is the missing plane thing affecting tourism?

OnMyWay2

Gotta love TV - the OP asks if the missing plane has dented tourism in Pattaya, and received dozens of replies about everything BUT the number of tourists in Patts atm. For the sake of the 30 or so posters who have found this thread a source of amusement, this is the question he actually asked:

you guys notice any difference or is it business as usual?

OP, I asked much the same question a week or so back, and I was told that downtown Patts was 'dead' compared to high season. What you need to take into account is that Songkran is just around the corner, and Pattaya has a Songkran unlike anywhere else - great if you're into idiots with Super Soakers and buckets of water, not so great if you arent. I've timed my own visit accordingly (end April / beginning of May), but I look forward to your own impression of the tourist horde when you arrive in town. According to some on TV, Pattaya no longer has a 'low season' - just a series of shoulder seasons until high season returns somewhere in November : I expect that many hotel owners would love to believe that, but I'm very much hoping its not the case. Either way, if you allow every regional hiccup to 'dent your desire', I'm not sure if Asia is your best choice for a holiday. India and Pakistan (or China and Taiwan) could go to war tomorrow and it wouldn't stop me getting on the plane ;)

you're living in denial if you think there's no impact I'm just wondering how noticeable it's been. Like are the Russians and Chinese still coming?

After one of my annual holidays abroad, two days ago I arrived at BKK airport mid-morning with -0- queue at immigration. Maybe the Thai immigration process faster than in years past or not....The taxi driver told us Chinese tourism is almost gone. I know this is about as reliable as the BG network so take it for whatever it is worth :).

Edited by losgrad

you're living in denial if you think there's no impact I'm just wondering how noticeable it's been. Like are the Russians and Chinese still coming?

I'll say one thing, I've been here for over 8 years and this is the quietest I've seen the main tourist area in that time.

But as already pointed out there are other reasons for tourist numbers being down.

I'll say one thing, I've been here for over 8 years and this is the quietest I've seen the main tourist area in that time.

But as already pointed out there are other reasons for tourist numbers being down.

Thanks for pointing that out again.

Due to an already big downturn, the impact of a missing plane is going to be impossible to determine.

However, I think most people are aware that planes do crash and are willing to take the risk. There is no other practical way to enjoy a vacation on the other side of the planet, and all other ways are more risky.

The plus side is that outside of Songkran days this will be a great time to visit. It can only get better after April 19 when the "official" low season commences.

Gotta love TV - the OP asks if the missing plane has dented tourism in Pattaya, and received dozens of replies about everything BUT the number of tourists in Patts atm. For the sake of the 30 or so posters who have found this thread a source of amusement, this is the question he actually asked:

His question said nothing regarding Pattaya, so I gave a general reply.

If I'm in the Pattaya forum, I assume the discussion concerns Pattaya, or some aspect of life within. I know this is a bone of contention for some here, but that's how it works for me. I actually spend most of my time in the SEA forum, but the noise-to-information ratio isnt all it could be : such is life.

• Like 1

If I'm in the Pattaya forum, I assume the discussion concerns Pattaya, or some aspect of life within. I know this is a bone of contention for some here, but that's how it works for me. I actually spend most of my time in the SEA forum, but the noise-to-information ratio isnt all it could be : such is life.

I understand what you're saying. I mostly "browse" ThaiVisa by clicking articles in the daily email and do not bother to check what subforum the posting is in. I simply read the question and reply to the OP (who didn't mention Pattaya or any other destination).

Back to the OP though in relation to Pattaya...I doubt a Malaysian plane crash is affecting tourism numbers specifically in Pattaya. There might be a very small amount of people that got spooked and decided not to visit the SE Asia region, but I bet those numbers would be negligible.

Boeing run this advert a few years back

Very ill intention. That's not even B777... I would generally say that the impact on the missing airplane is very minimal over this side of the world. Perhaps in China or Malaysia the consequences can be severe.

But that incident doesn't affect my travel plan, in fact, last saturday i boarded MH flight out of BKK and my my my.... It was a full flight in both economy class and business class cabin.