It's begun! Wet today!

FolkGuitar

I'm constantly amazed at the number of ThaiVisa posters who closet themselves away from so much that Thailand has to offer!

I'm curious about my Thai friends who have and want nothing whatsoever to do with playing water [sic] during Songkran. Do they also fall into this category of miserable people who are missing out on "so much that Thailand has to offer"?

EXCELLENT point!

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But feel free to completely not connect with the most significant festival in one's adopted country, that brings so many people so much joy. thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif"

Like Christmas in America? OK, I do enjoy the freedom to opt out.

Nice concise way to put it. There is a middle ground too, and I opt to have it mostly on my terms. I took a 70 year old friend two years ago and now he is a convert, but only in one place, no moat water, and a good escape route to the room. You certainly have to be careful during this time. Some of the play near the busy highways is just nuts, as is anything near tourist areas. I love Songkran, but with my specs!

I'm constantly amazed at the number of ThaiVisa posters who closet themselves away from so much that Thailand has to offer!

I'm curious about my Thai friends who have and want nothing whatsoever to do with playing water [sic] during Songkran. Do they also fall into this category of miserable people who are missing out on "so much that Thailand has to offer"?

nope, i have thai friends that are similar. they stay home for the bulk of the time at songkran, go to temple as is traditional and have a very quiet, respectful festival on their own terms. and they're quite happy to do so. however they also don't feel the need to be miserable old killjoys who can't stand to see people younger than them, both thai and foreign, having this thing called "fun" and so don't moan and rave about it on the internet.

• Like 1

Believe me, I really wish we'd have another day on the 16th, but it's never happened to far.

But you're not taking the pre-Songkran antibiotics that you were asking about in the Health forum to fight the very real likelihood of infections. Eyes, ears, skin holding out OK so far? Wanna risk it another day eh?

Yup! And I'm just fine, thank you very much. wink.png This is after partaking for five days straight. Just the usual muscle aches from using muscles I don't normally use that much the rest of the year. Not even sunburnt, as I used a good water resistant sunblock ..............SNIP.............. But feel free to completely not connect with the most significant festival in one's adopted country, that brings so many people so much joy. thumbsup.gif

Somehow I too managed to survive several days of being soaked to the skin, days of laughing so hard my sides ached, and days of being surrounded by happy people. While there were a couple of incidents that I could have done without, that could be said for any holiday anywhere. By and large, a wonderful time was had by all who participated.

Reminds me of a great quote by James Michener "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home."

I'm constantly amazed at people who don't appreciate not everyone wants to be absolutely drenched ALL THE TIME and even after asking politely not to be hit with water are still totally ignored so being closeted away is the only solution left ?

• Like 1

Why amazed? Maybe because you've misunderstood that Songkran soaking, powdering, icing, buckets-in-the-face, attempts to wreck you and your bike or car, ISN'T an offering as it's forced. You haven't answered the question of why those who don't wish to participate and be victimized MUST be anyway. Why am I forced to accept the offering?

Must? Forced? Not even close. You have the option of participating or not. That's entirely up to you. However, if you go outside in a rainstorm, it's pretty damn foolish to complain about getting wet. Mother Nature isn't listening to you, and at Songkran neither are the Thais. Live with it or leave. The choice is always up to you.

And therefore gain your valuable approval?

It's not my 'valuable' approval you are seeking, it's your own. That's evident from your attempts to belittle me. Unfortunately you don't seem to be getting it... Sorry.

No, they don't. They stay away from the areas where groups are throwing water and enjoy the holiday the way they wish to. I'm guessing they don't spend all their time bitching and moaning about it on some social media forum either... smile.png

During Songkran, people are going to throw water, and doing it the correct way or the incorrect way regardless of what anyone else says. There are fools and there are wise people in every country. No doubt Songkran in Chiang Mai does bring out the idiots. It doesn't make a difference what country one is in, when the majority of that country is having a 'party' they aren't going to change their behavior because some others don't care for it. You may as well complain to Mother Nature about getting wet during Rainy Season. She doesn't give a damn about what you want, and neither will a city full of people out to have what 'they' think is a good time. The key word is 'they.' Not 'you.' Songkran is NOT about YOU.

rb6l.jpg

Edited by FolkGuitar

nope, i have thai friends that are similar. they stay home for the bulk of the time at songkran, go to temple as is traditional and have a very quiet, respectful festival on their own terms. and they're quite happy to do so. however they also don't feel the need to be miserable old killjoys who can't stand to see people younger than them, both thai and foreign, having this thing called "fun" and so don't moan and rave about it on the internet.

No, you've missed the point, deliberately no doubt.

