If new British passport doesn't arrive, will education visa be void?

Hi, I'm hoping one of the mods can advise on this one.

My wife (British) needs to get a new passport (renewal) as no full pages left for 90 day education visa extension stamp (the passport is still valid for a couple of years).

The next 90 day extension is due in 6 weeks, so if my wife applies at the new visa office (Trendy Building) this week, it will be cutting it very fine in the sense that the new passport may not arrive before she needs to get the extension to the education visa that is in her old passport.

She does have 3 or 4 'half pages' still available in the current passport so we are going to the immigration dept tomorrow to see whether they think there is sufficient space for another 90 day extension stamp or not.

2 questions:

1. If my wife does apply for a new passport but she doesn't receive it by the time she needs to extend the ed visa, what would happen? She'll still have the old passport with the ed visa in it but it would not be a valid passport as she has applied for a new one?

2. If she does have the new passport in time (but the education visa is in the old passport), does she just take both passports to the immigration when the next 90 day extension is due?

Any advice much appreciated.

Edited by somchai jones

It seems she does truly have a valid ED visa. She has been getting extensions of stay based upon attending a school.

A half page should be enough room for the extension stamp.

If she was unable to get the extension done she would have to leave the country and get a new ED visa and start all over again. Which would mean she would have to get an emergency travel document from the embassy. She could also get the extension stamp done in a emergency travel document..

I did the very same thing last week. Half a page will be enough, I had less than that in my passport. Before she managed to squeeze the stamps in, I think she mentioned something about a temporary extension for one month until my new passport arrived. Not entirely sure though.

I've been waiting for 4 weeks now and no sign of the passport, but their website did mention to allow 6 weeks.