Prices of ready-to-eat Thai menus will be allowed to go up

webfact

Prices of ready-to-eat Thai menus will be allowed to go up

4-2-2014-9-13-44-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Commerce Ministry is reviewing the cost structure of cooked food as it plans to raise the recommended prices of 10 popular menu of Thai dishes by 5-10 baht due to price increase of key ingredients.

The move is aimed to ensure fairness for both producers and consumers.

Permanent secretary for Commerce Ms Srirat Rastapana said she has instructed the Internal Trade Department to review the cost structure of all cooked food, particularly those that rely on imported ingredients.

She said the ministry needs to know the real cost of cooked food since there have been complaints by consumer about higher food prices.

Some producers have added transportation cost to their manufacturing cost in a bid to hike a price of their product, she said.

According to the permanent secretary, products such as pork and cooking-oil are top on its monitoring list as their prices can affect the price of cooked food.

Meanwhile, director-general of the Internal Trade Department Mr Somchart Soithong said his department is poised to raise recommended prices of 10 popular dishes by 5-10 baht a dish as the ongoing drought has heightened prices of cooking gas, meats and vegetables.

The 10 popular dishes are currently sold at 25-30 baht a dish.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/prices-ready-eat-thai-menus-will-allowed-go/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-04-03

• Like 1

i honestly didnt know the government controlled these prices. blink.png

I know basic foodstuffs are government controlled, such a rice and cooking oil are some of the 42 products and services under price control. - See more at:

http://sbr.com.sg/economy/asia/thailand-government-approves-price-control-oil-palm-nuts#sthash.jcwMlFba.dpuf

Next govt should review price controls as living costs rise regardless

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Next-govt-should-review-price-controls-as-living-c-30223629.html

http://www.pattayamail.com/business/government-approves-commodity-price-control-measures-28459

google: ;government controlled food prices in Thailand'

You will be amazed at the results.

• Like 2

Quote: The 10 popular dishes are currently sold at 25-30 baht a dish.

Here in Pattaya the cheapest dishes cost already 40 Baht and this started 1 year ago.

Why politicians all over the world are lying all the time?

because for politicians all over the world everyday in a year is an 1st April fools day...

So raising the price of a Thai "popular" dish 10 baht that now costs 25 baht is a 40% increase in the cost. Is the Thai commerce ministry saying that the cost of food and gas has increase 30-40% to justify passing this level of increase along to poor ordinary Thais who don't take lunch over at the five star river buffets, the other five star restaurants or the RBSC?

So raising the price of a Thai "popular" dish 10 baht that now costs 25 baht is a 40% increase in the cost. Is the Thai commerce ministry saying that the cost of food and gas has increase 30-40% to justify passing this level of increase along to poor ordinary Thais who don't take lunch over at the five star river buffets, the other five star restaurants or the RBSC?

It's about time that the price went up (if it's not an April Fools joke). There is minimal profit in cooked food right now. So how about some empathy for the poor thai's operating those food stalls. Material costs have gone up. Though I must admit that I am bemused that the drought is causing an increase in the cost of gas.

• Like 2

Here in Pattaya the cheapest dishes cost already 40 Baht and this started 1 year ago.

Indeed - near my office in Bangkok all the street stalls also have raised prices more quite a while ago already. There is nothing one can buy for 25-30 Baht. Most cheapest dishes are 35-40 Baht.

So the government is going to finally admit that inflation occurred under their administration; after denying it for so long. Now that they have lost power, I guess it doesn't matter to them anymore. You can't mess with the market and win. People will find ways to subvert market controls. Everything has a value and that value is best determined by a free and open market and not governments. Don't believe me, look at the Rice Scheme.

Na they stil blaim it on the weather

But how drought can increase lpg price is beyond me

Actually have never eaten a "Thai-menu" so not problem with a price increase, as for an increase in price of the food listed on the menu's, well that is a different argument.

The price of items like cooking oil are higher that US and UK prices here, already. Most food on the shelves is higher than FARANG prices.

However, when it comes to street food... can you walk 0,005 Km anywhere in the West, to get a bit of pork and sticky rice or som tam? No you can't. Why?

Cos we have things called health and safety standards. So when this stupid commerce and trade department realises that the prices are low because there are never any safety checks on what is being sold, and half of what is sold comes out of a wok with black, stinkng oil used and boiled for 3 weeks, then it might consider putting prices up when each vendor is licenced. I WOULD THINK most foreigners who have lived here for some time don't even buy much from the street now, apart from maybe the odd sweet-pork or rag-na. I bet most cook at home.

Another time for the so called departments for a re-think, before putting prices up which again hurt their own common people. If they want reform, licence people to sell food, rather than paying the local BIB 20 baht a day to stall. Make quality inspections, and if they qualify.... fine - put the prices up!

