It's begun! Wet today!

FolkGuitar

In our little moobaan, there was lots of children and teenagers getting wild in the streets. A group of teenagers set up their party next to my wife's shop and started drinking with their parents, and the teenagers ranged in age from 13 to 17 and after watching the predictable buying more whiskey and having drinking contests, kids falling passed out while the irresponsible parents watched and laughed and urged them on. Great parenting, teaching your kids how to sanook at songkran and the sad thing is that the kids will end up as dysfunctional as their parents.............happy songkran and hope that the kids made it home safe on their motorcycles.

• Like 1

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Once more into the breech..."

elxl.jpg

Great picture. Shows the spirit of the festival.

I was into water fights back home in North America in my 20's and 30's. In my older age I no longer have the enthusiasm but I do enjoy the people who do have it. I do not go around in the day and so far have only been gunned down once. It was not a big deal as I knew the risk being as it was not dark yet. I also go unarmed.

Sad to see people die but that is part of it. We all know it will happen but continue to participate.

It's like riding a motor bike every one knows there will be accidents yet they continue to ride them.

I do believe that the police should be arresting those throwing water at motor bikes on the highway or roads where the motor bikes are traveling at a high rate of speed. In some cases it is unavoidable. So just go slow and take the water. Try to look on it as a celebration for all who wish to enjoy and as the pictures show there are many.

Don't be a miserable old git and look for some thing to condemn.

• Like 1

Standing around squirting water pistols at each other was something I enjoyed when I was 10 years old but doesn't thrill me too much anymore, but I'm happy for the young people who still get

pleasure out of it. I do feel, though, that getting pelted with large buckets of water while riding my motorbike in traffic, as I did yesterday, is a bit excessive and dangerous. Also had little kids hit me square in the face with powerful garden hoses on my bike. I was hoping to experience the less aggressive side of Songkran, as this is my first one, but getting-around was a bit too difficult.

I agree with you both (NorthernJohn and Duvid,) and while I went armed with only my camera, having no desire to squirt anyone, I did enjoy the mood and getting wet in that heat was a delight. I'd be very happy to see the buckets removed, or at least a good campaign effort to remind people not to throw with all their might at someone just an arm's length away, especially not in their faces. But in fact, the only 'face shots' I received that were deliberate were from either farang or younger teenaged Thai boys. The rest of the world seemed content to either dump water on top of my head or ice water down my back. So very many of the Thais gently poured water on my shoulders.

Without the ice and without the buckets it would have been absolutely delightful... Oh... and turn down the volume! I'm already deaf, and I'm sure a LOT of people lost a good deal of their hearing yesterday without realizing it. There was a sound company's pickup truck mounted with a full 20 speakers all blasting out at 'Beyond Painful' levels. You could 'feel' the bass from a block away! What this truck did to people's hearing surpasses criminal...

siwd.jpg

A little water on my head, shoulders or anywhere while I'm walking is fine with me. But water thrown at riders on motor bikes is dangerous, especially when they don't see it coming.

Yes can be lethal as the stats attest to every year.. but when I explain to them (in Thai) the danger.. I am looked at as if I have two heads,

Same about motorcycle helmets etc etc..

Right, though even stupid Farang depend on others making water available outside of their shops and bars. And without that they would basically need to get i t out of the moat themselves.

Believe me, I really wish we'd have another day on the 16th, but it's never happened to far.

If you really want to catch some more Songkran then the only option is Chonburi province, where the main day is the 19th. This includes Pattaya, though Pattaya sucks for Songkran. (Still, places like Sri Racha or Chonburi city might work.)

If you really want to catch some more Songkran then the only option is Chonburi province, where the main day is the 19th. This includes Pattaya, though Pattaya sucks for Songkran. (Still, places like Sri Racha or Chonburi city might work.)

Isnt Songkran supposed to be a religious festival linked to certain dates all over the Country? If as we are led to believe the original principle is very sacred, how come they can have it on different dates around the Country?

Isnt that a bit like saying that Christmas in London is 25th December but in Manchester its on 28th December???!!!

Am really loving Songkran this year. Am several thousand miles away in another Country. Best place to be for me!

Isnt Songkran supposed to be a religious festival linked to certain dates all over the Country? If as we are led to believe the original principle is very sacred, how come they can have it on different dates around the Country?

Isnt that a bit like saying that Christmas in London is 25th December but in Manchester its on 28th December???!!!

Am really loving Songkran this year. Am several thousand miles away in another Country. Best place to be for me!

It's not a religious festival, it is a new year festival, that includes plenty of rituals at the temples. That still doesn't explain the different dates though!

The death was seen first hand by a friend of mine and his partner,

the incident shook him up quite a bit... quite a mess on the road he said.

but nearby everyone else continued partying until the emergency vehicles arrived.

RIP young man.

Day one Police were fining many people with no helmets and any offence you can think of...

but since then almost no-one is wearing them.

Just saw there was a dead body layed out by the moat at the corner of Chang Moi and Chayapoom, .....

I was on the way do the pharmacy and opposite John's place a farang was being loaded onto an emergency vehicle with what looked a broken leg from a motorcycle accident. Into the pharmacy, then a u-turn to go up Chiang Moi Rd, and as you say, a body being wrapped up in the moat, opposite Riva bar. Thai guy, 30 ish. Both incidents within 5 minutes of each other. RIP.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

12yrs ago was a happy event thai people splashing little water on shoulders for luck everyone enjoyed now the stupid brainless farang have no life in on country come here and try to ruin thai ways because have money to put ice in water drums and big water guns to make songkran a misery for everyone only druken bar girls with there stupid young and old hasbeens trying to impress there hookers i talk about cm maybe yl and clan can fix problem in cm cheers happy songkran stay home

Oh yes those dastardly foreigners; I hear they are also the cause of all crime and litter on the streets.

However, I think you'll find the Thais have turned the Songkran of yesteryear into the Songkran of today all by themselves, but, please, carry on dissing your own (?) if it makes you feel better.

• Like 1