Accompanying Thai passport holder through UK immigration

So my GF will be visiting the UK for the first time next week on a general visitors visa, I'll be flying in with her but was wondering if I can go through immigration with her in the non UK/EU passport control. I'm a UK citizen/passport holder.

It's, I understand, unofficial; but if the IO's on duty at the UK/EEA desk are willing, she can enter via there with you; which is usually quicker.

I suggest her joining the Non EEA queue while you go and ask at the UK/EEA desk, and then either joining her or fetching her depending on their answer.

• Like 2

It's, I understand, unofficial; but if the IO's on duty at the UK/EEA desk are willing, she can enter via there with you; which is usually quicker.

I suggest her joining the Non EEA queue while you go and ask at the UK/EEA desk, and then either joining her or fetching her depending on their answer.

7by7 suggestion never occurred to me, before we were married I just queued with the then Girlfriend in the non uk/eu Que never had a problem.

Not only can you accompany her but you should accompany her, whichever channel you go through. It is quite likely that the immigration officer will have a question or two and your assistance on hand will make your lady feel more comfortable.

First time my wife and I went together the officer asked my wife what job her British husband did (Code: is he by any chance a pimp?biggrin.png ). She could not remember how to answer this in English and got flustered - luckily I was standing behind, having gone thru the UK channel alone and was invited to step in by the officer.

• Like 1

When my Thai wife accompanied me on a trip back to the UK a few years ago, we both joined the "All Other" queue at LHR - only for both the woman at the front of the queue directing people to free IOs and our IO himself to inform us that we could have gone through via the much quicker EC/EEA queue together!

If only it had been a similar arrangement upon our subsequent return to BKKsad.png

• Like 1

Yes. Take her with you through the UK/EU channel. On no account abandon her to the 'other countries' one. You might

have to produce some further documentation. Even when we did this the first time decades or so ago the Border Agency

suggested we had' met on the plane'

• Like 1

When my Thai wife accompanied me on a trip back to the UK a few years ago, we both joined the "All Other" queue at LHR - only for both the woman at the front of the queue directing people to free IOs and our IO himself to inform us that we could have gone through via the much quicker EC/EEA queue together!

If only it had been a similar arrangement upon our subsequent return to BKKsad.png

you can go through Thai channel with your wife. Done it many times

• Like 2

you can go through Thai channel with your wife. Done it many times

Same Same, always queued in the Thai Que with the other half even before we were married.

In fact the first time we traveled to Thailand together to tell her mother we were getting married a Border officer invited me to join her in the Thai Que as we were obviously travelling together, even when I informed her we were not married.

I have always found Thai border control extremely accommodating when it comes to maters of family & couples married or not.

• Like 2

Before we were married I would always accompany my now wife through the non- EU channel and it always used to astound me just how rude the Immigration Officers were. My wife spoke perfect English but listening to the other " desks" the quite frankly ignorant officers use the old English method of communicating with people from other countries who cannot speak English, ie to repeat the same question in ever increasing volume again and again. They don't have to speak English to visit as holiday makers !

SDM

Thanks for the replies.

Can we do the same thing when going through passport control in Schengen countries, specifically Holland and Germany ?

Yes it's the same in any schengen country, I travelled to France by ferry form the uk and there were no problems at all on exit and return. We also had a long stop off in schipol, Amsterdam, and we went through customs and went in to the centrum for coffee and a look around, but when we came back through the Dutch customs they detained us for 20 mins as the guys at the desk were not sure on the protocol. I was a little annoyed but they were polite and said sorry for the delay.

I did have a women at heatrow tell me my wife had to go in the non eu cue, I told here she didn't know what she was talking about and joined the eu cue and when I got to the desk verified it with the woman at the desk and pointed out their staff needed training better.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

I did have a women at heatrow tell me my wife had to go in the non eu cue, I told here she didn't know what she was talking about and joined the eu cue and when I got to the desk verified it with the woman at the desk and pointed out their staff needed training better.

I had this conversation with a client who worked at immigration a few years ago. It's amazing how much more reasonable we can be discussing this in the comfort of our own offices as opposed to just having got off a long haul flight.

As I remember in legal terms it makes no difference which channel is used and the EU/Non EU division is merely a convenient device to allow the entrants who can be speedily dealt with to do just this and have them on their way as quickly as possible. However we are obliged to follow IO instructions given in the same way that the Police may ask us to go a certain way outside the airport in normal life.

With regard to the question of if our wives and GF can accompany us through the EU channel this is decided locally and usually it is a question of whether or not the IO has the right to refuse entry to the UK. If they do not have this right there is clearly no point to send them through the non EU channel, although the IO has every right to insist that a non EU citizen heads through the non EU channel. Remember most visas will give the traveller the right to travel to the UK, but actual entry is down to the IO on the day.

The reality is however that an IO in the EU channel dealing with a tired Brit, who has just finished a 24 or so hour journey without sleep and in a mood to match the journey, who is with his partner (who has a visa and no no reason to refuse entry), will just let them through.

SDM

Remember most visas will give the traveller the right to travel to the UK, but actual entry is down to the IO on the day.

All visas, not most.