The price of items like cooking oil are higher that US and UK prices here, already. Most food on the shelves is higher than FARANG prices.

However, when it comes to street food... can you walk 0,005 Km anywhere in the West, to get a bit of pork and sticky rice or som tam? No you can't. Why?

Cos we have things called health and safety standards. So when this stupid commerce and trade department realises that the prices are low because there are never any safety checks on what is being sold, and half of what is sold comes out of a wok with black, stinkng oil used and boiled for 3 weeks, then it might consider putting prices up when each vendor is licenced. I WOULD THINK most foreigners who have lived here for some time don't even buy much from the street now, apart from maybe the odd sweet-pork or rag-na. I bet most cook at home.

Another time for the so called departments for a re-think, before putting prices up which again hurt their own common people. If they want reform, licence people to sell food, rather than paying the local BIB 20 baht a day to stall. Make quality inspections, and if they qualify.... fine - put the prices up!

Feeling better now?

Indeed - near my office in Bangkok all the street stalls also have raised prices more quite a while ago already. There is nothing one can buy for 25-30 Baht. Most cheapest dishes are 35-40 Baht.
I think they are referring to selected foods courts, like those part of supermarket chains, in which the government were able to have some say. Don't think the government has any control over street vendors and the prices they decide to set.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ XA using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So how about some empathy for the poor thai's operating those food stalls.

How about some empathy for those poor Thai's only receiving the minimum wage, or worse still not even getting that.

Totster smile.png

Minimum wages went up quite a bit more than the increases in street food prices.

Permanent secretary for Commerce Ms Srirat Rastapana said she has instructed the Internal Trade Department to review the cost structure of all cooked food, particularly those that rely on imported ingredients.

What kinds of "imported ingredients" are used in the 10 regulated Thai food dishes that sell for 20 to 25 baht per dish???

• Like 2

The real issue that we should be concerned about is that serious inflation is just around the corner here, there will be big problems when it hits. Are you ready?

There's already been serious inflation...

The pork loin steaks in my local supermarket have gone from about 150 baht per kilo to 240 kilo over the past year.

The Thai coffee peanut jars I like have gone from 42 to 55 baht over the past couple months.

Beef prices likewise have gone up by 10 to 20% as well. And these are all on locally produced things....not imported.

• Like 1

When people were instructed they could not increase the prices 20%, they reduced the portion sizes 30%. People selling goods increased prices out of pure greed ''because people have more money now they can afford it'' ( and I should get more money too because they are )

PT forced everyone to increase the minimum wage, many people went from say 220 baht per day to 300 baht per day. Now everything costs so much more due to inflation they need to raise the minimum again, then inflation catches up and they need to raise it again and again and again and again. They have done a lot of damage to the economy, many businesses decided to move to other countries that suddenly became a lot cheaper as their costs here rose a lot.

In the end nobody here has become better off and the economy in general has suffered for it. Those who had no wage increase have less disposable income.

Like every other populist policy the PT idiots started, it has not helped the country at all, in fact it had quite the opposite effect. Another reason to kick the lot of therm out a.s.a.p. - impeach soon please courts.

To the ranter raving about licensing, these foodcourt places are licensed. The bottom line is that an operator cannot afford to put the same amount of food on the plate as before at 25 baht. 30-35 is the absolute minimum price now. I should know as my wife runs a small restaurant and I buy ingredients for her every day. When she put up her prices 5-10 baht at the start of this year she had already explained to her customers the month before and they understood. These customers are predominantly the poor hard working Thais that another poster thinks should be fed for less than what it costs.

The real issue that we should be concerned about is that serious inflation is just around the corner here, there will be big problems when it hits. Are you ready?

I'm agree with what you say, but onestly I also have to say in my experience many years, as soon a Thai lady have a farang as partner the prices always going up, it does not matter it is a restaurant or something else.

tingtongteesood

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • bullet_black.png.pagespeed.ce.jB6hmcewR_bullet_black.png.pagespeed.ce.jB6hmcewR_bullet_black.png.pagespeed.ce.jB6hmcewR_bullet_black.png.pagespeed.ce.jB6hmcewR_bullet_black.png.pagespeed.ce.jB6hmcewR_bullet_black.png.pagespeed.ce.jB6hmcewR_
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 23 minutes ago

When people were instructed they could not increase the prices 20%, they reduced the portion sizes 30%. People selling goods increased prices out of pure greed ''because people have more money now they can afford it'' ( and I should get more money too because they are )

Yeh, and then sooner or later, I only get for the same price a plastic plate.

used to eat mango and sticky rice ,same shop for 20 years...went there a few weeks back,,the rice was spread about a quarter of a inch thick on the bottom..the rest was all mango...the price had gone up 15 baht...

so you are getting a lot less food..with a huge hike in price..

i wont be back to that shop again