Nobody cares at all that whoever have fun among themselves. Hooligan-on-hooligan, great, go to it, knock yourselves out. But no-o-o-o, the water hooligans insist on maliciously attacking everyone and putting them in danger if possible whether they object or not. Why should I just quietly and passively accept being soaked with filthy water, iced, and powdered for your entertainment? That would be offering "the consent of the victim." Which I won't offer.

Complaints in this case are entirely justified and reasonable. Exaggerating them to "moaning and raving" doesn't advance any case you may think you have.

There are small signs that these legitimate complaints are starting to be heard. smile.png

• Like 2

Why amazed? Maybe because you've misunderstood that Songkran soaking, powdering, icing, buckets-in-the-face, attempts to wreck you and your bike or car, ISN'T an offering as it's forced. You haven't answered the question of why those who don't wish to participate and be victimized MUST be anyway. Why am I forced to accept the offering?

Must? Forced? Not even close. You have the option of participating or not. That's entirely up to you. However, if you go outside in a rainstorm, it's pretty damn foolish to complain about getting wet. Mother Nature isn't listening to you, and at Songkran neither are the Thais. Live with it or leave. The choice is always up to you.

No, forcing people to leave or stay inside is also a forced "participation" of a passive sort. Then, too, staying inside, maybe one has run out of food or needs some medicine from a pharmacy--there are myriad reasons why one needs to go out--and the route may well need to go through Hooligan Hawg Heaven. Even if not, there's no "safe" area because of checkpoints and trucks cruising around. Hence complaints are entirely reasonable and legit.

And we are living with it or leaving, and there're sections of a FAQ devoted to considering those options. But what we don't have to do is just keep quiet about having to do so and pretend we like it. And we Songkran refuseniks are just gonna continue to point out hazards of the "living with it." Actually, hate to tell you this, but there are signs that City Halls are starting to listen. Probably not to us farang but to the Thai complaints.

It's merely pathetic that you think you've made any point with that fatuous Mother Nature analogy. How to Train Your Mind to Think Critically and Form Your Own Opinions

• Like 1

My Songkran this year:

Sunday, trip to a waterfall in the truck. On the way there and back, those who wanted to 'play water' sat in the back of the truck, those who didn't sat in the cab.

Can everyone sit in the cab? Don't count on your always being so "relaxed."

Q: Just ride w/ your car windows rolled up.

A: No, the windshield and rear-view mirrors get powdered and pasted so the driver can't see clearly.

Again:

@bubba, on 29 Mar 2013 - 13:26:

I nearly had a very bad accident driving a car down a straight highway at about 90 kph, when all of a sudden a couple of kids darted out and threw two buckets of water that hit my windscreen. The force of water against my windscreen moving at 90 kph cause a huge noise and caused me to momentarily be unable to see do to the water.

@Ian Curtis, on 29 Mar 2013 - 23:52:

Sad but true. Some years back I was driving back from work taking a back road when a pick-up truck of drunks going in the opposite direction, hurled ice which smashed my windscreen. When I eventually found a garage I had to join the queue for a new windscreen!! Some call this good fun.

Repeat this 10 times: Some of us don't own cars.

But some of our biggest loudmouthed Songkran boosters here on the forum do merely drive around in their cars with their windows rolled up. For all the big talk, they don't really participate--just watch. Real ba-a-adasses! smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/707843-2014-songkran-faq-long/

Edited by JSixpack

My Songkran this year:

Sunday, trip to a waterfall in the truck. On the way there and back, those who wanted to 'play water' sat in the back of the truck, those who didn't sat in the cab. At the waterfall, we ate and swam.

Monday, joined the procession to the local temple. Lots of water gently poured down my back, kids squirted me with water pistols. Calm enough for my 1 year old to enjoy the entire procession. At the temple, dancing, drinking and entertainment on stage.

Tuesday, paid respect to elders of the family, all day drinking and eating.

When my daughter is older, we will take her into Chiang Mai for all the fun and games. We know what to expect, at 1 year old, she wouldn't enjoy it, so this year we didn't go.

At no point have I felt trapped in my house or had any reason to be upset with anyone. Some people need to relax a bit.

Yup, exactly. I've read the past couple posts very carefully and I think where I differ mostly with the Songkran haters is that I don't perceive almost any of it as intentionally malicious. There is a tiny fraction that is definitely in that category, with a relatively high percentage of that tiny fraction foreign, but it's mostly in very limited areas that are easy to avoid.

In a way it's like April's Fools in the sense that on that occasion there is an exemption from the general rule of not to lie or deceive people. For fun. (Though virtually without exception, that sometimes misses the mark, too). During Songkran there is an exemption to the rule of not spraying everyone and everything without permission. That said, I always advocate (incl. to my kids) to never spray anyone who indicates they don't want to get wet, or when it's obvious to leave them alone such as food vendors and others with items that don't respond well to water, very small children and motorcycle riders who aren't clearly participating. (Some are participating as shown by what they wear (fun masks, shirts, and by going slow through massive splashing areas, and/or by having a pillion rider with water gun, etc.) But any motorcycle moving at regular speed should be left alone. We all probably agree that this would be a massive change for the better.

Ultimately, you really can't fight it, so the best way is to join it and enjoy. If you know the water will come flying then driving a motorbike at an insane speed and doing a ridiculous swerve becomes the foolish and irresponsible thing to do, as opposed to taking it slow, coming to a stop, receive the water in the good spirit it is intended, and go along your merry way. Note that I'm not saying that you should do this, I'm explaining the responsible, safe and 'Thai' attitude that will reduce the negativity you feel. You may not realize it but it's a choice to experience absolutely every splash as intentionally malicious; that really is not the intention. Perceiving it in that way and -worse- responding with hostility completes the cultural communication breakdown and likely adds to your blood pressure level.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

My Songkran this year:

Sunday, trip to a waterfall in the truck. On the way there and back, those who wanted to 'play water' sat in the back of the truck, those who didn't sat in the cab.

Yes, we ended up with all 7 in the cab by the end, too cold when soaking wet to sit in the back.

Don't have a car? No worse than when we get 3 days of continuous rain on ocassions in the rainy season, except with the bonus of being able to plan for it, and the opportunity to go out at dark anyway.

Just because your a miserable sod, it doesn't mean others can't have fun.

• Like 2

No, forcing people to leave or stay inside is also a forced "participation" of a passive sort. Then, too, staying inside, maybe one has run out of food or needs some medicine from a pharmacy--there are myriad reasons why one needs to go out--and the route may well need to go through Hooligan Hawg Heaven. Even if not, there's no "safe" area because of checkpoints and trucks cruising around. Hence complaints are entirely reasonable and legit.

Really? Legit? No... Anyone 'needing' food or medicine can go out (and stay dry) in the morning or evening. My wife didn't want to partake in the water throwing, but did want to go out shopping in the morning. She was able to do so with no problem, passing Thapae Gate and Kad Suen Kaew... She stayed dry, got her shopping done, and came home. After 7pm we went to Kad Suen Kaew for dinner. We both stayed dry that time. Perhaps your paranoia is leading you into darker corners?

But you're right... It really IS a shame, that Songkran sneaks up on us like this, so those who don't want to go out can't prepare for it a day or two in advance, filling the pantry and the fridge in advance. You'd think there would be some sort of warning, right?

But what we don't have to do is just keep quiet about having to do so and pretend we like it. And we Songkran refuseniks are just gonna continue to point out hazards of the "living with it."

Would you be so kind as to point out where ANYONE has told you to keep quiet. Would you be so kind as to point out just where ANYONE has told you to pretend to like it. By all means, please DO continue to point out all your fears. Hearing about the sky falling gives people a good laugh.

It's merely pathetic that you think you've made any point with that fatuous Mother Nature analogy.

If you say so... :)

Anyway, keep on complaining. We'll keep on grinning.

My Songkran this year:

Yes, we ended up with all 7 in the cab by the end, too cold when soaking wet to sit in the back.

Don't have a car? No worse than when we get 3 days of continuous rain on ocassions in the rainy season, except with the bonus of being able to plan for it, and the opportunity to go out at dark anyway.

Just because your a miserable sod, it doesn't mean others can't have fun.

Be careful... He gets upset with the 'rainy season' analogy. He's already called my use of it 'pathetic.' ROTFL!

My Songkran this year:

Q: Just ride w/ your car windows rolled up.

A: No, the windshield and rear-view mirrors get powdered and pasted so the driver can't see clearly.

!?

Question: Are you actually in Chiang Mai?

The powder thing is far less common here, especially not to the point that it would affect any car windows.. Are you perhaps in Bangkok or the South? (There are definitely some places with far less access to an abundant water supply, and that results in powder / chalk being used way too much. I dislike that stuff too.) In Chiang Mai fortunately whatever powder is used will almost immediately wash away.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

taking it slow, coming to a stop, receive the water in the good spirit it is intended, and go along your merry way.

Not with your helmet and mirrors pasted over or powder in your eyes, you don't. Fail. Seems you don't know what's really going on. I do, been there done that.

it's a choice to experience absolutely every splash as intentionally malicious; that really is not the intention. Perceiving it in that way and -worse- responding with hostility completes the cultural communication breakdown and likely adds to your blood pressure level.

