Thai consumer confidence index in March the lowest in 149 months

webfact

Consumers’ confidence index in March the lowest in 149 months

consumer-confidence-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Consumers’ confidence index has steadily declined for the 12th succeeding month with the March figure registered at 68.8 being lowest in 149 months, according to the Economic and Business Forecast Centre of the University of Thai Chamber of Commerce.

The centre’s director, Mr Thanawat Pholvichai, attributed the declining consumers’ confidence index to their lack of confidence in various situations, particularly political uncertainty.

The March index, he noted, is the lowest since November 2001.

Cost of living remains high, he said, adding that consumers have the feeling that global economy is fluctuating whole domestic economic growth is slowing.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/consumers-confidence-index-march-lowest-149-months/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-04-03

Cost of living remains high, he said, adding that consumers have the feeling that global economy is fluctuating whole domestic economic growth is slowing.

The cost of living is NOT high! Why do I know this? Because the govt continues to release low inflation statistics.

The cost of living is NOT high! Why do I know this? Because the govt continues to release low inflation statistics.

Cost of living could still be high even if we had deflation. Inflation measures rises in prices. Inflation figures don't show whether cost of living is cheap or expensive. In fact cost of living also depends on other factors. Inflation of 50% with wage rises of 100% would mean cost of living is falling. You're confusing different figures and different issues.

Edited by davejones23

Cost of living could still be high even if we had deflation. Inflation measures rises in prices. Inflation figures don't show whether cost of living is cheap or expensive. In fact cost of living also depends on other factors. Inflation of 50% with wage rises of 100% would mean cost of living is falling. You're confusing different figures and different issues.

I believe Yingluck said the high cost of living was an illusion.

As for the raise in pay well now that may be what the paper says but their are other papers called pay checks that reflect different figures. Plus the fact that many actually are taking less home now because of loss of benefits and over time. Also I believe that when the average home debt load increases by nearly 20% that is an indication that the cost of living has gone up.

Yeap, but inflation is based on a reference to a certain previous period....if inflation rises 3% with a offsetting 3% rise in wages a person is not gaining any ground. And using a 50% inflation rate in comparison to a 100% rise in wages is unrealistic unless maybe a person looks at the one-time major increase of Thai wages to the 300 baht/day....after many, many years at a much lower wage rate and while inflation continued to march on.

I know for the last five years the price of many products in Thailand, like food, have went up much, much more than the headline inflation rates the govt publishes for media redistribution. A person only has to go to the Bank of Thailand webpage under their Inflation Statistics area to see detailed inflation rates by products/services categories....inflation rates for most foods have been very higher over the last several years...around 10%/year.

My comments were meant to be sarcastic in how governments typically downplay inflation rates...and the Thai govt (especially the Yinluck administration) has even stated, or at least implied, the cost of products/services in Thailand really shouldn't be rising so much and maybe vendors are raising their price when they don't need to. And of course such vendors, like the folks who sell stuff/food/fruits/etc., in markets, just roll their eyes in what the govt says...and while rolling their eyes they have been increasing their prices significantly because they have to in order to stay in business.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

149 months ago.

Wasn't that when Thaksin was the real Prime Minister? Supposedly doing a wonderful job.

It would seem that the formula for low consumer confidence is put a Shinawatra in the Prime Ministers office.clap2.gif

What else to expect when you vote in thieves to run the country? A guaranteed recipe for disaster.

The Thai press is saying that Thai consumer confidence is the lowest in more than 12 years. Wow! They can all line up and take credit for this Boonyaratklin, Sorayud, Samak, Chuan Leekpai, Wongsawat, Samak, Thaksin himself , Abhisit, and now Yiingluck.

The Thai press is saying that Thai consumer confidence is the lowest in more than 12 years. Wow! They can all line up and take credit for this Boonyaratklin, Sorayud, Samak, Chuan Leekpai, Wongsawat, Samak, Thaksin himself , Abhisit, and now Yiingluck.

How did Abhist get into your line up other than your bias towards a competent man.

The lowest in 149 months? 12.41 years?

Yep. Isn't it wonderful that Yingluck is so terrific in her unrivaled ineptitude?

At least they keep it all in the family.

By keeping it in the family, do you mean the billions that have been disappearing in connection with all the vote winning schemes?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand