rabbit card for BTS for tourists on short term visit.

ultimate weapon

http://www.bts.co.th/customer/en/01-ticket-type.aspx

Many options: single-journey, one day, quantity of "rides", stored value. The standard Rabbit stored value card is 50 baht (non-refundable) + 50 baht (refundable) + 100 baht (stored value), so 200 baht in total.

Using a card of any type is more about saving time (queuing for change, queuing to use the ticketing machines) than saving money.

So you don't really get any discount then like you do with osyster cards in London?

Similar to Malaysia, no one bothers with their card things as there is no discount, just saves queuing and no one fancies paying the deposit for basically nothing as they see it

So you don't really get any discount then like you do with osyster cards in London?

Similar to Malaysia, no one bothers with their card things as there is no discount, just saves queuing and no one fancies paying the deposit for basically nothing as they see it

No discount that I'm aware of....and 50 baht isn't much of a deposit to pay for the convenience. The rabbit card can also be used to pay for other goods/services around Bangkok, like at restaurants and movie theaters, if memory serves me correctly.

Of course there is a discount. At least on the Rabbit cards that I have used for more than a year. I pay 22 baht a trip. Even if I take a ten stations ride. For a very short ride the price is about the same. For a long ride it's about half the price compared to pay cash. And you don't have to stand in the long ticket line.

And you can't pay in restaurants, movie theaters and those places with your rabbit card.

Edited by larsjohnsson

No discount that I'm aware of....and 50 baht isn't much of a deposit to pay for the convenience.

If you have ever seen the 15 - 20 minute wait for change, and the 10 - 15 minute wait at the ticket machine, then you'll understand that a deposit of 50 baht is well worth the five year convenience.

As others have highlighted, and is evident in the link, purchasing "rides" or "trips" can represent a significant discount, assuming you travel more than two or three stations per trip, and can use your trips within 30 days.

I think the bulk per trip rate ranges from 22 ~ 27 baht for adults, and 16 ~ 21 baht for a student. There is also a discount (~ 50 %) for a Senior Rabbit Card.

http://www.bts.co.th/customer/en/images/TicketType.jpg