A Thai woman enjoying a benevolent slash and good cultural communication:

xpost-53404-0-75681000-1365923657.jpg.pa

Watch me make her crash her motorbike!

Photo & caption credit: SurfRider

@tlock, on 2012-04-19 21:14:48:

It does seem like the goal is to make me wreck my bike. Every bowl and water cannon was aiming for my eyes, and people would do things like hide behind something and jump out and hit me in the face with water...

@willyumiii, on 30 Mar 2013 - 09:45:

...last year I found several jerks were throwing cold water with large chunks of ice in the water. I was hit in the mouth with a chunk of ice the size of a fist last year and went home bleeding and in a considerable amount of pain. The injury could have been worse.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/707843-2014-songkran-faq-long/

Anyone 'needing' food or medicine can go out (and stay dry) in the morning or evening.

Yep, that's what they have to do, unless there's a sudden emergency--an inconvenience that should be unnecessary. And all the planning and stockpiling should also be unnecessary. You haven't said anything that we Songkran refuseniks don't already know quite well. Been there, done it all.

But what we don't have to do is just keep quiet about having to do so and pretend we like it. And we Songkran refuseniks are just gonna continue to point out hazards of the "living with it."

Would you be so kind as to point out where ANYONE has told you to keep quiet. Would you be so kind as to point out just where ANYONE has told you to pretend to like it. By all means, please DO continue to point out all your fears. Hearing about the sky falling gives people a good laugh.

Oh, but anyone not pretending to like it is called names like "old git" and "miserable sod" etc. That's we don't mind at all calling the hooligans morons and idiots.

And it's not matter of fears but realties of which newbies aren't aware. You could well be singing quite a different tune someday. Or maybe not--never think I really give a shit. smile.png

Anyway, keep on complaining. We'll keep on grinning.

We will, and you can keep on chortling and gurgling--till you don't. Many a Songkran refusenik once shared your view. smile.png

As much fun as I had taking the grandkids around the moat in a tuktuk there were aspects of it that weren't fun, such as power jets of water in the eye, buckets of water thrown with so much force that it was like a smack in the face and powder water rubbed into my eye that caused red eye and inflamed eyelids. It only cleared up today after 48 hours and medication.

It's clear that some aspects of it need looking into and the fact that posters such as I showed earlier are being put up, as well as 'No alcohol' signs show that the lolcals are also concerned. There is no need to throw water at speed into the face of the driver of a moving motorbike, Songkran or not. The point is that plenty of people participating in the fun are not enjoying some of it, so why not sort those problems out instead of simply offering the stay in doors alternative. It does't have to be all or nothing.

• Like 1

taking it slow, coming to a stop, receive the water in the good spirit it is intended, and go along your merry way.

Not with your helmet and mirrors pasted over or powder in your eyes, you don't. Fail. Seems you don't know what's really going on. I do, been there done that.

Again.. you're not in Chiang Mai.. Aintcha? rolleyes.gif

I think you are applying the skewed experiences of whichever tourist hell hole you call home to the country as a whole.

A Thai woman enjoying a benevolent slash and good cultural communication:

xpost-53404-0-75681000-1365923657.jpg.pa

Watch me make her crash her motorbike!

Again.. not a Chiang Mai scene. (It's very likely Pattaya.. Which may well be where you are located?)

Because that would make total sense; I was in Pattaya once for Songkran. It was pretty terrible. Think all the lunatics that are confined to a small area near Thapae but then everywhere.. and they don't stop at night.. and they use powdered chalk everywhere.. and there isn't really enough water to go around in town. And some more reasons.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

It's truly amazing that miserable gits on here can object to what is possibly the best street party on the planet, is entirely voluntary in terms of participation, probably safer than a Liverpool / Everton football game or an American highschool and gives tons of fun to thousands of people.

As well as generating a lot of dosh for the local economy.

Yeah, shut it down...................

I don't remember reading any one that advocates that. All I am reading is people complaining about being the victim unvoluntarily. As it has evolved from people gently pouring water onto hands into aggressive and drunk foreigners armed with large dispensers the rules have changed quite considerably and all people who don't want to participate are asking for is the right to politely ask not to be drenched and for that request to be adhered to

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 1

Anyone 'needing' food or medicine can go out (and stay dry) in the morning or evening.

Yep, that's what they have to do, unless there's a sudden emergency--an inconvenience that should be unnecessary. And all the planning and stockpiling should also be unnecessary. You haven't said anything that we Songkran refuseniks don't already know quite well. Been there, done it all.

