UDD plans post-Songkran battle

webfact

The language of 'we don't want a civil but there will be one if we don't agree with the verdict of the court' is very troubling on many levels. The implicit violence, the threat to the independence of the court system, the 'Suthep is undemocratic so we will be undemocratic' is intimidating. I'm don't want to be in Bangkok when the shit hits the fan but may have no choice. There really is no defense when a mob has been enraged and is turned loose on the general populace. I expect random as well as organized acts of violence if certain court decisions are not to Thaksin's liking. He's backed into a corner and like most animals backed into a corner, the viciousness knows no bounds. Years of hate speech have brainwashed many to the point where a little nudge and they are not responsible for their actions.

If this degenerates into a civil war, and it is fought in Bangkok, everyone will lose as the death toll will be very high and the property destruction and loss of business will be astronomical. I sincerely hope the army is ready, at a moments notice, and with trusted units, to quell any outbreaks of organized violence and the National Police Chief, having come to his senses, can organize enough police to act against random violence. The language coming from the UDD stage is dis-quietening. to say the least.

Good post. I agree, it is very troubling indeed. I hope that the reds will accept the courts' decision regarding YL. All they should focus on is demanding an immediate democratic election and not accepting any unelected council or leadership. Impeaching YL, whether right or wrong, at this point is not taking away the rights of the people and is not worth fighting a war for. Being denied to elect a leader, however, is a huge infringement on the people's rights and is worth rising up and fighting against if that is denied them. Don't get me wrong, reforms need to happen, but they need to happen democratically by all parties and not by one side (either side) commandeering the country.

I disagree. If an election is held makes no difference who wins the reforms will be slanted to benefit them. That is why they need a non partisan council to make the recommendations for reform with no chance of intimidation from a partial government. It may be and is undemocratic but the army should be given the right to halt any red shirt attempt at intimidation. Also the rite to seek out the offenders as it seems the Police are not up to the job. there is an area that needs attention also.

Like Abhist said it will require legislation to make some of the changes in the way things are done but there can be safeguards enacted before an election. Given the current political climate if Yingluck is removed from office I doubt very mich the Senate would select some one with political bias to be the P M.

Democracy is a great thing but it has to be protected and to do that it takes guidelines. It is not as if the people were being denied their right to vote. It is just being delayed until they will have an open and honest chance to select their candidate. I am asking to much I know for all of them to understand what is at stake but when it is all worked out there will be enough who understand the need for change in certain areas.

For myself I prefer a united happy Thailand to Democracy. As Democracy is practiced here today that is some thing that will never come about unless there is a drastic change. Properly administered Democracy will serve every one. Some will complain as they are greedy and want what corruption and crime will bring them. That is just human nature to have those type people in any country in the world.

I'm not sure, but I think you changed the subject a little. But, to follow your new line, I think a chosen government (NOT chosen by Suthep or any of he PDRC leaders) is preferable to the kleptocracy of the Thaksin puppet governments. I wouldn't mind, personally, if they took a few years to get it right and acceptable to the majority. But I am not Thai and what I want, or find acceptable, is of no consequence. Realistically speaking, I don't think much reform will actually happen as the whole society has molded itself around corruption such that it is the normal way to do business. There are so many vested interests that will subtly sabotage any and all efforts at reform that there will only be a little 'window dressing' around the edges and, at the end of the day, reformers will have to call that 'victory' and have elections. It is hard to live in Thailand and not become cynical.

• Like 1

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When is CAPO or the DSI going to try and deport the shark Amsterdam for illegally joining a political rally ?

Probably when a law is passed banning foreigners from addressing rallies via Skype but until then....................

But in Thai law, foreigner are not allow to participate political rally.......double standard for Amsterdam.....? whistling.gif

In addition to the ambulance chaser lawyer Amsterdam, that also applies to the thousands of hired Burmese at the Thai Red Shirt rally.

Ever heard of Skype...............or Identity Cards...........................?

BANGKOK, THAILAND - APRIL 5: Pro-government red shirt supporters show their Thai ID cards during a large rally on the outskirts of the capital on April 5, 2014 in Bangkok, Thailand. The red shirts showed their ID cards in response to claims by opposition groups that the organisers of the rally paid Burmese migrants to attend. Tens of thousands of government supporters from across the country massed on the western suburbs of Bangkok in a show of strength, warning that any opposition attempt to remove the embattled caretaker administration of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra would be met with resistance.

Edited by fab4

But in Thai law, foreigner are not allow to participate political rally.......double standard for Amsterdam.....? whistling.gif

In addition to the ambulance chaser lawyer Amsterdam, that also applies to the thousands of hired Burmese at the Thai Red Shirt rally.

Ever heard of Skype..........................or Identity Cards.............................?

_74059703_74056944.jpg

Protesters show their Thai identity cards after opposition claims that rally organisers paid migrants to attend

If only the Dems would spend half as much effort winning an election as they do whining, they might get some international respect. Currently, their leaders, policies and lack of propriety leave them without a foundation of ethical and moral behavior. Simply stating that Their corruption is better than the other sides corruption is not a method or policy of reform. Their tactics are not that of a democratically represented nation.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If only the Dems would spend half as much effort winning an election as they do whining, they might get some international respect. Currently, their leaders, policies and lack of propriety leave them without a foundation of ethical and moral behavior. Simply stating that Their corruption is better than the other sides corruption is not a method or policy of reform. Their tactics are not that of a democratically represented nation.

'winning an election' as in democracy = election. Getting old news by now.

The Democrat party mostly won between 25% and 35% of seats. In most democracies that's called winning. In some countries winning means an absolute majority to allow a single party to do what they want. Not really democratic in my eyes.

As for "Their tactics are not that of a democratically represented nation" seems to suggest Democrat party = the Nation. Now even changing more on topic to Pheu Thai that would not be true.

What is true though is the UDD planning a post-Songkran battle to protect their own elite Yingluck from all those other elite. As all should know any one in Bangkok is part of the (to-be-condemned) elite. That's one of the reasons I'm still living in Bangkok after 20 years biggrin.png

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1