State Railway Thailand probes runaway train locomotive crash

webfact

"The locomotive was badly and entirely damaged in the crash."

In that order, presumably !

Yep....that loco ain't goin' anywhere.....completely r**ted!!

They will repair it,they repair anything. My car ( market worth 180,000 Baht) was smashed up,estimated repair cost over 200,000 Baht,i told the insurance of the man who caused the accident that i would prefer it if they gave me 180,000 Baht,it would save them money as well. No we can't do that we have to repair it (220,000 Baht final bill) It looked like new when they had finished but i still cannot understand the logic to this day.

70 million baht for that old rusty heap of crap? 1.5 million quid? Somebody took a good graft on that one! giggle.gif

It probably wasn't an old rusty heap of crap when it was purchased several years ago. You're selective reading ability never ceases to amaze.

As your selective deafness in posting tripe to thoughts bemuses me.... I wonder if you can hear the cost of purchase at 70 million Baht. Now, do you think that was: 1) 20 several years ago, 2) 10 several years ago, or 3) 5 several years ago?

Or if you think it was a long long time ago, above 30 several years ago.... do you warrant 70 million baht for the price?

For 70 million baht, was it maintained? If the mechanic was testing brakes, do you also warrant that he was well advised to leave the engine running, when not in the cock-pit? I believe your arrogance of selective reading abounds not only to me as a poster, but to many others. Now, I wonder. Marlow? Are you an Essex boy?

• Like 2

The brakes failed....that is the usual answer.

Same thing near every time--brakes---translated to English is BRAINS. Someones Brain failed , rarely the brakes.

Except this time. I know reading and understanding the report is not easy for some but the reason the mechanic was inspecting this train before the incident was because of brake failure.

What was it you said about my reading ability? He left the engine running whilst inspecting the brakes. Are you really as acute as you make out to be?

In Thailand it seems even the trains try to flee the scene.

This never happened with Thomas the Tank Engine.

You are joking, aren't you?

"Percy runs away" - a very similar incident.

If you've got the time on your hands, you might want to trawl through the news for the last year or so to see the very similar incident in Canada that ended in slightly less laughable circumstances. Saved you the effort:

https://www.google.com.my/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CCcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F2013%2F07%2F08%2Fworld%2Famericas%2Fcanada-runaway-train%2F&ei=LaVHU9mQGsitrAfGpYDQBA&usg=AFQjCNG37Xwc12JQmrvr07BqKmGntvjXbg&sig2=oX-qg0MAG8-8rG07FsvKjQ&bvm=bv.64542518,d.bmk

First hit on a search "runaway train canada 2013"

Oh dear. Was it all Percy's fault or was it because of a slope? wai2.gif

You mustn't say that, look at all the trouble it got Jeremy Clarkson into!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

as a ''locomotive engineer for 35 years back home,i can coment with knowledge,we have reverse neutral and forward ,we have a switch called the''generator field'' which ,in ''law''must be off when the loco is unocupied,meaning noone at the control stand.....human error.....i would think.....nothing like a good old fashioned ''runaway''....yeeehaaa

Surely being able to read English was a requirement to be a train driver even then? The train was being examined by a mechanic because of it's brake failure problem before the crash.

'kin hell ... wot you on ... touchy aren't you. Of course he should have put a brick in front of the wheels whistling.gif

you forgot to write innit.

• Like 2

as a ''locomotive engineer for 35 years back home,i can coment with knowledge,we have reverse neutral and forward ,we have a switch called the''generator field'' which ,in ''law''must be off when the loco is unocupied,meaning noone at the control stand.....human error.....i would think.....nothing like a good old fashioned ''runaway''....yeeehaaa

Surely being able to read English was a requirement to be a train driver even then? The train was being examined by a mechanic because of it's brake failure problem before the crash.

'kin hell ... wot you on ... touchy aren't you. Of course he should have put a brick in front of the wheels whistling.gif

you forgot to write innit.

Now that's funny! clap2.gifcheesy.gif ......... Bob Marlow forgot his guitar today. thumbsup.gif

In Thailand it seems even the trains try to flee the scene.

This never happened with Thomas the Tank Engine.

You are joking, aren't you?

"Percy runs away" - a very similar incident.

If you've got the time on your hands, you might want to trawl through the news for the last year or so to see the very similar incident in Canada that ended in slightly less laughable circumstances. Saved you the effort:

https://www.google.com.my/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CCcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F2013%2F07%2F08%2Fworld%2Famericas%2Fcanada-runaway-train%2F&ei=LaVHU9mQGsitrAfGpYDQBA&usg=AFQjCNG37Xwc12JQmrvr07BqKmGntvjXbg&sig2=oX-qg0MAG8-8rG07FsvKjQ&bvm=bv.64542518,d.bmk

First hit on a search "runaway train canada 2013"

Oh dear. Was it all Percy's fault or was it because of a slope? wai2.gif

Slopey shoulders.

Just kidding. It's certainly a relief that we can laugh about a mishap such as this.

Sometimes, as the Canadians will tell you, it's less laughable

SC

Jesus what a bloody boring post, normal day land of smiles.

I'm surprised that you comment on your own posts. If I was to do so, I would use words like 'erudite' or 'witty' or 'aposite'.

Still, never one to be entirely off-topic, except when the topic merits it, the Scousers might have some sympathy

Accidents happen, now and again, sometimes just by chance...

But if you don't concentrate and think what you're doing, you might end up not doing what you're thinking

SC

• Like 1

Jesus what a bloody boring post, normal day land of smiles.

Not really.

It didn't go off a ravine with 20 kindergarteners in it while they were sitting on live crocodiles so their teachers could post the pics on facebook.

You see how all things even themselves out in the end? If the track wasn't so crap the engine may not have derailed on the bend and could have gone on to cause far worse damage, and potentially death. Chalk one up for the negligence of the SRT!

Edited by 15Peter20

You see how all things even themselves out in the end? If the track wasn't so crap the engine may not have derailed on the bend and could have gone on to cause far worse damage, and potentially death. Chalk one up for the negligence of the SRT!

What makes you think the track was sub-standard? Every section of track has a nominal speed limit, and if a train exceeds that by a significant margin then there is a risk of derailment. No-one suggested there were defects in the track at Santiago de Compostela - if you are not an SRT track patrolman, why would you believe that there were track defects in this case?

SC

• Like 1