So in other words, you CAN go out and NOT get wet... contrary to what you were claiming before. You just can't do it exactly at the minute you decide to go.... Try and tough it out. Thailand isn't going to change just because you want it to.

No one is denying that there are a few idiots out there who will throw water at the wrong people or at the wrong time. There are idiots everywhere.

No one is denying that a few people get hurt during the holiday. People get hurt during every holiday in every country.

No one is denying that for those who don't wish to participate, the holiday can be a pain in the butt. So is New Years Eve and Christmas Day in most major cites all over the world. Thailand is no different.

And it's not matter of fears but realties of which newbies aren't aware. You could well be singing quite a different tune someday. Or maybe not--never think I really give a shit. smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

This was my 11th Songkran. While it's entirely possible that I will be 'singing quite a different tune someday,' the possibility is far greater that I'll die of old age first.

As for your "never think I really give a shit. smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png," that certainly explains why you've spent so much time trying to convince me of these 'deadly dangers' of what has to be one of the world's largest and best attended parties. Perhaps Thailand isn't the best choice for your future. You don't sound very happy here. Please allow those of us who are to enjoy it.

To support a few others on this forum who dont like the Chiang Mai Mayhem, last year I attended Songkran festivities in my partners home village, near to Pong, which is close to Phayao. The three days I spent there was charming, lovely and delightful.

My partners father is one of the village elders, so throughout there was a constant stream of wellwishers coming for a blessing, including the exchange of small gifts, and a TRICKLE of water, no more.

It was noticeable that apart from a few kids splashing each other with hose pipes and small buckets, there was no interference with the lives of anyone who just wanted to go about their daily business.

In the evening there was food and drink.....lots of drink.......drank me under the table, but it was all done with charm and humour, as I feel it should be. So, in summary, I m not a "killjoy" by any means, I loved a traditional respectful Songkran, and will do so again, my only problem is with the out of hand stupid nonsense that Chiang Mai moat area has become in recent years!

• Like 1

It's truly amazing that miserable gits on here can object to what is possibly the best street party on the planet, is entirely voluntary in terms of participation, probably safer than a Liverpool / Everton football game or an American highschool and gives tons of fun to thousands of people.

As well as generating a lot of dosh for the local economy.

Yeah, shut it down...................

I don't remember reading any one that advocates that. All I am reading is people complaining about being the victim unvoluntarily.

That's the point... it is NOT involuntarily. If you go out in the rain, you are going to get wet. No and's, if's, or but's. It's going to happen and YOU KNOW IT BEFORE YOU CHOOSE TO GO OUT. It's a choice you make.

During Songkran, like it or not, if you go out in areas where people are playing, YOU ARE GOING TO GET WET. That's a choice you make at that time. You are not going to stop the rain and you are not going to stop Songkran. That fact that the holiday has evolved into this is no relevant to the problem. It is what it is, and you do get the choice of being involved or not.

My wife didn't wish to be involved, so she wasn't. She still managed to go out and get done the things she needed to do, and did so without getting wet. It just took a bit of forethought and planning. It wasn't magic and it wasn't luck. I chose to be involved, and enjoyed 99% of what I experienced. I did NOT enjoy ice water. I did NOT enjoy a bucket of water in my face. But for a total of 2 minutes out of three full days, that wasn't such a major issue, was it... Nor did I die from the ice water nor bucket in my face.

Frankly, I'm rather amazed that I didn't, based upon what I've read in this thread.

I'm amazed that people, mostly non-Thai I'm sure, feel the need to defend it on an internet forum, to people voicing their dislike of it where their complaints will do absolutely nothing to change it. It's not like the defending posters don't know what will happen on this forum.

Then they, the mostly non-Thais, defend it as if what it has become, especially around the moat area, serves the purpose of the intent of Songkran.

Now I'm amazed that I am commenting on the comments to the comments.

Edited by hml367

If you go out in the rain, you are going to get wet. No and's, if's, or but's. It's going to happen and YOU KNOW IT BEFORE YOU CHOOSE TO GO OUT. It's a choice you make.

Actually, I take an umbrella, if it looks like rain is a possibility. Doubt that would work in Songkran....

If you go out in the rain, you are going to get wet. No and's, if's, or but's. It's going to happen and YOU KNOW IT BEFORE YOU CHOOSE TO GO OUT. It's a choice you make.

Actually, I take an umbrella, if it looks like rain is a possibility. Doubt that would work in Songkran....

Probably wouldn't work in a typhoon either. Perhaps, if you 'chose' to go out in it and needed to stay dry, you could put on a Sou'wester instead. We need to chose the correct tools for the job at hand.