Clear felling of hundreds of old growth trees in Phuket...dear God...

fatdrunkandstupid

I thought Phuket was pretty, but I didn't care to stay there.

It wasn't very a very Thai place, more like a farang beach resort. And I can go to a farang beach resort much closer to home.

Sad yes, but this was an issue that was settled a long time ago for Phuket, a few of the last remained natural parks. I wouldn't go to Phuket to see Layan national park, so I suppose that it was already a lost cause a decade ago.

No doubt they had Government permits, I have seen others go to jail in phetchabun for cutting old growth timber without an official Government permit.

Sad but a lost cause a long time ago.

In the case of Nai Thon, how exactly does one get a government permit to clear fell National Park with a bulldozer?

use your imagination .....more than likely the boss is a greedy thai and hes just

using burmese workers to avoid paying them the min wage .......

I thought the big boss was in Bangkok organising a coupe against a corrupt governmentcheesy.gif

Edited by Gandtee

It wasn't very a very Thai place, more like a farang beach resort. And I can go to a farang beach resort much closer to home.

Sad yes, but this was an issue that was settled a long time ago for Phuket, a few of the last remained natural parks. I wouldn't go to Phuket to see Layan national park, so I suppose that it was already a lost cause a decade ago.

No doubt they had Government permits, I have seen others go to jail in phetchabun for cutting old growth timber without an official Government permit.

In the case of Nai Thon, how exactly does one get a government permit to clear fell National Park with a bulldozer?

use your imagination .....more than likely the boss is a greedy thai and hes just

I thought the big boss was in Bangkok organising a coupe against a corrupt governmentcheesy.gif

what do you think a coupe is ?

• Like 1

Its coincidental that you should write about this today FDS , as I had just done the same on another Thai focussed website.

While I only spotted Nikki Beach a few days ago and agree , I can only comment that these 'beach lovers' at least didnt build out high OVER the sand as they did in Samui ( a blight on a really beautiful beach ).

I didnt see the 'clearing' you speak of , unless you are speaking of the one on the south of Nai Thon with all the tiered levelling , and the proliferation of stone walls...

My comments today were about the huge volume of apartment sites going in around Kamala , I counted near 100 on my ride around the 5 villiages that make Kamala yesterday.

I think they are more seen , and even less appreciated by the lack of undergrowth and diguising vegetation after such a long dry.

Tin mining lakes emptied by tanker pumping is another worrisome sign for the future ...

I dont know what the solution is , but completely clearing a site of trees with all the polluting run off an imminent wet season will create , screams out for sensible development and firm inspections by uncorruptible building inspectors.

I watched developers fill in and minimize klongs so as to gain a few valuable meters of land last year , and then everyone scratch their heads about the flooding.

Sadly nothing is improving when it comes to infrastructure or environmental concerns ... a crying shame on an island far prettier than most ..

Greed is not endemic to Thais or Thailand.

And, since you live there, you are part of the problem. If people, including you, didn't visit or live there, there wouldn't be any need for new developments. "But, when I got here...." is a silly argument. What, is everything supposed to stop?

Wow. Comments from another rocket scientist. Thanks for using your tremendous intelligence, and blessing us with your advice. Stay home. Do not leave your house. What about the environmental footprint used by my AC, or my plastic bags from the grocery store. Have you ever considered such a concept? Vacate a country and the country would not have any more problems. Genius if I must say.

That is not what he said at all. The point he makes is that without the population growth that is being experienced there may not be the need to do such acts. And he is correct - the more people attracted to a particular place - the more damage will be done. And that includes us whether we like to admit it or not.

If he wanted to get really nasty he could have made the point that people from a native European climate should not try and live in the tropics with their air conditioners etc. consuming energy and causing pollution.

What he said. Also, I didn't make any distinction between Thais and foreigners.

I also have solar panels and am making another wind turbine. And you have?

Edited by sdanielmcev

Greed is not endemic to Thais or Thailand.

And, since you live there, you are part of the problem. If people, including you, didn't visit or live there, there wouldn't be any need for new developments. "But, when I got here...." is a silly argument. What, is everything supposed to stop?

Wooowww a post of true intelligence. It is THAIVISA. When are you leaving, as you are part of the problem as well. This according to ur above comment.
I'm not the one complaining. I'm a carpenter, so running out of trees is bad for business.
  • Like 1

"Phuket is finished...without its environment it is reduced to nothing more than a brothel for the Indians and Arabs and a sun lounge for the Russians and Morrocans."

Dear FDAS; I admired your initial OP. It was most enlightening and thoughtful. And then I was terribly disappointed to see that a person who has such a deep love for the environment could so easily be guilty of using cheap stereotypes like the one above. You wittingly or unwittingly (I hope) seem to imply that it would be Ok if Phuket was a brothel for Europeans, Australians, Scandinavians, French, Germans and Americans but God forbid if it became a brothel for Asians, Arabs or Russians!

This kind of remark is obviously due to an active or latent prejudice as statistics (or a visit any evening) show that the races that you mentioned are a tiny minority at the bars of Patong. Please don't mix up your love of the environment with your hatred of races other than yours (or similar). This type of ethnocentric behavior is usually prevalent among those who will also deny Climate change and would call you a tree hugger!

Hope you will take these comments in the same friendly spirit in which they are offered.

what do you think a coupe is ?

A two door car with a hard top?

"Only after the last tree has been cut down,

only after the last river has been poisoned,

only after the last fish has been caught,

only then will you find that money cannot be eaten".

Cree Indian Prophecy.

Work for the Police, Army or local government. Or pay off the Police, Army or local government. Not rocket science!

You think your average Somchai is doing this?