Bangkok has changed so much

petedk

Very interesting video. Yeah, it changed all right. Now it's shopping malls, cars, mini skirts or shorts the size of panties, "other people don't exist" mentality....and Buddhism has been replaced by the "baht religion".

Sorry, I don't have much admiration of how most Asian cultures have developed over the past 50 years or so.

Edited by elzach

Since the emphasis of the old video seems to be on religion, I feel compelled to comment. If Buddha was to come to Thailand today he would not be pleased with the practice that he founded. As is the case with many religions the philosophy is good but the priests, monks and religious leaders have fallen into a practise of control where the religion is foremost and the philosophy has fallen into decay. Did Buddha want his followers to be living off the work of the congregation ? Did Buddha advocate the building of excessive temples on the backs of practitioners in a country with scarce resources ? Buddha did not live like this nor did he smoke, drink beer and shop . Instead of contributing to Thai society the monks live like leaches on the backs of their congregations which they control with superstitious practises that Buddha never advocated. They do not even pray in a language that Thais can understand.

Be not concerned that I am hard on Buddhism because I could say the same for all religions. Faith is good and there are many people who have a personal connection to a greater power but there are many religious leaders who take advantage of the masses for their own benefit and sometimes that is just seeking control.

Wish all the picturesque waterways were still there....and the people content to live with nature.

Sorry, but this attitude really ticks me off.

You are - apparently - a Westerner, who came to Thailand on an amazing Flying Machine to enjoy "primitive Thailand". A place you seem to believe should be frozen in time for your own entertainment, so that you can enjoy the "Zoo" here ....... spend 15 minutes or so watching Somchai walking behind his Buffalo as he ploughs his ricefield (and take the requisite photographs to show your friends "back home" of course); for the Farang tourist it's as bucolic as h#ll - unless you happen to be the poor bu99er walking behind the Buffalo for 12 hours in the heat of the day of course.

God forbid he should ever be allowed to buy a Tractor because that does not fit in with your required image of a third world Country living in the past, and you could take photos of a tractor in your home Country anyway.

Then, once you have had your fill of watching peasants "content to live with nature", you will happily fly back to your cosy aircon Apartment in N..Y., London or wherever and forget about the poor ba$tards who gave you an hour or so amusement - until your next annual leave.

Patrick

Patrick,

Longing for a lost easygoing lifestyle doesn't mean anyone wants to give up technology.

I miss the casual style of times gone by, but I was raised in a rural community, where doors were not locked and children had no fear of strangers.

Any city is much more stressful.

40+ years ago, many older men and women dressed in the old style, with short hair, while younger women often went without tops.

photosEven more startling can be seeing film/photos of BKK from in the 60s them compare to 20 years later....that's when the rapid boom in BKK really is illustrated. I recall a wonderful cityscape shot in a 1960s Nat Geo from Wat Arun looking east then the same again from the same angle in 1982. A remarkable comparison.

Edited by HeavyDrinker

Could anyone post the name of the music from the second clip

its beautiful

The music is " Arrival to earth" By Steve Jablonsky. Some 25 seconds into the clip you can read it.

The maker of this second clip "Goodnight Bangkok" is a member on TV, see this topic : http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/706383-good-night-bangkok-a-time-lapse-film-of-bkk/