole

That name (including the follow-on commentary) has a lot of promise if he manages to attract a bevy of dark skinned attractive Thai bar maids, but, in such case, perhaps it should be pluralized.

You obviously have been perusing his blog smile.png

Only problem with Mobis is that if you ever sell and it continues under that name your other efforts will always be affected by the performance of the new owners. If they turn out to be dishonest it will reflect on you as you have built an identity round that name.

Thanks for that.

Actually, I happen to be in general agreement with those who say that the name doesn't mean a great deal, but that doesn't mean that I can just forget it. I still need a half-way decent name - one that rolls easily off the tongue and is easy to remember.

If I do sell up at some time in the future, it would only be because I have failed to make a success of it and the chances are that the new owner will change the name again, and if he doesn't, I don't think I'll be too bothered.

I'm not sure that my reputation means that much in the overall scheme of things...I'm already held in low esteem by more than I care to mentionsad.png

As it was said already...

Mobi's

Seems to be going that way.

The only question is whether or not to include the apostrophe s.

Decisions..decisions...

The Thais will just call it "Mobi bar" regardless of what is written on the sign....

Keep the apostrophe, or I will haunt you to your gravy.

http://www.apostrophe.org.uk

I really can't have that! I too am a bit fussy about apostrophe's, but I'm not sure I'd join a national campaign for their preservation...

Anyway, it's a promise; as long as the sign writer doesn't screw it up - which is always possible - there will definitely be an apostrophe - assuming I go with Mobi's bar - or something similar.

The Black Hole

You obviously have been perusing his blog smile.png

I have not, but perhaps I should.

For a bar on the Darkside, I like "Nightlight in the D'Ark", with hyphens and/or apostrophies (or not) as the OP chooses. It would probably be referred to as "the Nightlight" or as "Mobi's" to those that frequent the bar regularly and learn the owner's name. Both have a nice "ring" to them.

But, as has been said, the name means very little in terms of popularity or financial succcess, but it will suggest, I think, the kind of establishment that the OP is trying to create and the kind of clientele he is wanting to attract. So, the name should jibe with the kind of establishment he is trying to create. "Rendevous" is a nice name for a bar or restaurant, and suggests (at least to me) a place for couples and families. "Butterfly" (a great bar name) and "Booze Bar" (not a very good name, I think) suggests something very different, and I certainly would not bring my g/f to either place. Some names -- Noi's or Lek's -- say nothing and are just plain boring, and will not encourage anyone to stop and have a look inside; I would avoid names like that. I do not think that a bar, especially in Pattaya, can be all things to all people, so the OP needs to consider very carefully what kind of an establishment he wants (perhaps he already knows) and pick a name that suggests to passers by what they can expect to find on the inside if they choose to stop and take a look. The harder part is giving them an experience on the inside that will make them want to come back and spend their money and, as important, also to tell their friends. So, pick a name and move on to the really hard part. Bon chance!

• Like 1

Thanks for that.

Actually, I happen to be in general agreement with those who say that the name doesn't mean a great deal, but that doesn't mean that I can just forget it. I still need a half-way decent name - one that rolls easily off the tongue and is easy to remember.

If I do sell up at some time in the future, it would only be because I have failed to make a success of it and the chances are that the new owner will change the name again, and if he doesn't, I don't think I'll be too bothered.

I'm not sure that my reputation means that much in the overall scheme of things...I'm already held in low esteem by more than I care to mentionsad.png

I agree the name does not mean that much; i would go so far as to say it does not have any bearing on the success of the bar at all. Marketing people will tell you it should be one or two syllables.

There are alot of guys living around the lake who work; one option may be to call it the Office; wife calls and says where are you; "I am still at the office"

I did live around the lake for 4 years and I reckon that it needs to be a place where the guys are not afraid to call home and say; " just having a couple beers why don't you come around and join us". That being said there should be some options for the single guys.

Cold beer and hot chicks should always give you an advantage. Good staff is the key, nothing worse than waiting for a drink or conversly being hustled to buy a drink. The middle road is the key. Expect and plan for a loss until you get it off the ground.

Smart staff who recognise and know how to treat the differant demographics sitting on the bar stools is the key.

Hopefully your wife has the; what we would consider the common sense to work out how to manage each punter. The few bars which I used to frequent in Pattaya; all owned by expats but managed by their wives had that formula.

rambling here a bit; wish you every success and will definately look out for your place next time in pats!

If you advertise the Premier league and show on decent size tv's, I think this could be a winner for you.

Due to either laziness or being too tight or genuinely not being able to afford it not many bars over here have CTH. I was thinking about about going out today to watch the early game but can't think of one bar where I feel comfortable that have CTH. The kick off's are an hour earlier now which is also a positive.

If you advertise the Premier league and show on decent size tv's, I think this could be a winner for you.

Due to either laziness or being too tight or genuinely not being able to afford it not many bars over here have CTH. I was thinking about about going out today to watch the early game but can't think of one bar where I feel comfortable that have CTH. The kick off's are an hour earlier now which is also a positive.

Yes, it is something I have been looking into. The previous owner had a CTH pub licence for two screens, but stopped paying the sub after one month! There is now a debt of nearly 20k and it will have to be paid before I can reconnect. Anyway, all being well, I will recover this money from the previous owner and clear the debt.

I plan to continue the contract for the next 6 months and see how it goes, in terms of attracting punters.

More details later when it is all sorted.

Not of much use to you but it is obvious that you are not going to be able to please everybody.

A couple of my favourite bars are merely social/drinking bars, the girls working there not significant, as long as they can take an order and get it right.

