Air quality in Hua Hin?

Fiddlesticks

Was wondering if you local HH TV'ers could provide some information regarding the air quality in HH. I live in Chiang Rai where the air right now is very THICK, so thick you can almost cut out chunks of it ! ! ! Anyway, getting sick of breathing the junk and plan to spend next week in HH. How is your air? Is it smoky and hazy or do the sea breezes keep it clear (I sincerely hope!)?

Appreciate any helpful replies.

Thanks in advance,

Stix

I am not in HH at the moment but I am quite confident the air quality will be good, its located by the sea so I doubt it ever gets poor air quality there.

I have been to HH quite a few times and I have a Farang friend who lives there.

Its always fine as far as I can remember.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I am not in HH at the moment but I am quite confident the air quality will be good, its located by the sea so I doubt it ever gets poor air quality there.

I have been to HH quite a few times and I have a Farang friend who lives there.

Its always fine as far as I can remember.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks for that quick reply. I hope you're right! ! ! ! wai2.gif

Sat outside now enjoying a cold one, air is great, just a bit hot and humid. Welcome and enjoy next weekthumbsup.gif

Music to my ears (and lungs)! Many thanks!

I live in HH, have been here now 7 years. The air quality here is some of the best overall in Thailand. If you you want to check this out just go on the Thai meteorological site and you will find they give the distance that can be seen in kms, so you can compare various places.I hope you enjoy your visit. Take a trip south from HH some 10 kms to the beach at Khao Toa. The beach is called 'Pine Beach' and is some 7 kms long, well worth a day out. There is a good beachside restaurant there that is very cheap for food and beers; the whole of the area is under Army control and is kept nice and clean; they charge you some 20B to enter.

Really appreciate the info! Will definitely give Khao Toa a visit. I have visited HH before but only for a few days. Can you recommend a couple GOOD seafood restaurants that offer Thai pricing rather than the prices they charge at the night bazaar area? I really enjoyed the grilled seafood there but their prices, I suspect, were elevated for the tourist crowds. Thanks again cheshiremusicman!

• Like 1

Sat outside now enjoying a cold one, air is great, just a bit hot and humid. Welcome and enjoy next weekthumbsup.gif

I live in HH, have been here now 7 years. The air quality here is some of the best overall in Thailand. If you you want to check this out just go on the Thai meteorological site and you will find they give the distance that can be seen in kms, so you can compare various places.I hope you enjoy your visit. Take a trip south from HH some 10 kms to the beach at Khao Toa. The beach is called 'Pine Beach' and is some 7 kms long, well worth a day out. There is a good beachside restaurant there that is very cheap for food and beers; the whole of the area is under Army control and is kept nice and clean; they charge you some 20B to enter.

Really appreciate the info! Will definitely give Khao Toa a visit. I have visited HH before but only for a few days. Can you recommend a couple GOOD seafood restaurants that offer Thai pricing rather than the prices they charge at the night bazaar area? I really enjoyed the grilled seafood there but their prices, I suspect, were elevated for the tourist crowds. Thanks again cheshiremusicman!

HI,
I am not a great 'fish eater', but at the very end of the Khoa Toa beach (the golden budha end) you will find a beachside restaurant - it looks a bit scruffy, but they do some wonderful seafood dishes at reasonable prices. Crab in yellow curry is one of my favourites. I'm sorry but I don't know the name of the restaurant, but it is the only one actually ON the beach. I presume that you are driving down? if this is the case I can probably give you reasonable directions as to how to get to this place if you'd like.
Regards,
Keith
cleardot.gif

Hi,

Hua Hin is great, beaches all the way north (Hilton area) , you'll find Thai beaches where you can almost walk over the umbrella's but weren't that busy about 5 / 6 weeks ago, affordable drink and food. More tourists over there and best if one enjoys some nightlife.

You can go south about 6 km from Hua Hin called Kao Takiab and especially past the Kao Takiab rock youll' find a great beach mixed Farang and Thai from that point you can walk to the military controlled area. The more south you walk the cleaner and quieter it gets. Generally less tourists there and less nightlife.

Great (sea) food available nearly everywhere for reasonable prices, here and there even on the cheapbiggrin.png of course you know you will pay more than in the north, but it don't have to be all that much more (look for the more Thai oriented places)

One place I have to recommend and that is "Madam Green", It's a kind of hard to find so you'll have to ask here and there. The food is not the cheapest but among the best.

Madam Green is located about 1,5 km from Tao Takiab in a side street of the main street that brings you to Kao Takiab when you come from Hua Hin. Go in the side street across bangkokbank near soi 14 if I remember it correctly.

Enjoy your holidaythumbsup.gif

Edited by Rimbuman

I've never been charged to enter. I think it's only 20B if you go by car, though I always visit by motorbike.

Unfortunately there is a lot of pollution in Hua Hin.

