How to search for cheap rentals (mostly for houses)

When I was checking for cheap rentals in the area Sathorn I did the exact same sort of thing, walking around and asking.

The price range we came up with was 10K - 15K, but they weren't as large at the 5 story row house. They did already have AC and were furnished.

Good idea handing out flyers, but how do you resolve ties? Likely more than one of your "scouts" will direct you to the same rental.

• Like 1

When I was checking for cheap rentals in the area Sathorn I did the exact same sort of thing, walking around and asking.

The price range we came up with was 10K - 15K, but they weren't as large at the 5 story row house. They did already have AC and were furnished.

Good idea handing out flyers, but how do you resolve ties? Likely more than one of your "scouts" will direct you to the same rental.

Yes, A/C and furnishings of course will boost the rents - and also give you a lot of liability if you're intending to stay long-term, have pets or kids, etc. I prefer the flexibility and lower rent of a bare place, cost a bit upfront to make it livable but works out cheaper in the long run - plus you can take a lot of it with you when you move on.

Never had a problem with "ties" but I would simply do it first-come-first-served.

<snip>

Thanks for posting this.

My pleasure. . .

Edited by Maestro
Deleted part of post which was reply to removed post,

my house on soi 11 has been 15k per month for the last 13 years. a motorcycle guy i asked drove me to it and ive lived there ever since.

the biggest issue i had with furnishing was convincing the landlords i didnt want any.

Edited by HooHaa
  • Like 1

Flyers are a great idea, but I could absolutely see some problems. Even in my own country, I can imagine someone arguing about the terms of the reward, going on about how they referred me to a good place and it's not their fault I chose not to rent it.

but why would that matter? if you didn't rent it you didn't rent it ergo no reward. its not like you are offering 1000 thb per lead. besides, its hardly legally binding, its a flyer.

while i wouldn't use that approach, the only caveat i would make on the flyer issue is use an email add and phone number dedicated solely to the purpose of finding a house.

motorcycle taxis, salons, mom and pop stores,street vendors. you will get the word out plenty quick.

Edited by HooHaa
  • Like 1

Yes, especially in a poorer neighborhood.

In a wealthier one these days might need to offer more if you dont' get many responses within a week, maybe B2000 obviously well worth it.

Flyers are a great idea, but I could absolutely see some problems. Even in my own country, I can imagine someone arguing about the terms of the reward, going on about how they referred me to a good place and it's not their fault I chose not to rent it.

Nope, just clearly state to be paid if you choose the place they put you on to.

Believe me they set it up so they take you in person to meet the landlord, quite possibly getting something off them as well.

Sure lots of landlords ask for a crazy number seeing a farang's involved, but it's a numbers game, if you've got twenty to look at you start at the lower end.

Didn't have any problem using my usual number, maybe a dozen calls in the couple weeks after asking if I'd found a place yet.

And of course I was famous in the neighborhood, but in a very pleasant way, no problems finding a maid, handyman when I need one, even potential GFs used to be introduced until they all found out I've got that end sorted. . .

• Like 2

but why would that matter? if you didn't rent it you didn't rent it ergo no reward. its not like you are offering 1000 thb per lead. besides, its hardly legally binding, its a flyer.

while i wouldn't use that approach, the only caveat i would make on the flyer issue is use an email add and phone number dedicated solely to the purpose of finding a house.

motorcycle taxis, salons, mom and pop stores,street vendors. you will get the word out plenty quick.

Bc I don't want any enemies- or people that feel like I owe them something- in TH. Especially ones that might know where I live.

I think motorcycle taxis are the way to go. They seem like the eyes and ears of the neighborhood.

Edited by eldragon

And the quality of the house? I doubt it has a western kitchen. How much did you need to invest in it to bring it up to modern standards? And once you've beautified Mr Somchai's townhouse, how long before he takes a fancy to it?

Believe it or not, properly drafted and executed leases are pretty enforceable, and in fifteen years I haven't ever had a problem like you imply.

You did notice my tactic to ensure I always have three years to plan ahead? BTW that is the maximum after which the landlord has to register the lease with the lands department.

I prefer a house with no kitchen at all, because the cheaper Thai-style houses usually don't place it where I would like.

I found some great modular counter pieces at HomePro, stainless topped with a back splashboard, just needed a plumber to run the pipes otherwise self-installed and can take them with me when I go. Personally I'm not to fussy about the kitchen since the maid and the girls do 99% of the cooking; in fact the kids are learning how to do western breakfasts + joak at the moment, don't want to get them to used to having servants do everything for when it's time to return to the states, want them pretty self-sufficient at taking care of the whole house, laundry etc by 10 or 11.

And listen, I'm not saying this is a monolithic all-or-nothing recipe here, if you want to just use the hunting bit to find that gorgeously decorated place with a walled garden or something else that costs more than I spend on my whole life every month, feel free.

All advice I give on such topics is targeted at getting maximum value for money, since I'm poor. YMMV.

Edited by wym

Bc I don't want any enemies- or people that feel like I owe them something- in TH. Especially ones that might know where I live.

I think motorcycle taxis are the way to go. They seem like the eyes and ears of the neighborhood.

