How good is your knowledge of the island?

Hello, I have started a game on Samui called Samui Quest which is a game that involves solving clues and travelling around the island to gain codes. It is on a similar principle to geocaching, but is also a race at a designated start and finish time.

First everyone would meet for a briefing before the start time and be given a clue to the first of 10 locations. The object of the game is to go to each location and find a pre-placed object that will have a code inside. Once you have this code you enter it into a website that will give you the next clue for the next location. Whoever finishes first wins, simple!

Anyone interested? At my last game there were 35 people playing in groups ranging from 2 to 8 people per group.

Other points of importance are this is a night game that starts at 23:00 and finishes at 05:00 - some refreshments supplied at the end. And you will need internet access all through the night.

What do you think?

3may.jpg

Hmmm driving around Samui in the middle of the night on a motorbike looking for clues. facepalm.gif

Having checked the date - no it's not 1st April. So - this must be something that young people do!

Sorry - I am too old and too sensible to ride around Samui at night and not concentrating on the road 100%.

However I wish you luck. thumbsup.gif

(That's what I think anyway.) wai.gif

• Like 1

How strange.

Sorry, but to have people whizzing around the Island all night in some sort of weird "race" to get clues to try and finish first where the "prize" is a "refreshment" at the end just seems very odd to me.

My god, the roads are dangerous enough without having some people flying around desperately trying to win their "refreshments" at the end......or is it just the "glory" in winning? who knows eh? ha ha.

I know the guy that is running this and he is a good guy. I understand if this is not your cup of tea, but that doesn't mean you should knock it. Personally I find golf the most boring activity known to mankind, but other people seem to enjoy it, so let them.

The reason it is at night is because of the traffic problem primarily, but also because it adds a sense of drama to the activity. The game needs to be done at a quick pace and getting caught in traffic would just become tedious. As for concerns about the 'prize' of refreshments at the end? Do you remember when you used to do things for fun? Or is it all about financial gain now?

Will I be playing? No. I want to be tucked up in bed at that time while these guys ( and girls - girls won it last time) will be living their life running around the island.

He has told me the nights activity will be in the Chaweng, Choeng Mon and Bangrak area this time.

If traffic is the primary concern, then doing it at night certainly won't help much. As I said, even though the traffic is lower at night, it's also much more dangerous with the risk of drunk drivers as well as it's generally more dangerous to drive in the night with roads conditions like this on the island. Depending on how the girls are scantily clad, they're also in risk of getting mugged and raped. You may argue that they're in group, but any potential perpetrators can also be in group and may have weapons. They may be high on something and at night won't have much second thought of doing something.

Reality check please! This is Thailand! Not some western country where it may be perfectly safe to do this at night.

There's also many parts of the island, such as inner parts, where traffic is nearly nonexistent. Obviously you won't get the spectacular ocean views, but this point would be moot anyway since you're doing it at night, so the scenery on the island seems to be not of importance.

We're knocking it not because we don't like it, by all means, it's a great activity, but doing it at night is just STUPID, no matter what kind of reasoning you're trying to explain with!

I know the intentions of the people who arranged this are good, but it's very naive to decide to do it at night.

These people aren't gonna be "living their life" running around the island, but "risking their life" by doing it at night like this.

In additional, depending on where you're hiding these clues, have you ever thought of people who actually want to sleep at this hour? By hiding some clue in a neighborhood, there may be a rush of you guys to where the clues are hidden and all the noise the bikes and you people talking etc etc...

Just do it in the freaking day for gods sake!

Edited by Mole
  • Like 2

If traffic is the primary concern, then doing it at night certainly won't help much. As I said, even though the traffic is lower at night, it's also much more dangerous with the risk of drunk drivers as well as it's generally more dangerous to drive in the night with roads conditions like this on the island. Depending on how the girls are scantily clad, they're also in risk of getting mugged and raped. You may argue that they're in group, but any potential perpetrators can also be in group and may have weapons. They may be high on something and at night won't have much second thought of doing something.

Reality check please! This is Thailand! Not some western country where it may be perfectly safe to do this at night.

There's also many parts of the island, such as inner parts, where traffic is nearly nonexistent. Obviously you won't get the spectacular ocean views, but this point would be moot anyway since you're doing it at night, so the scenery on the island seems to be not of importance.

We're knocking it not because we don't like it, by all means, it's a great activity, but doing it at night is just STUPID, no matter what kind of reasoning you're trying to explain with!

I know the intentions of the people who arranged this are good, but it's very naive to decide to do it at night.

These people aren't gonna be "living their life" running around the island, but "risking their life" by doing it at night like this.

In additional, depending on where you're hiding these clues, have you ever thought of people who actually want to sleep at this hour? By hiding some clue in a neighborhood, there may be a rush of you guys to where the clues are hidden and all the noise the bikes and you people talking etc etc...

Right on! Mole thumbsup.gif .... there are lots of roads around, this could be done on during the day..... blink.pngcoffee1.gif

If this was done during the day, would some of you play?

Personally, I'm not a night owl and am rarely out of my house after 10 o'clock, so I'm not qualified to gauge how dangerous Samui is in the early hours. Sure everywhere is that bit more dangerous at night, but is Samui that bad? Is there a mugging and raping issue on Samui?

If this was done during the day, would some of you play?

