Citric Acid

rishi

The steampipe on my espresso machine makes a heck of a noise. According to the (English) manual I'm supposed to let some citric acid run through it once in a while in order to remove lime scale. In my homecountry citric acid can be bough at any pharmacy or supermarket.

By now I've been to all the supermarkets and half of the pharmacies in Chiang Mai but haven't seen it and even English speaking pharmacists don't know what I'm talking about.

Does anyone know, where one might get this rare substance? Alternatively, does anyone know about an equivalent remedy less rare around here?

If you are dead set on getting citric acid, it's obtainable from the chemical suppliers in Suhtep Road opposite the faculty on medicine.

Alternatively use the age old remedy of removing scale form kettles etc.....houesold vinegar, which is mild acetic acid. Always worked for Granny :o

If worse comes to worse squeeze a bunch of lemons or limes, strain and use them. They have the strongest concentration (~8%) of citric acid of the natural fruits.

Edited by tywais

... by the way - how does 'vinegar acid' look like, when it's written in Thai?... My heavy duty dictionary doesn't seem to know.

It's nam son sai chu in english, and in Thai it's น้ำส้มสายชู

... by the way - how does 'vinegar acid' look like, when it's written in Thai?... My heavy duty dictionary doesn't seem to know.

I think your heavy duty dictionary would be more obliging if you look for "acetic acid" which is a more proper scientific name.

Priceless

I think your heavy duty dictionary would be more obliging if you look for "acetic acid" which is a more proper scientific name.

Priceless

If you are looking for Acetic acid it's กรดน้ำส้ม but not too many Thais will understand what you want. Just ask for vinegar (น้ำส้มสายชู)

The steampipe on my espresso machine makes a heck of a noise.

on aside, what sort of espresso machine do you have? Im thinking of investing in one but not sure which ones are any good ie make great coffee.