A splashing good time

Lite Beer

SONGKRAN
A splashing good time
Kitchana Lersakvanitchakul
The Nation

30231354-01_big.gif?1397255968558

BANGKOK: -- Celebrate the Thai New Year at any of the Songkran parties being held nationwide

With tourists staying away from Bangkok because of the political crisis and local residents preferring to stay at home rather than spend their hard-earned cash, pollsters are predicting a quieter Songkran than in previous years.

However, for those in a party mood, there is plenty of fun waiting in various corners of the capital and elsewhere, with Abac Poll's latest survey indicating that Khao San Road remains the favourite for a splashing good time.

Silom Road is another popular venue among revellers and this year Songkran events are also being organised at the Bang Khun Phrom intersection and under Rama VIII Bridge, in Bang Lamphu at Suan Santi Chaiprakarn, Phra Athit Road and at Lan Khon Mueang in front of Bangkok Metropolitan Administration. All run from tomorrow through Tuesday.

Of course, not all urbanites want to take part in water fights, preferring instead to start a new Thai year by making merit at nine of Bangkok's temples, each of which is said to have a particular auspicious meaning. They are Wat Suthat for good vision, Wat Chanasongkram for victory over difficult obstacles, Wat Arun for a prosperous life, Wat Pho for a happier and more peaceful life, Wat Kanlayamitr for safe trips, Wat Phra Kaew for wealth and rich rewards, Wat Saket for health and Wat Boworn Niwet for a glorious life.

Entertainment company RS Public is playing down the revelry this year, foregoing concerts and encouraging its stars engage in community outreach. The company is participating in the "Seven Dangerous Days" campaign of the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department's Road Safety Operation Centre in the hope that this year's Songkran will see a drop in traffic accidents and deaths on the road.

"The death toll increases every year and it's always down to driving after drinking," says singer Baowee R Siam. "Too many people are affected by the carelessness and thoughtlessness of the few."

Lulu and Lala R Siam agree, adding that perhaps Thais would better to revert to traditions of the past.

"On Songkran Day, we should give more importance to our parents and other older people while still having fun with water," Lulu says.

With so many city residents returning to their hometowns for the holidays, it'll be crowded in other parts of the country, where the revelry can continue for as long as a week.

In the North, Si Satchanalai in Sukhothai province is organising "Song Nam Oi Tan" with beauty contests, a parade and cultural activities, while Chiang Mai boasts "Prapeni Pi Mai Mueang" with a parade and pouring of water on the prominent Buddha statue Phra Phuttha Sihing.

Closer to Bangkok, revellers in Chon Buri's Bang Saen can enjoy sand sculpture contests on Wednesday and Thursday while Songkran in Pattaya promises to be as wet and wild as ever from today through April 20 with a range of activities on the beaches and at Lan Bodhi Park Na Kluea.

In Ayutthaya, elephants will be manoeuvring their trunks in front of the TAT office from tomorrow until Tuesday to give punters a good squirt.

Songkran in Sangkhla Buri and Kanchanaburi is celebrated in traditional Mon style at Wat Wangwiwekaram from tomorrow until Friday and similar events are being held in Phra Pradaeng district of Samut Prakan next weekend.

Suphan Buri folk celebrate with beauty contests and concerts in front of the main station today through Monday.

In the Northeast, Nakhon Phanom hosts the "Pleasant Songkran, Thai-Lao New Year" event to showcase the cultures of seven different ethnic groups in the province from today through Tuesday while Nong Khai celebrates by inviting locals and visitors to pour water on the highly revered Buddha image, Luang Por Phra Sai, and party on the Thailand-Laos Friendship Bridge,

Khao Nieo Road in Khon Kaen hosts traditional ceremonies and merit-making until Wednesday and Udon Thani is holding the "Chang Wonder Water Land @ UD Town" from today until Thursday, featuring the biggest water tunnel in Isaan, a spinning show by 50 DJs, performance "The Colour of Splash" that also celebrates of the province's 121st anniversary and a flash mob.