Also, the IO on duty cannot on his/her own decide to refuse entry. They have to have a valid reason for refusing entry and have the decision confirmed by their supervisor.

The main reasons for immigration refusing entry are because they believe, and can demonstrate, that the person seeking entry:

• will overstay;
  • is seeking entry for a purpose other than that stated;
  • there has been a material change in their circumstances since their visa, if they require one, was issued.
Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

Can we do the same thing when going through passport control in Schengen countries, specifically Holland and Germany ?

Yes it's the same in any schengen country, I travelled to France by ferry form the uk and there were no problems at all on exit and return. We also had a long stop off in schipol, Amsterdam, and we went through customs and went in to the centrum for coffee and a look around, but when we came back through the Dutch customs they detained us for 20 mins as the guys at the desk were not sure on the protocol. I was a little annoyed but they were polite and said sorry for the delay.

Not sure whether this is the case at CDG, though. Upon my arrival there from BKK last June, a woman was directing Europeans one way and non-Europeans another before Immigration. Since my tiirak was not travelling with me I was not able to use her as a guinea pig.

But certainly when travelling by Eurostar you can simply join the shortest queue at either Gare du Nord or St Pancras International regardless of your citizenship.

BTW thanks for the replies informing me that a similar procedure applies at BKK, as well as LHR, Immigration

Edited by OJAS

<p>

Remember most visas will give the traveller the right to travel to the UK, but actual entry is down to the IO on the day.

All visas, not most..

Incorrect, and that is the problems with "experts" on these forums with an incomplete knowledge.

Examples of visas where the IO at the border does not have the right to refuse entry are when a visa has been granted on the basis of marriage or a visa where the passport has an ILR stamp.

SDM

Edited by SDM0712

An ILR stamp is not a visa; it is LTR. There is a difference.

Even if someone does have an ILR stamp in their passport, that ILR will have lapsed if the holder has spent two or more years out of the UK and so they could be refused entry. It can also be cancelled by immigration if they believe the holder is no longer a UK resident and just using their ILR for visits; though they would be allowed in as a visitor on that occasion.

By a visa 'granted on the basis of marriage' I assume you mean a settlement visa or a family visit visa. The situations I described above apply.

As you are so scathing about those you call '"experts" on these forums with an incomplete knowledge' perhaps you will tell us your qualifications and experience in this area?

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1

An ILR stamp is not a visa; it is LTR. There is a difference.

By a visa 'granted on the basis of marriage' I assume you mean a settlement visa or a family visit visa. The situations I described above apply.

As you are so scathing about those you call '"experts" on these forums with an incomplete knowledge' perhaps you will tell us your qualifications and experience in this area?

1. I did not say an ILR was a visa.

2. I have no qualifications in this area, my comments are based upon experience and subsequent discussions with immigration officials. At the time, which is admittedly several years ago I did research the relevant immigration law which I had brought with me on my first return to the UK as a married man with his new wife, just in case I had any issues with Immigration. Of course there were no issues but I like to plan for the worst and if I was going to have a problem with Immigration I would rather speak from knowledge with evidence to back it up. I will admit though it is quite possible that the regulations have changed over the years, but I doubt it.

SDM

Yes, very practical advice at 7 AM in the morning with the conga-lines of hundreds of arriving passengers already 7-rows deep. I don't think you can get to any UK/EEA desk by just fronting up at the front of the queue with an 'Excuse me...' either. I don't recall seeing a 'help desk' as such but you may be lucky and catch the odd UKBA functionary sternly watching over the dazed and confused.

Sorry that you failed to understand. I was not suggesting any queue jumping.

But it is up to people whether or not they follow my advice or that of others.

What is yours?

Edited by 7by7

I always go thru immigration, departing Thailand and returning with my Thai wife - never been a problem.

1. I did not say an ILR was a visa.

Really?

Examples of visas where the IO at the border does not have the right to refuse entry are when a visa has been granted on the basis of marriage or a visa where the passport has an ILR stamp.

(7by7 emphasis)

2. I have no qualifications in this area, my comments are based upon experience and subsequent discussions with immigration officials. At the time, which is admittedly several years ago I did research the relevant immigration law which I had brought with me on my first return to the UK as a married man with his new wife, just in case I had any issues with Immigration. Of course there were no issues but I like to plan for the worst and if I was going to have a problem with Immigration I would rather speak from knowledge with evidence to back it up. I will admit though it is quite possible that the regulations have changed over the years, but I doubt it.

So your advice is based upon your experience several years ago; the regulations etc. have changed since then; for example the major changes to family immigration rules brought in with effect from 9th July 2012.

You must have missed those!

The advice I offer, which people are free to take or ignore, is based upon the current immigration rules, requirements, guidance etc. I endeavour to keep as up to date as possible with same; I believe it is the duty of anyone who offers advice on such an important subject to do so.

If you are going to offer such advice, maybe you should update your knowledge.

Immigration directorate instructions - Chapter 9: refusal of entry clearance, leave to enter or remain (immigration directorate instructions) would be a good place to start.

I think I can see why you have written in excess of eleven thousand posts, but that’s another matter.

