Extending Visa on Arrival and Passport renewal at the same time

Hi,

Im on US passport. Got the 30day on arrival. However, i need to renew my passsport as its only 9 days until im inside the 6 month rule and can no longer do visa runs.

I need to get a 7 day extension to allow me to meet the US embassy that should allow me until this march 3rd. However, I can sumbit my passport application april 30th as im not in bangkok. It takes two weeks to process the passport. Just wondering has anyone had this before. Do i get a letter of exemption from the embassy as the passport overlaps the visa and technicically i will overstay by about 10 days while waiting for my new passport. or do i neeed to leave and how? advice appreciated!

Exceeding the "permission to stay" in the passport will result in an overstay fine of 5oo Bht/ Day

The US Embassy will not issue any letter which "excuses " you from adhering to Thai laws/immigration rules.

March 3 has long past !

Leaving whist the passport is still valid for travel and obtaining a valid tourist visa would appear to be the best option.

Not clear from your, post but if you're thinking that you have to give up your passport while waiting for the new one, you don't. You keep your old passport until the new one arrives. You can exit and reenter for another 30 visa exempt entry (a 30 day stamp is not a visa).

When the new passport arrives the permission to stay stamp in the old one is still valid (even if the passport has been cancelled). You would just show both passports the next time you exit. The embassy may give you a letter with the new passport asking immigration to transfer any applicable stamps but it your case would not be necessary to do so.

As as the 1st reply stated you will not get anything to exempt you from an overstay.

You could do an immediate border run and get a 30 day visa exempt enrtry on reentry. You need 6 months to enter a neighboring country. When you reenter you can then apply for a new passport, it takes about 10 days or less. Or you could go to a consulate or embassy in a neighboring country and get a tourist visa.

Unlike some other countries, your US passport remains valid until you are issued your new one at the Embassy in Bangkok when the old one is cancelled.

Once you get your new passport you will have to show both to exit the country and then continue as usual, whatever that is!

Edited by wayned

Thanks for the replies guys.

Typo - meant may 3rd not march!

I wasnt aware i could keep my passport during processing. for some reason i thought they took it and kept it. some good advice.

So I am thinking, the best option seems if i do an immediate visa run, perhaps a day or two before the six months is up. it expires 19th of oct, so if im right i could go to ranong, 16th or 17th of april, as i think 19th is the deadline for the 6 months. and have another 30 days stay . Then I can then have my visa transferred to my new passport. I can submit my new passport application on the 30th of April with the US consular outreach. The processing time is 2 weeks, so ill be cutting it tight to have it back in time for the next visa run.

How long will it take to be delivered by mail does anyone know?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thanks for the replies guys.

Typo - meant may 3rd not march!

I wasnt aware i could keep my passport during processing. for some reason i thought they took it and kept it. some good advice.

So I am thinking, the best option seems if i do an immediate visa run, perhaps a day or two before the six months is up. it expires 19th of oct, so if im right i could go to ranong, 16th or 17th of april, as i think 19th is the deadline for the 6 months. and have another 30 days stay . Then I can then have my visa transferred to my new passport. I can submit my new passport application on the 30th of April with the US consular outreach. The processing time is 2 weeks, so ill be cutting it tight to have it back in time for the next visa run.

How long will it take to be delivered by mail does anyone know?

You will not have a "visa" and "visas" are Never transferred!

By going to Ranong you will recieve a 3o day visas exempt entry.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

ok.

So i am guessing i will need to use my old passport with the ranong entry stamps to exit the country? The old passport still gets stamped out even if the US embassy punches a hole in it to make it void?

Yep !

The immigration officers at the border know how to handle the matter !