I was speaking with another farang at my hotel and he said look at the fog and I said it's 38c there is no fog unless pollution based

But after spending 1 month there I could hardly breathe and coming from a very clean air invironment it was difficault as a matter of fact one of the Thai monks I was traveling with devolped asthma from it as well

Edited by hangerud

Cheshiremusicman: is this the site you found the visibility for HH? http://www.aws-observation.tmd.go.th/web/climate/climate_past.asp

No, that's a new one on me and I having looked at it, it seems to be missing a lot of data. The site I was refering to is the 'Thai Meteorological dept'. This contains the data from the daily observations and pressure maps etc, plus the daily forecasts for various cities. You will find visibility observations here - normally HH has about 10kms or better. the only time we seem to get any pollution here is when the upper wind is coming from the North/ North East and the dirt comes down from China; otherwise very little in the way of pollution caused by burning of crops etc.

I was speaking with another farang at my hotel and he said look at the fog and I said it's 38c there is no fog unless pollution based

But after spending 1 month there I could hardly breathe and coming from a very clean air invironment it was difficault as a matter of fact one of the Thai monks I was traveling with devolped asthma from it as well

I personally have never seen 'Fog' in HH, where were you staying?

Personally, I have never seen pollution fog here, I have however on occasions seen humidity in the air, also as previous ops posted pine beach is a great place to relax. One thing to consider though is that over the Thai Songkran it gets VERY busy as many Thais come from BKK. Also, I found the 20 baht fee for myself, car, and four Thai family members quite reasonable compared to other rip offs in Bangkok etc.!thumbsup.gifwai2.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Sat outside now enjoying a cold one, air is great, just a bit hot and humid. Welcome and enjoy next weekthumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif alt=thumbsup.gif width=25 height=19>

I've never been charged to enter. I think it's only 20B if you go by car, though I always visit by motorbike.

On all my visits, I have travelled by car, and never been charged.

Hi,

Hua Hin is great, beaches all the way north (Hilton area) , you'll find Thai beaches where you can almost walk over the umbrella's but weren't that busy about 5 / 6 weeks ago, affordable drink and food. More tourists over there and best if one enjoys some nightlife.

You can go south about 6 km from Hua Hin called Kao Takiab and especially past the Kao Takiab rock youll' find a great beach mixed Farang and Thai from that point you can walk to the military controlled area. The more south you walk the cleaner and quieter it gets. Generally less tourists there and less nightlife.

Great (sea) food available nearly everywhere for reasonable prices, here and there even on the cheapbiggrin.png of course you know you will pay more than in the north, but it don't have to be all that much more (look for the more Thai oriented places)

One place I have to recommend and that is "Madam Green", It's a kind of hard to find so you'll have to ask here and there. The food is not the cheapest but among the best.

Madam Green is located about 1,5 km from Tao Takiab in a side street of the main street that brings you to Kao Takiab when you come from Hua Hin. Go in the side street across bangkokbank near soi 14 if I remember it correctly.

Enjoy your holidaythumbsup.gif

Ummm ... can we keep this small beautiful beach area a "secret" from "outsiders" ... while most of the other beach areas around Hua Hin have been destroyed by development over the past 40-odd years (my first visit to Hua Hin was over several weekends in 1976/77, with university student friends from Bangkok), this beautiful area south of Khao Ta Kiab remains largely undisturbed .... and long may it remain so ...

Well, departing for HH tomorrow. Sounds like I will have clear skies and good seafood very soon. I want to take a moment to thank all the HH TV members for their valuable insight and overall helpfulness. Seems like a really hospitable group there in HH. Many thanks again for your time and your friendly replies. Any time any of you plan a trip to Chiang Rai and need some advice, please do not hesitate to send me a PM!

Cheers,

Stix

• Like 2

Well, departing for HH tomorrow. Sounds like I will have clear skies and good seafood very soon. I want to take a moment to thank all the HH TV members for their valuable insight and overall helpfulness. Seems like a really hospitable group there in HH. Many thanks again for your time and your friendly replies. Any time any of you plan a trip to Chiang Rai and need some advice, please do not hesitate to send me a PM!

Cheers,

Stix

Hi Stix,

Have a safe journey down. Don't know if you have already booked somewhere to stay for the week, if not let me know and I can suggest a good clean, place in the centre of town where I stayed whilst my villa was being finished. Nothing fancy but very clean and slap bang in the middle of HH and they have a secure car park at the back of the place.

If you like curry, try the place at the end of soi 80, my friends have told me it's really good.

Hope to hear from you whilst you in HH.

I will be tapping you for information re Chang Ria, as I have not visited your area as yet and hope to spend a few weeks up that way exploring and having a few games of golf.

Take care on the roads

Cheers,

Stix

Hi Stix,

I forgot to ask you what time of the year you would advise a trip up to Chiang Rai?

Cheers,

Stix

Hi Stix,

I forgot to ask you what time of the year you would advise a trip up to Chiang Rai?

Ches,

Depends on the reason for your visit. If you want to take photos, I would recommend the rainy season when we have clear and sometimes dramatic skies. If for sightseeing, the cold season is by far the best. Cooler temps, no rain and the beer stays cooler longer. thumbsup.gif My favorite time of year here is late Nov however. Cooling down, not much pollution yet, medium level of tourists, some nice skies. Hope this helps!

Stix

What utter rubbish I have lived here four years never seen one bad day