A bit of music that can be talked over, no girls hassling for drinks, I can go alone or with my very long term Thai GF, chat with some people I know and just relax.

So many bars trying to "provide " girls not everyone wants that.

Slick efficient service, cold drinks and a friendly atmosphere alone can work.

I was in a bar last night that had just that, it was full.

Whereas others nearby were almost dead yet had pretty girls working there.

Once again, GL.

Having read much of your blog, I think you`ll probably succeed.

Random thoughts :

As to name, as short as possible.

If you are not going to do food/snacks, maybe a menu from somewhere that would deliver to the bar

• Like 1

Well if its anything like the other bars around the Lake it will be very sleepy, exception being mini marts bars where the beers are 30 baht cheaper and plenty of company. It will have to be something completely different, and i don't think the name will make one bit of difference as to to how many customers you get. Try and get staff who speak at least half a dozen words of English.

Not of much use to you but it is obvious that you are not going to be able to please everybody.

A couple of my favourite bars are merely social/drinking bars, the girls working there not significant, as long as they can take an order and get it right.

A bit of music that can be talked over, no girls hassling for drinks, I can go alone or with my very long term Thai GF, chat with some people I know and just relax.

So many bars trying to "provide " girls not everyone wants that.

Slick efficient service, cold drinks and a friendly atmosphere alone can work.

I was in a bar last night that had just that, it was full.

Whereas others nearby were almost dead yet had pretty girls working there.

====clip===

My kind of bars, seasia. I don't give a crap about hustling girls. I just want to talk to my friends or GF and not be bothered by anyone or anything. Oh, and good service would be nice. Do you want to name them or please send me a PM.

Keep the beer fridge running over night. So many bars around the lake used to turn off the beer fridge at night thinking they were saving money. If your early in the bar it's warm beer or icecubes!

I agree and I know how difficult it is to keep beer ice cold in this climate.

I can't imagine anyone being stupid enough to turn the refrigeration units off overnight..... but I will make sure someone doesn't try to help me save money in the wrong way....

Even leaving the fridges on 24/7 can easily be buggered up by bad restocking practices. Make sure that you have a large, secondary cooler that you can chill whole cases and then you can restock the bar fridge with already cold stock. Also make sure they rotate the stuff; takes a bit longer but with cold new stock going on, should keep the whole stock acceptably chilled if they do it either last thing at night (preferred) or first thing in the morning (and that is NOT 11AM!). I have been in more than one bar where they serve warm piss because they haven't a clue and blame it on the fridge!

... So, the name should jibe with the kind of establishment he is trying to create. "Rendevous" is a nice name for a bar or restaurant, and suggests (at least to me) a place for couples and families. "Butterfly" (a great bar name) and "Booze Bar" (not a very good name, I think) suggests something very different, and I certainly would not bring my g/f to either place. ...

Indeed! You do NOT want to be bringing your g/f to the Butterfly bar (but you could drop her off at either of the quite decent noodle shops either side of the entrance while you have a beer inside).

It is for people like you that I hope to cater for.

Even if I wanted to run a girlie joint, (which I don't), it is almost impossible to do on the Darkside. It is very difficult to find even halfway decent looking girls these days, and if you do, they won't stay long as they will either gravitate to Pattaya where there is more money to be made or, more likely, they will soon find a local farang who will take them out of the bars and shack up with them..

Right now, I plan to have 4 girls, plus my GF - five in all. The four girls are of various ages and are 'available' should any customers wish to indulge, but it will be kept very low key.

The emphasis will be on decent service, competitive pricing, and a good atmosphere where people can relax over a few drinks and have a chat.

I plan to have CTH sport and will advertise the 'coming football matches', Grand Prix's etc. on a blackboard outside. When there is no sport I will play music at a low decibel level and I am considering showing programmes like SKY and BBC local news, music concerts, movies and TV dramas etc. on the two screens, but this will very much depend on whether I can obtain the necessary licences. In any case it will not be intrusive.

Yes, I will be serving coffee, tea, freshly squeezed orange juice etc and and initially I plan to offer hot dogs, with or without French fries fro sale, (as well as free popcorn). There is quite a decent sized kitchen, so once I am up and running I will seriously look at providing proper food, but that will largely depend on finding a good, experienced cook as I have no knowledge of this.

As I said, I don't expect to get rich. but just hope I can build up a faithful group of regulars, plus a few walk-ins during the evenings.

I really appreciate all the tips and advice on this thread and will bear them all in mind.

Things with the bar are progressing well, and all being well, I hope to have a 'soft opening' on or around the 1st May.

I forgot to mention - there is also a pool table, but one ball is missing!!! Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement, or a new set?

bosssnooker.com/ Google it, you can buy sets or single balls there.

Thanks - I'll pop down and see what they have. I wonder if there is any significance in ball No. 13 being missing...rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif

Mobi, is there going to be a provision for an outdoor smoking area, with tables?

Yes, the seating area in front of the bar is covered, but there are no walls. Smoking is permitted.

Yes, it is something I have been looking into. The previous owner had a CTH pub licence for two screens, but stopped paying the sub after one month! There is now a debt of nearly 20k and it will have to be paid before I can reconnect. Anyway, all being well, I will recover this money from the previous owner and clear the debt.

I plan to continue the contract for the next 6 months and see how it goes, in terms of attracting punters.

More details later when it is all sorted.

Premier League is almost finished for this season. Starts again late August. So CTH will be pretty useless during that spell.

On tone name change, isn't there a hefty fee to be paid when changing a bar name?

Anyway, wish you well in your efforts. Look forward to coming in as I live quite near