I've never had any problem in Bangkok, maybe more dangerous places like Pattaya or Patong, but really I don't see this sort of thing, pretty prosaic and not much at stake, being a concern.

And IMO the motocy gang's the most likely to be assertive, pretty much everyone else puts on a big show of respect, where they're pretty cheeky - but then they know my business more than most 8-)

Other consideration is that at least in my neighborhood, they earn pretty much top dollar even over shopowners, so they're not that motivated to go out of their way, in fact I don't think I've ever gotten decent leads from that source. Generally ends up being a random friend-of-a-friend of someone who got my flyer at the haircutters or a restaurant or something.

• Like 1

Just remembered a couple of other lease add-ons that may be also important for others.

Permission to conduct a business - they're usually OK with that.

Permission to sublet, say if you want to leave the country for a while, or rent out rooms if you need extra money.

That is a bit harder to get, but if you make it clear it's a deal-breaker they'll usually cave, as long as you make it clear you retain full responsibility for your sub-tenants, doing damage etc.

And that's an easier sell when it's a bare shell which you're going to be fixing up anyway.

Here's a guy did something similar but a flat and a bit more upscale:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/14/greathomesanddestinations/14iht-rebangkok14.html?_r=0

I had a bit of luck employing these methods over the weekend. But most of my Thai friends agree I'd be asking for trouble if I were to live alone (no gf, wife, gik, etc.) in a house, townhouse, or shophouse in central BKK. I floated the safety issue on a different thread a few weeks ago. Just want to revisit it and see what you all think.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Totally depends on the neighborhood. But if you're looking for a very inexpensive house, then clearly you're going to find more of what you're looking for in the poorer neighborhoods.

But there are more day-to-day issues which you should be aware of: Living in a house or townhouse in BKK is probably not for the newcomer. I would do it only if you speak Thai relatively well. When you live alone you will have frequent need of transacting with workers, delivery people, repair people, neighbors, etc. You'll also need to read bills, mail, etc.

For most foreigners, living in a house (alone) in BKK is a bit of a pain in the ass. Condos are 1000x more convenient (and safe of course). Your gf is probably right.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just remembered a couple of other lease add-ons that may be also important for others.

Permission to sublet, say if you want to leave the country for a while, or rent out rooms if you need extra money.

That is a bit harder to get, but if you make it clear it's a deal-breaker they'll usually cave, as long as you make it clear you retain full responsibility for your sub-tenants, doing damage etc.

And that's an easier sell when it's a bare shell which you're going to be fixing up anyway.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/14/greathomesanddestinations/14iht-rebangkok14.html?_r=0

I encountered something today that I'd heard of in the past, but never had it explained to me properly.

One of the houses I looked at has a business- a legit massage shop- inside. The owner can't run it anymore and is trying to dump the lease. To take over the lease and get the house, I'd have to pay some strange deposit in the neighborhood of 200K THB to the current renter, plus 10K per month for rent. The way my Thai friend explained it is it would effectively make me the owner of the house- provided I continued to pay rent- and allow me to do anything I want to the inside or outside of the house. It is also a fee that I could collect from the next renter when/if I leave. And it could go up (or down, I suppose) in value, depending on the market.

This probably sounds like some way to rip off a foreigner- and potentially is- but I have heard of it before. About a year ago, a very trusted Thai friend was trying to move into a larger commercial space and had to get about 200K together. Another friend was telling me about a bar in her neighborhood that was up for rent: 300K plus 7K per month.

Is anyone familiar with this?

Edited by eldragon

I encountered something today that I'd heard of in the past, but never had it explained to me properly.

One of the houses I looked at has a business- a legit massage shop- inside. The owner can't run it anymore and is trying to dump the lease. To take over the lease and get the house, I'd have to pay some strange deposit in the neighborhood of 200K THB to the current renter, plus 10K per month for rent. The way my Thai friend explained it is it would effectively make me the owner of the house- provided I continued to pay rent- and allow me to do anything I want to the inside or outside of the house. It is also a fee that I could collect from the next renter when/if I leave. And it could go up (or down, I suppose) in value, depending on the market.

This probably sounds like some way to rip off a foreigner- and potentially is- but I have heard of it before. About a year ago, a very trusted Thai friend was trying to move into a larger commercial space and had to get about 200K together. Another friend was telling me about a bar in her neighborhood that was up for rent: 300K plus 7K per month.

Is anyone familiar with this?

Got a little more info on this from another forum, in case anyone is interested:

"Key money is common and it has been around for decades. It is not common in the US or other countries; but this is Thailand. It is the right of the Landlord to ask for whatever they want - and can get away with. In a "tight" market or a premier property, key money is a method for a Landlord to "bid the property" among interested renters and/or buyers. And understand that rental income is taxed in Thailand; key money is NOT. Shophouses are increasing popular alternatives to traditional retail suites and offices. Especially when they offer convenient parking and minimal costs of upgrade (which is often the case). You should NOT expect this money back - it is a cost of doing business if the location is a "must have" for you."

In short, if the property is considered a good one for business, then it's pretty normal to ask for a keynote/goodwill payment. The part I just can't wrap my head around is they're trying to unload the lease/property, so why are they asking people for a keynote/goodwill payment? I guess they figure it's in demand, and interested parties will bid up/down on the payment.

Edited by eldragon