Help! Worried about getting a taxi on Monday morning April 14

rtrivedi1

I know that Thailand is essentially shut down 12-15 of April. I live on Soi 52 near on nut BTS, have a flight at 8am. How difficult will it be to get a cab? Do cabbies take off for songkran? Or am I just worried for nothing? I have half a mind of booking myself in an airport hotel from tomorrow night just so I don't have to worry about taxi availability. Please, someone with songkran experience in BKK, please give me some advice. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Are you flying from Suvarnabhumi or Don Muang?

If Suvarnabhumi and you don't have a huge amount of luggage I'd just take the BTS to Asok, MRT to Makkasan and then railway link to the airport (I believe the link from Phaya Thai is closed from 14th April). This is what I usually do when I fly just to avoid traffic and I live at On Nut too.

That said last year I took taxis around Songkran (admittedly not to the airport), they were harder to get but it was more due to them not wanting to drive around wet people.

Flying out of Suvarnabhumi and unfortunately have a lot of luggage with me on this trip. Good to hear that taxis were at least out there for you on songkran, I am sure worst case scenario I can offer a bit more to any hesitant taxi. Thanks for the reply, you alleviated my concern.

Quick follow-up question, as you live in same area: Do you have a laundry/dry cleaner you can recommend for suits and collared shirts? Last week I had used the back counter across swensens ice cream in the mini shopping mall/Tesco mall, but nearly had a minor heart attack when I got the bill...

Flying out of Suvarnabhumi and unfortunately have a lot of luggage with me on this trip. Good to hear that taxis were at least out there for you on songkran, I am sure worst case scenario I can offer a bit more to any hesitant taxi. Thanks for the reply, you alleviated my concern.

Quick follow-up question, as you live in same area: Do you have a laundry/dry cleaner you can recommend for suits and collared shirts? Last week I had used the back counter across swensens ice cream in the mini shopping mall/Tesco mall, but nearly had a minor heart attack when I got the bill...

I use a service called Mrs Laundry, not sure if they do dry cleaning but the owner speaks good English, let me know and I can PM her number to you. They collect, wash, dry, press and return for 20THB per item. Great service and collect/drop off from On Nut on Tuesday and Friday. I've been using them for around 6 months and it's always top notch.

I think there's a dry cleaning place on Sukhumvit 79 (small soi just before Ideo Verve condo), there's a small 24 hour shop and I think they do dry cleaning there (and for a random bonus tip the small restaurant a little further down has a wood fire oven and does great pizza).

• Like 1

Tbailo- Thanks, please PM Mrs. Laundry's number, that sounds like a great deal! I will check out the shop in the alley, will take my suits there tomorrow. Will try the pizza place you recommended. Thanks!

• Like 2

Tbailo- Thanks, please PM Mrs. Laundry's number, that sounds like a great deal! I will check out the shop in the alley, will take my suits there tomorrow. Will try the pizza place you recommended. Thanks!

Sent you a PM

• Like 1

The only downside with GrabTaxi (which I love as a service) is that it doesn't guarantee you a taxi- drivers can choose whether or not to answer the request for a taxi and a few times I've found that it becomes impossible to get someone to pick you up.

I used these people when I need a guaranteed taxi to the airport- 1000 baht might not be the cheapest but they've always been on time and never been any problems.

http://www.bangkoklimo.org/our_rate.php

edit: obviously you need to call and book in advance

Edited by Rumblecat
  • Like 1

In addition to GrabTaxi there is also Easy Taxi and Uber. There are also many radio dispatch services, e.g 1681, and private limo companies. You can also chat up local drivers who may take you, at a pre-arranged time, for a negotiated flat rate.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ubercab

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.grabtaxi.passenger

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=br.com.easytaxi

http://www.fromatob.com/taxi/bangkokth

Since there are so few customers/passengers, and still plenty of taxis, I seriously doubt you'll have a problem.

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 1

The only downside with GrabTaxi (which I love as a service) is that it doesn't guarantee you a taxi- drivers can choose whether or not to answer the request for a taxi and a few times I've found that it becomes impossible to get someone to pick you up.

I used these people when I need a guaranteed taxi to the airport- 1000 baht might not be the cheapest but they've always been on time and never been any problems.

I just called and was pleasantly surprised the gentleman who answered spoke perfect English. Booked car for 6am.

Thanks again to everyone for the taxi, laundry and private car info. This group is great! Will be here for another two years so likely will be bothering you all for advice again In the near future. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

Seriously, 20 baht per item is a good deal? I used to do it a laundry shop across my street (in Bangkok) for 30 baht a kilo. Now I moved to a different building I use the self-service laundry room and I can wash and dry all my clothes for 50 baht.

Seriously, 20 baht per item is a good deal? I used to do it a laundry shop across my street (in Bangkok) for 30 baht a kilo. Now I moved to a different building I use the self-service laundry room and I can wash and dry all my clothes for 50 baht.

What do you wear whilst washing all your clothes?

The OP seems to have happily paid more than needed to have peace of mind. I used to try to save 100B here and there when dealing with transport. Now I just consider it a part of the hotel/air cost, and book with whatever is convenient and stress free.

And instead of worrying about the cost of laundry, I gave a local girl 2000B/month to keep my room clean once a week, wash and iron my clothes twice a week and help me out when I didn't know what to do (eg when I forgot to pay my electric and it was too late to pay at 7/11).

Paying extra for convenience and peace of mind is worthwhile. But I'll still insist on Thai price when visiting national parks.

Rumble- your contact was excellent, arrived on time and had ok problems. I have some family coming in town and have already hired service R/T Pattaya with him. Thanks again!

I have a washing machine in the condo. Have no problem waging my shorts, thirst, boxers, Etc. I had inquired where I can take my suits and collared shirts to. When it comes to my suits and work collared shirts I never use the washing machine. It may work, but I've personally never tried it.