This year's Songkran festival 'driest' in four years

webfact

This year's Songkran festival 'driest' in four years
By Digital Content

13970086072756.jpg

BANGKOK, April 9 – An estimated Bt116 billion in currency is expected to circulate in Thailand during the annual Songkran festival, according to the University of Thai Chamber of Commerce.

Thanawat Polvichai, director of the university’s Economic and Business Research Centre, said revenue during Songkran will increase 2.36 per cent from the same period last year – the lowest growth in the last four years, mainly due to the inactive economy and the political impasse.

He said the public's anxiety over the political uncertainty and economic situation has impacted their overseas vacations which dropped 18.9 per cent in Songkran last year to only 5.9 per cent this year.

People are more cautious in their spending while sales growth will be minimal, he said, adding that violence during the festival, if it occurs, will push down consumer spending.

Mr Thanawat said the survey found that consumer borrowing during Songkran will increase 20.1 per cent – a sign of an inactive economy in which people’s earnings are less than spending.

Favourite attractions for Songkran revellers are the sea and beaches at 36.3 per cent, mountains at 21.6 per cent and waterfalls at 20.5 per cent.

Among politicians whom people want to honour with traditional water pouring on their hands while asking for a blessing are caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra at 17.1 per cent, anti-government leader Suthep Thaugsuban at 16.4 per cent and Democrat leader Abhisit at 10.9 per cent. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-04-09

the article was denied by the TOT. so the author had to make something on the fly. (is my guess) the idea IS to create a drought. has always been. just look at how thaksins government has handled water problems. (or any problem.) the idea has always to BLEED EVERYTHING DRY. the domino pieces have tipped, food is going up, farmers aernt farmin', instead ... they want 300 baht a day. which isnt the same as.... say... growing crops. hell... ill take 300 baht a day .... in exchange to Not do anything worthwhile. i dont need to teach children english. they aernt going to need that.

When you look at the photo above you see why so many people hate Sorn Kran

Then you have the glass half full types who see the girl and remember why they love Songkran. biggrin.png

As a tourist - yes -- but the vast majority of Thai's that I know go to celebrate with family in their hometown. The ones who have to stay try to avoid the aggressive water-bombings.

I love Songkran and so does my Thai family. One year, we took the pickup truck around the moat, in Chiang Mai, packed full of people and water buckets in the back. Everybody had a blast (and I'm talking everybody from 4-over 70 years old).

That may not be the traditional way of celebrating it, but the Thai people I know look forward to it and love it.

Out here in Chiang Dao, it is a little more mellow, but we always had big water buckets in front of our restaurant, next to the highway and foreigners as well as Thai people enjoy the water fights every year. They we take the staff down to the River, on one of the days, every year, eat, drink and watch 10s of thousands of people playing in the ping river, in Chiang Dao.

You are only as old as you act tongue.png and at 55, I refuse to grow up laugh.pngwai2.gif

• Like 2

It was a fun change of pace when I was a tourist.

But now as a full-time resident who isn't shielded by driving his own car or truck around town, it's a pain in the ****.

If farangs and Thais alike exercised some level of manners and consideration during Song Kran, I'd be fine about it. As in, honoring the wishes of those who don't want to get soaked.

But these days, instead, it's usually just a bunch of drunk idiots who will drench anyone who passes by regardless of the circumstance.

I’m glad that I still got my Pick up. Time’s over that I’m driving around having the truck full with water, splashing and get splashed….

I’ve seen to many weird people the last years. It’s not just the accidents. It’s human stupidity. It all started pretty nice when younger people washed the hands of older people to show them respect.

Nowadays you can see so many foreigners who even top Thais. I've seen a guy having his head chopped up with a machete last year, endless fights over some girls.

Finally, you don't have to be well educated to understand that a drought will follow this year.

I’ll do it the old fashioned way, as it used to be. Wish you all a safe Songkran. -coffee1.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

It all started pretty nice when younger people washed the hands of older people to show them respect.

That's part of the original tradition, as I understand it also.

Sadly, at least in a lot of places, that's been overwhelmed by the reckless and often drunken throwing of buckets of water and who knows what else at everyone in the vicinity.

A great tourist attraction for Thailand. whistling.gif

I love Songkran. In the morning I will go down to the Wat and wait for the Buddha to be brought out and circle the Wat. Of course I will be soaked by people washing the Buddha from a distance. If you are fairly close you get soaked also. By the way the two fire trucks help with the getting wet. After this I will walk downtown and usually am involved in several water fights all in good fun. The kids love soaking the old man and having fun. There are also times where we pour water over each others shoulders in a respectful gesture. After the festivities downtown I then walk back to where I parked the truck and go home to dry out. All in all an enjoyable day. As someone said before it is too hard to grow up so I will stay young in my seventies.

I have seen only a few people who objected to getting wet and my advice is to stay home that day.

• Like 1

I love Songkran. In the morning I will go down to the Wat and wait for the Buddha to be brought out and circle the Wat. Of course I will be soaked by people washing the Buddha from a distance. If you are fairly close you get soaked also. By the way the two fire trucks help with the getting wet. After this I will walk downtown and usually am involved in several water fights all in good fun. The kids love soaking the old man and having fun. There are also times where we pour water over each others shoulders in a respectful gesture. After the festivities downtown I then walk back to where I parked the truck and go home to dry out. All in all an enjoyable day. As someone said before it is too hard to grow up so I will stay young in my seventies.

I have seen only a few people who objected to getting wet and my advice is to stay home that day.

But its not just one day, its a hole f******** week

For me, I don't enjoy Songkran anymore. I hate being drenched by many buckets of ice water. When I first moved to Thailand, the number of people, playing Songkran with ice water was very few. Now it seems like every other person is doing it.

As for getting soaked, it's one thing if you're wearing shorts, a singlet and flip flop sandles, and have nothing to do other than to head home.

It's another thing if you're wearing regular or work clothes, have your wallet and smartphone in your pockets or bag, and have on real shoes and socks, and perhaps are trying to go OUT from home or work to conduct some business -- and not want to spend the day squishing about town.