Thank you for the reading matter but I really have no time or inclination to go through this.

You say If you are going to offer such advice, maybe you should update your knowledge.”

In fact I have not offered any advice; I have not even suggested which channel Pete should go through. I have merely offered an accurate description of the legal layout and relayed my own experiences.

However I read with interest when you state clearly that a settlement visa with or without an ILR stamp does not carry the right of entry to the UK if the holder has been absent for more than two years or if the IO believes that the holder is no longer a UK resident, but I also note with a smile that you then finish these words of wisdom with they would be allowed in as a visitor on that occasion.“…………... So, they wouldn’t be refused entry even in that circumstance !

SDM

SDM,
Your description of what you call the 'legal layout' is no longer accurate; it is out of date. As you currently can't be bothered to update your information I suggest that you cease offering such descriptions until you can be bothered to do so.

However I read with interest when you state clearly that a settlement visa with or without an ILR stamp does not carry the right of entry to the UK if the holder has been absent for more than two years or if the IO believes that the holder is no longer a UK resident, but I also note with a smile that you then finish these words of wisdom with they would be allowed in as a visitor on that occasion.“…………... So, they wouldn’t be refused entry even in that circumstance !

What I actually said was

Even if someone does have an ILR stamp in their passport, that ILR will have lapsed if the holder has spent two or more years out of the UK and so they could be refused entry. It can also be cancelled by immigration if they believe the holder is no longer a UK resident and just using their ILR for visits; though they would be allowed in as a visitor on that occasion.

Notice the full stop and the use of the words 'that occasion?' Two different sentences; two different situations; and 'that occasion' obviously shows the phrase 'allowed in as a visitor' refers to the latter one!

Someone arriving at UK immigration with a lapsed ILR would almost certainly not be allowed in even as a visitor. In fact, the only reason I can think of why they would be granted entry at all would be because the IO failed to notice that their ILR had lapsed!

Edited by 7by7

7by7

What you have illustrated in your responses to me is that not only have you not read (or comprehended) my posts accurately, it seems that the same could be said for your own. So there is not point really to discuss this matter with you.

I am sure we will come across each other again, but on this matter thank you for your time, I have work to do.

Warm regards

SDM

Sorry that you failed to understand. I was not suggesting any queue jumping.

But it is up to people whether or not they follow my advice or that of others.

What is yours?

Maybe you haven't been through a UK airport in a while; easy enough assumption but presumptuous. Sorry.

My advice has already been given by others but I would add the caveat, if you are traveling with your wife or partner, especially a 'first timer' then why on earth would one consider approaching UK Immigration in separate queues? Stick together!

For the more experienced or regular traveling couple, if there's an expediency for the UK resident to get to the baggage claim area first and get a taxi, then do it. With regard to my wife and I, our UK entries are usually at a much smaller UK international airport where she's one of very few foreigners arriving which is great as she always gets to the baggage claim first and takes care of the needful!

My advice has already been given by others but I would add the caveat, if you are traveling with your wife or partner, especially a 'first timer' then why on earth would one consider approaching UK Immigration in separate queues? Stick together!

My advice is based upon what I was told by an IO at Heathrow.

He explained that allowing a non EEA national through the UK/EEA gate when they are accompanied by a UK/EEA national is a privilege, not a right. In other words, the IO on duty could say 'No,' though this is unlikely.

Hence my advice that the non EEA national joins the non EEA queue while the UK/EEA national joins that queue and then calls them over if the IO says it's ok.

If the IO were to say 'No' then the UK/EEA national could join the non EEA national in the other queue.

If they both joined the UK/EEA queue then they would have to go to the back of the non EEA queue if the IO said 'No;' which I accept is unlikely.

My advice is based upon what I was told by an IO at Heathrow.

He explained that allowing a non EEA national through the UK/EEA gate when they are accompanied by a UK/EEA national is a privilege, not a right. In other words, the IO on duty could say 'No,' though this is unlikely.

Hence my advice that the non EEA national joins the non EEA queue while the UK/EEA national joins that queue and then calls them over if the IO says it's ok.

If the IO were to say 'No' then the UK/EEA national could join the non EEA national in the other queue.

If they both joined the UK/EEA queue then they would have to go to the back of the non EEA queue if the IO said 'No;' which I accept is unlikely.

I am neither arguing with your advice of discounting what you were told by the IO. I also agree that the UK/EEA passport holder should accompany their partner in the non-EEA line to avoid a stroppy desk jockey in the UK/EAA line which isn't totally unknown.

The option for each individual to use the line they are entitled to and meet up at the desks has a flaw. The speed at which UK/EEA passport holders get processed is much faster than the non-EEA passport holder. Then they have rules about people hanging about anywhere near the desks when they have been cleared so it's very unlikely that the UK/EAA partner will be allowed to wait for their partner. They even have staff to shoo them away to the baggage claim. My last passage through, the UK-EEA automatic gates were clear the other side of the Immigration hall and it is totally impossible to see a 5' Thai unless they have one of those 'follow me' flags on a pole that the Chinese tour leaders use.

Now THAT'S an idea!!!

Stick with your partner and choose the path of least resistance.