In the South, Nakhon Si Thammarat goes for the cultural with a Songkran "Nang Dan" parade, an invitation to pay homage to Phra Maha That Chadi Nakhon Si Thammarat and purify the Phra Buddha Sihing at Suan Si Thammasokarat and Hor Phra Shiva from today to Tuesday.

Patong Beach in Phuket takes Songkran to the beach today and tomorrow and Hat Yai goes for the unique with "Midnight Songkran" events at Nipat Uthit 3 Road, Sanehanusorn Road and Wat Mahatta until Wednesday. Koh Samui isn't far behind, with celebrations being held on Chaweng Beach tomorrow.

As always, revellers are requested to follow Songkran traditions, which include splashing only clean water - no ice or other ingredients - over each other, not getting violent with their water guns and avoiding close-fitting clothes in light colours and spaghetti-strap tops.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-12

• Like 1

As always, revellers are requested to follow Songkran traditions, which include splashing only clean water - no ice or other ingredients - over each other, not getting violent with their water guns and avoiding close-fitting clothes in light colours and spaghetti-strap tops.

how about respect for other people?

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

May it be over soon...

Well what do ya know May comes after April so first April will need to be over before May or am I missing something?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Piss off, I'm a Hater...

To all the Haters on TV Happy SongKran may you all drown by happiness and love of the water splash

• Like 2

May it be over soon...

Well what do ya know May comes after April so first April will need to be over before May or am I missing something?

Yes...something that the rest of us have between our ears.

No Thais splashed me, but I did have an idiot tourist run up from behind and spray me with chili water. (My eyes are still burning.) I called him a retard, to which he looked at me and replied, oh yea baby.

Earlier today, I saw one of those middle aged farangs with his bar girl offspring across from Market Village. He doused one of the nurses on her way to the hospital, and was trying to get a farang who gave him the finger. I thought for sure the splasher would be needing the services of the nurse he had just soaked.He was just plain rude.

The idiots are driving up and down the main drag here in Hua Hin with barrels of water splashing people . It was amazing watching them throw it at the motorbikes. I keep hoping some of these people will fall out of the trucks and splatter themselves or get run over as traffic is still moving at 20-50kmh.

Ok, so I'm not a fan. Songkran is just an excuse for some people to act like violent savages. If I didn't have to be here this year, I'd have left. I'm just grateful it is supposed to end tonight in Hua Hin.

Wonder what it would cost to rent an elephant for a day? That could be fun.

elephant_1615302i.jpg

1000 Baht at rent-a-phant.

I found I got a better deal at Nellies R Us. A full 24 hours incl. unlimited mileage and a full bag off bananas.

May it be over soon...

No you got it rite.

No Thais splashed me, but I did have an idiot tourist run up from behind and spray me with chili water. (My eyes are still burning.) I called him a retard, to which he looked at me and replied, oh yea baby.

Earlier today, I saw one of those middle aged farangs with his bar girl offspring across from Market Village. He doused one of the nurses on her way to the hospital, and was trying to get a farang who gave him the finger. I thought for sure the splasher would be needing the services of the nurse he had just soaked.He was just plain rude.

The idiots are driving up and down the main drag here in Hua Hin with barrels of water splashing people . It was amazing watching them throw it at the motorbikes. I keep hoping some of these people will fall out of the trucks and splatter themselves or get run over as traffic is still moving at 20-50kmh.

Ok, so I'm not a fan. Songkran is just an excuse for some people to act like violent savages. If I didn't have to be here this year, I'd have left. I'm just grateful it is supposed to end tonight in Hua Hin.

Nothing holding you back but fear and the law of gravity.

How did you know it was his girlfriends offspring and not his wife's?

othing holding you back but fear and the law of gravity.

How did you know it was his girlfriends offspring and not his wife's?

Well the guy was rather short, looked like he was low end and the kids appeared to be 1/2 foreign. Maybe they were some other customer's progeny. Dunno. Don't care. Sadly, they did not appear to be having much fun as the adult farangs were hogging the water barrel and getting a bit aggressive. The kids were sort of getting shoved out of the fun. It was a bit of a shame as the festival for should be for the kids and not yobs. I have no issue with the kids. it's the loser adult farangs that annoy me, which is why I am sitting here doing office work and taking a break on tvf.

• Like 1