Old but deadly 500-pound World War II bomb found in Chonburi

webfact

Another old but deadly bomb found in Chonburi

4-3-2014-11-00-55-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Another bomb, believed to be an old 500-pound bomb dropped by plane during the World War II, was retrieved from a pond inside the Hemaraj industrial estate in Chonburi province.

The bomb was first spotted by a villager at the pond near a factory inside the industrial estate at about 3 p.m.

Police were alerted and came to the scene along with Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) unit in Plaeng Yao district.

Initial inspection by EOD police revealed the World War II bomb is about 30 centimeters wide and 1.2 meters long and weighs about 500 pounds.

The bomb is still live and has a destructive power of up to 500 meter.

It is the same type of bomb that exploded at a scrap shop in Bangkok and killed eight people.

EOD unit chief Pol Lt-Col Amnart Palafaifa said his unit has no efficient equipment to retrieve this live bomb and has contacted the Air Force to send its EOD to help retrieve the bomb from the pond for demolition.

So far four 500-pound bombs of World War II had been discovered during the past 20 years. The finding in Chonburi is the fifth bomb to be discovered.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/another-old-deadly-bomb-found-chonburi/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-04-04

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean, excavated to show the world "UuuuOOOH, WOW, we found WW2 bombs, and we know how to handle them.... KABOOOOOMMMM!!!!!!!! clap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gif clap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gif clap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gif clap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gif

Run for your lives, people in Chonburi, if it's worth your lives...facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.gif facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.gif facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.gif facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.gif

• Like 2

"So far four 500-pound bombs of World War II had been discovered during the past 20 years. The finding in Chonburi is the fifth bomb to be discovered."

Mai kao jai.

Strange that of the 4 or 5 in 20 years, 2 have been uneartherd in the last week.

Seven years in Thailand and never heard of WWII bombs being found, now 4 in a week in widely separated places, what the heck? blink.png

So far four 500-pound bombs of World War II had been discovered during the past 20 years. The finding in Chonburi is the fifth bomb to be discovered.

Perhaps 3 were found before you arrived?

SAFETY TIPS FOR DEALING WITH EXPLOSIVES:

1. Run
  2. Don't attempt to move the explosives
  3. Check for radiation (from a case a few years back)
  4. Don't use cutting torches on the casing
  5. Don't use angle grinders on the casing
  6. Don't do anything with it except call EOD
  7. Use common sense
  8. Ignore 1-7 if the thought of making a very small amount of cash outweighs your survival instinct and the lives of yourself and others around you

What common sense? Where can we find it? perhaps from our comic books

Edited by Luk Mhee
  • Like 1

Caption Competition time

"Pass me that hammer Somchai"...

"Get me an oxy torch Somchai, so that we can cut it into more manageable pieces and take it to the scrap yard"

Hey Somchai, we are becoming the hub for WW2 500lb bombs

Jb1

• Like 2

Seven years in Thailand and never heard of WWII bombs being found, now 4 in a week in widely separated places, what the heck? blink.png

Most people who live in Thailand all their life have never heard of WWII .

Good point- my Thai GF just gave me that look when I told her the then Thai govt was moved to Phetchabun (her home) during WW2. Her grandmother still lives there. By that look I mean one of sheer incomprehension!!!

It's as if WW2 never happened.

But in a weird sort of way it's one of the things I like about Thailand.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Most people who live in Thailand all their life have never heard of WWII .

Good point- my Thai GF just gave me that look when I told her the then Thai govt was moved to Phetchabun (her home) during WW2. Her grandmother still lives there. By that look I mean one of sheer incomprehension!!!

It's as if WW2 never happened.

But in a weird sort of way it's one of the things I like about Thailand.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Let's see how you like it when Thailand declares war to USA and the UK again.

That is one of the things I am leery of about Thailand.

Edited by pisico

Who in the hell, is bombing Thailand??

You have the same attitude as a lot of Thai's (i.e. what was the 2nd world war?) when it comes to that period of time and their involvement in it, here's a quick history lesson (courtesy of Wikipedia):

Allied bombing raids on the Thai capital city of Bangkok began even before Thailand had declared war, since the Empire of Japan was using the country as a staging area for its invasions of both Malaya and Burma, with the agreement of the Thai government after Japan's successful invasion of the southeast Asian country. The first raid came on January 7, 1942, when Royal Air Force (RAF) aircraft flying fromRangoon, attacked military targets in the city.[1][2] The American Volunteer Group, together with seven No. 113 Squadron RAF and three No. 45 Squadron RAF Blenheim bombers, were involved in the first raid.[3] No. 113 Squadron's planes were piloted byNo. 60 Squadron's air crew. The second night raid was carried out with 8 Blenheims on 24-25 January and included No. 60 Squadron RAF aircrew.[4] A final raid was made three days later by four Blenheims. This was the last raid by Blenheims until May or June 1945.[citation needed]

After Rangoon fell to the Japanese on March 7, heavy bombers, such as RAF and American Tenth Air Force B-24s, based in India and China, attacked Thailand.[5][6]

The raids were carried out because Bangkok by then was a command centre for the Japanese on the South East Asian front. RAF and USAAF bombers carried out the raids as part of thePacific campaigns. The bombers targeted installations useful to the occupying Japanese military, but the raids were also intended to pressure the government of Thai military strongman Plaek Pibulsongkram to abandon his unpopular alliance with Imperial Japan. The major targets were the newly completed Port of Bangkok and the Thai railway system. Raids by RAF, USAAF, and other Allied air forces continued with growing intensity from India and, after the liberation of Rangoon on May 3, 1945, from Rangoon up until the end of the war in August that year. Blenheim bombers and Mustangs operated out of Rangoon against Bangkok in this later phase of the bombing.

Allied War Crimes.

BANZAI!!!!!!

• Like 1