5y driver licence renewal Bang Lamung

Swiss1960

This is specific for the Bang Lamung office, that is why I post here and not in the motor forum. I was trying to make an appointment on https://gecc.dlt.go.th/, registration went fine, but when I try to select the Bang Lamung office, I get this picture, greyed out meaning "temporarily suspended". 

Question: does Bang Lamung not offer this at all? Do I have to sit through the video in their "conference room"? What are the waiting times, when you arrive in the office early morning? Other surprises to expect? 
TIAimage.png.d186ca5b4566698d00d24b6fc75c37f7.png

16 minutes ago, keithcresswell said:

I renewed my 5 year license in February and was told foreigners have to make an appointment in person, bring your passport and get there before 9 as appointments are limited. When you come back you must have a qr code proving you watched the video.

ok, thanks. So you make an appointment and have to watch the video there in the DLT office?

1 hour ago, fulhamster said:

You need to go to the Banglamung licence office in person to make an appointment.

You will need to show your licence and passport. They will then give you a date, you can decide if you want morning or afternoon. 

They will give you a list of what to bring for the test, including the website for the video. 

You need to watch this at home, answering questions online during the video. Assuming you answer correctly, a screen showing a message confirming you have passed the video test will display. You need to print this out, to take with you at your appointment. 

You cannot just show up and do the test. 

This was correct as of last week

Do you have to do the 50 questions again to renew 5 years? I flippen hope not

I have a 2 year temporary Thai motorbike licence from the Pattaya office. If only one year has passed, is it possible to go and apply to get the 5 year one or do you have to wait for the 2 year period to be expired/close to expired?  There is actually a reason why I would like to do this but the reason is not important to post here.

55 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

I got mine 2 months before expiration. It depends on the office.

Yes, me too. I always thought “wait until it expires” was a bit of an expat myth, but a lot depends upon the office.

Not much use to the OP, only another 10 months to go. ???? 

3 hours ago, recom273 said:

Yes, me too. I always thought “wait until it expires” was a bit of an expat myth, but a lot depends upon the office.

No myth just rules that are not easy to find for us.

4 hours ago, cjinchiangrai said:

I got mine 2 months before expiration. It depends on the office.

What I would have expected. As written I am quite sure it's three months.

A couple of questions :

1) For a 5 year renewal what is the current cost of doing it yourself vs what agents are currently charging ?   

2) Does the Jomtien Immigration office charge for the Residence Certificate and do you get it same day as application ?

Thanks.

22 hours ago, Guderian said:

I got a new 5-year licence yesterday.

Excellent detailed report.

Posting to underline it.

I did my renewal 2 to 5 yr last week at CW.

The post I quoted covers everything. 

I went on a Wed with paperwork and was offered 9am appointment the following day.

I specifically asked about the Q code online  eLearing video.

Advised that would not be required. 

very quick smooth process.

My 2 year license was expired by 3 months. 

Cost: 505baht. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, kinyara said:

A couple of questions :

1) For a 5 year renewal what is the current cost of doing it yourself vs what agents are currently charging ?   

2) Does the Jomtien Immigration office charge for the Residence Certificate and do you get it same day as application ?

Thanks.

The cost will just be the price of the licence or licences you need issued by the DLT, around 250 Baht each, I think (the agent paid for them in my case), there's no fee for applying for a licence. You'll have to sort out the medical certificate and residence certificate(s) yourself, but they aren't expensive. I try to avoid the Soi 5 Immigration office these days so I'm happy to let the agent do those things for me for 500 Baht. As to the agent's fee, you'll have to ask a few as I doubt if it's a standard price. And apparently they're getting quite hard-nosed in Soi 5 about you having a valid TM30 these days, something I've never done myself in 20 years. The agent claimed that they won't issue a residence certificate without a TM30, but again it's just more tedious Thai bureaucracy and paperwork that I'd sooner a local took care of for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gaccha said:

In general, you can renew 6 months before expiry and up to one year after, without incident. After one year, there are annoying extra documents/tests required.

IMG20230609145003.thumb.jpg.3c9237d3839e186edd2de0daa43c41d9.thumb.jpg.44ff45ae40a1e2b85a794bb13d396b86.jpg

I renewed after three years expire in Pattaya.

No problem because of the corona 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1