Personally, I'm not a night owl and am rarely out of my house after 10 o'clock, so I'm not qualified to gauge how dangerous Samui is in the early hours. Sure everywhere is that bit more dangerous at night, but is Samui that bad? Is there a mugging and raping issue on Samui?

Possibly, ..... if there was more info.... (can the OP not speak for himself?) .....and it's not held in the busy areas of Chawang etc... There are loads of interesting spots on the island.... without having to go through traffic madness....bah.gif day or night!

I don't think Samui is that bad generally in your second point, re muggings and rapes... no different than anywhere else in drug or booze areas... around the world... wink.png Generally speaking I would say Samui is a safe place to be.....

Who knows where Santa Claus hangs out all year?..... or where Waikiki beach is? (just some examples!) tongue.png

Let's see what the OP comes up with, with a little more detail..., wink.png .... perhaps then there could be a little more excitement generated thumbsup.gif

I have no opinion on the activity since i won't be participating it not necessary for me to judge those who are participating.

As a first time visitor to Samui in the next couple of weeks though, the comments i have bolded concern me very much.

My wife (62) is a stopout and won't go home while there's fun to be had. This often see's me going home before here or staying out with her and rarely see's her going home when i'm readylaugh.png

If muggings and rapes by armed gangs is a possibility in Samui it's not one i've seen brought up before in all the research i have done. Can someone comment please on if this is an actual concern for a couple walking back to a resort in North Chaweng in the wee hours of the mornings?

If it is a real concern and not an overdramatisation on the posters behalf, how common are these crimes?

I've read back thirty pages through here of topics and never seen a mention of this type of thing? Worse thread i saw was a tourist lifting anothers handbag.

If i told my wife about this she would refuse to go, but if i'm aware it's a problem i can take steps to guard against it.blink.png

I have no opinion on the activity since i won't be participating it not necessary for me to judge those who are participating.

As a first time visitor to Samui in the next couple of weeks though, the comments i have bolded concern me very much.

My wife (62) is a stopout and won't go home while there's fun to be had. This often see's me going home before here or staying out with her and rarely see's her going home when i'm readylaugh.png

If muggings and rapes by armed gangs is a possibility in Samui it's not one i've seen brought up before in all the research i have done. Can someone comment please on if this is an actual concern for a couple walking back to a resort in North Chaweng in the wee hours of the mornings?

If it is a real concern and not an overdramatisation on the posters behalf, how common are these crimes?

I've read back thirty pages through here of topics and never seen a mention of this type of thing? Worse thread i saw was a tourist lifting anothers handbag.

If i told my wife about this she would refuse to go, but if i'm aware it's a problem i can take steps to guard against it.blink.png

Everything is possible, like in any other city in the world.

Everything is possible, like in any other city in the world.

Agree with SC!

we seem to be getting a bit off the original topic... rolleyes.gif

As I said above "I don't think Samui is that bad generally in your second point, re muggings and rapes... no different than anywhere else in drug or booze areas... around the world... wink.png.pagespeed.ce.HJgPQ3U3SA.png Generally speaking I would say Samui is a safe place to be....."

That's why many tourists keep coming back, year after year and many expats live here... If you look for trouble you can probably find it... here or anywhere in OZ! That's why you cannot find much to read about those kind of problems on Samui or the islands.... just come and enjoy your stay .... & just use common sense.... Let's just say the vast majority of visitors really don't have problems .... thumbsup.gif

never heard about that, however never go outside evening or nighttime, but know many people on the island, however most of them never go outside evening or night too, but they should know someone who goes outside at night, and therefore should have heard something. Sure, there must be bad things sometimes, but all in all I would say Samui is safe. Apart from traffic.

Edited by Birdman

Wow....

The OP comes up with something different and gets slammed..!!!!

The roads are dangerous, the girls will get raped, the noise will wake locals up..?

Go live in Singapore if you want a nanny state with the heat.

You don't need to partake in the event and you don't need to ridicule a guys idea of fun.

Plenty of people will enjoy a bit of risk taking, it's what makes life worth living.

P.S no I won't be joining in as I will be in Phuket on that date, living on the edge at a Uni reunion :)

Muggings and rapes are a possibility anywhere in the world. (Even Singapore).

However - they are a lot less common in most Asian countries.

My wife likes to party too and has returned home on her own regularly in Singapore, Bangkok, Hong Kong and yes - Koh Samui. She feels much safer here than in her own hometown where she was mugged twice within a relatively short space of time.

Usual, sensible precautions that your wife would adhere to elsewhere in the world should keep her safe.

Relax and enjoy Koh Samui.

Edited by Tropicalevo

Well, at least a bit more info, with a web link, which is what was asked for.... The OP could have saved a lot of grief by posting that initially! facepalm.gif

I know one of the people pictured, so will have a tete de tete.... and get more info!

I would still not be interesting in a night time event, reading the web site, there are events held during the day in some areas where this takes place !

Reading this It makes me wonder how some people pluck up the courage to get on a plane and travel

If that's directed at me i was questioning the poster's view who made out that rape and robbery by armed gangs was likely for anyone (even in groups) being out at night.

I thought it was a pretty out of the blue comment and was questioning to ensure that it was not a taboo subject that was common but unmentioned.

There's plenty of places in small country towns, let alone cities in Australia i would not let my wife venture on foot in the day time, let alone night. It seems to me that when i travel it helps to know where these places are.