Birmingham Airport - Crosswinds dificulties - Winter 2013/14

yermanee

Wow. I presume this is all done within the limits?

I suppose it is within the limits if Birmingham IS in Thailand, if NOT, then I suppose it could be considered off limits if not Thailand related..Maybe it's exempt in the Travel Forum...

Edited by MB1

To MB1 and nonthaburial.

I sincerely apologize for having posted a video that is not related to Thailand here on Thaivisa.

I mistakenly assumed that at least some members might be interested to see what difficulties pilots face in doing their job (job for which my hat off).

I also assumed that showing difficult aircraft landings belonged on a travel forum, my mistake again.

Sincerely

Yermanee wai.gif

Edited by yermanee
  • Like 2

Note that building-work was underway, to extend the runway at BHX, I think I'd want a bit of spare run-up if I were a pilot trying to land or take-off under those conditions !

I would have thought leveling the runway a bit would make thing easier. There are at least 3 rises.

I believe one can fly to Bangkok via Dubai from Birmingham, indeed one of those aircraft was an Emirates plane, doing a go-around ?

Probably had people on-board who were coming from Thailand ?

Whatever, nice video, thanks for the OP ! wai2.gif

• Like 1

Just for clarification, the Thailand Travel sub forum is open to all travel topics. We try to keep them Thailand related, but they don't have to be. Unlike the General forum where topics HAVE to be Thailand related.

We had a discussion about this with the management and admin staff of this forum last year, and that's the general consensus. Hope it is OK with all of you!

wai2.gif

Thanks for the clarification Craig, much obliged.

Yermanee wai.gif

Is it usual for a runway to have such undulations ?

totster smile.png

The undulations are exaggerated due to the very long zoom of the camera.

As for within limits, an example spec for a Boeing 737. 36 knot cross wind component is allowed under good runway conditions. 15 knot gusts on top of that is maximum, which is what the main issue on these landings are. That is why the aircraft is 'bouncing' around so much, not from a cross wind which is easy enough to deal with, but the random gusts.

Pilot 101:

Meaning of cross wind component - this is the vectored part of the wind to the aircraft, in other words the angular component. If you have a 72 knot wind coming directly down the runway toward the aircraft, that is a head wind, there is no cross wind part in the landing. In other words 0 knots coming into the left or right side of the aircraft. You just get a slower ground speed as it pushes directly against the front of the plane.

Now if that 72 knots is coming in at a 45 degree angle, either left or right of the direction of the nose of the aircraft, 36 knots will be a head wind component and 36 knots will be the cross wind component, that is the effective wind hitting the side of the aircraft. The calculations for the cross wind component is done by either the flight engineer, if there is one, or the 2nd in command. That will determine if the aircraft is within limits to make that landing depending on runway conditions.

Next: Large aircraft are required to 'crab' their landing, that is the angle of the aircraft relative to the center line of the runway, similar to how a crab walks on the beach. The other method, and what I was trained for and used in small aircraft is crab and sideslip. You crab the aircraft to keep it down the center line on final and as you near touch down you drop a wing and center the nose of the plane down the center line with the rudder or sideslip it in aka de-crab. So you have a wing down and land on one wheel then as speed bleeds off the other main landing gear touches then the nose gear. This eliminates or reduces side loading of the gear. A bit like rubbing your stomach and patting your head at the same time. wink.png

End lesson: biggrin.png

This is old hat, but where in Thailand is there an airport called Birmingham ?

Another Jobsworth. Just dream one of the Planes had flown from Thailand and then you'll feel better.facepalm.gif

Nah, cannot delude myself as I do realise that there are no flights from Thailand to Birmingham, any other suggestions ?

Another Jobsworth. Just dream one of the Planes had flown from Thailand and then you'll feel better.facepalm.gif

Nah, cannot delude myself as I do realise that there are no flights from Thailand to Birmingham, any other suggestions ?

Boring.........................coffee1.gif

Birmingham - Qatar - Thailand

Birmingham - UAE - Thailand

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"Now if that 72 knots is coming in at a 45 degree angle, either left or right of the direction of the nose of the aircraft, 36 knots will be a head wind component and 36 knots will be the cross wind component, that is the effective wind hitting the side of the aircraft. The calculations for the cross wind component is done by either the flight engineer, if there is one, or the 2nd in command. That will determine if the aircraft is within limits to make that landing depending on runway conditions."

Good post except that 72 at 45deg is ~51 at 0 & 90deg.

"Now if that 72 knots is coming in at a 45 degree angle, either left or right of the direction of the nose of the aircraft, 36 knots will be a head wind component and 36 knots will be the cross wind component, that is the effective wind hitting the side of the aircraft. The calculations for the cross wind component is done by either the flight engineer, if there is one, or the 2nd in command. That will determine if the aircraft is within limits to make that landing depending on runway conditions." Good post except that 72 at 45deg is ~51 at 0 & 90deg.

Watching the vid, there were some excellent split second decisions made by the captains. Training I know but thumbsup.gif .

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Birmingham - Qatar - Thailand
Birmingham - UAE - Thailand

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Always fly to Birmingham from Bangkok!! This is Thailand related and does belong in the travel forum as some people are now aware that this is possible.

Edited by williewolf
  • Like 1

"Now if that 72 knots is coming in at a 45 degree angle, either left or right of the direction of the nose of the aircraft, 36 knots will be a head wind component and 36 knots will be the cross wind component, that is the effective wind hitting the side of the aircraft. The calculations for the cross wind component is done by either the flight engineer, if there is one, or the 2nd in command. That will determine if the aircraft is within limits to make that landing depending on runway conditions." Good post except that 72 at 45deg is ~51 at 0 & 90deg.

You're right, I got sloppy.

Birmingham . UK. sorry ,got mixed up with Alabama.USA. That one in England is where all the Asian Folks go to get more money than English Pensiones who workes their balls off all their lives. Perhaps the Airplanes leve England full of Money to India,so they can buy Your Beautiful Range Rover Company. My nation Portugal is also run by P.C. Communists. I am / was a PPL ,Pilot trained in America with night flight rating, hence no comments. sept those Guys were GOOD.thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Birmingham . UK. sorry ,got mixed up with Alabama.USA. That one in England is where all the Asian Folks go to get more money than English Pensiones who workes their balls off all their lives. Perhaps the Airplanes leve England full of Money to India,so they can buy Your Beautiful Range Rover Company. My nation Portugal is also run by P.C. Communists. I am / was a PPL ,Pilot trained in America with night flight rating, hence no comments. sept those Guys were GOOD.thumbsup.gif

clap2.gif , well, yeh..............smile.png