PM misses Prem meeting

Lite Beer

This was a direct snub and a message to both Prem and to the Monarchy he represents . . . nothing more, nothing less.

One day you red supporters will realize just how anti-Monarchy Thaksin and his ilk actually are.

I think it's a direct insult towards someone who has far too much influence in Thai politics when actually as president of the privy council being involved in politics should be the absolute last thing on his mind

• Like 1

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many times in a year do you expect a sitting PM to run over to the unelected former military ruler's house to show deference?

She has neither the legal, nor moral obligation to go and pay homage to the man who has not been Thailand's biggest supporter of democratically elected governments.

Some say Yingluck is a divisive factor. I offer that the retired General Prem is more of a divisive factor because he brings back memories of the suspension of civil liberties, military dictatorships, death and violence.

Ummmmm..... excuse me, but if you really understood Thailand, your comments are a breach of Lèse majesté!

You and I both know that Yingluck was not Democratically elected. She got the minority of the votes. In a Democracy you need the majority of the votes. The fact is if it hadn't been for the fact that a lot of the voters didn't want her and correctly guessed that they would get Thaksin she would have got a lot less votes.

?

It was not a social call it was a call out of respect. Some thing you wouldn't understand.

Not democratically elected - am I missing something here - has northernjohn come up with some new method of forming a government in Thailand where unless a political party gets 51% of the vote they do not get the right to form a government?

Do you really mean that?

In my book respect is earnt, not a given because of birth or connection.

Do you respect Yingluck Shinawatra then because she certainly got the position of PM because of her birth and family connection?

It certainly wasn't for her political skills, that's for sure.

Do you realise how absurd you sound. She was elected but is apparently not deserving of any respect, but a bloke who has been appointed to every position he has ever held, is deserving of blind respect.

Winning elections is apprently contemptible but being appointed means you can demand respect. Its like being in some parallel reality of logic in here sometimes.

Being elected to a post does not, by itself, have much to do with respect. Same goes for being appointed to a post.

People can show respect for a holder of a post, or rather, to what the post represents - whether elected or not is another issue.

Real respect got more to do with one's character and actions.

Edited by Morch

You and I both know that Yingluck was not Democratically elected. She got the minority of the votes. In a Democracy you need the majority of the votes. The fact is if it hadn't been for the fact that a lot of the voters didn't want her and correctly guessed that they would get Thaksin she would have got a lot less votes.

?

It was not a social call it was a call out of respect. Some thing you wouldn't understand.

Not democratically elected - am I missing something here - has northernjohn come up with some new method of forming a government in Thailand where unless a political party gets 51% of the vote they do not get the right to form a government?

Do you really mean that?

In my book respect is earnt, not a given because of birth or connection.

Do you respect Yingluck Shinawatra then because she certainly got the position of PM because of her birth and family connection?

It certainly wasn't for her political skills, that's for sure.

Do you realise how absurd you sound. She was elected but is apparently not deserving of any respect, but a bloke who has been appointed to every position he has ever held, is deserving of blind respect.

Winning elections is apprently contemptible but being appointed means you can demand respect. Its like being in some parallel reality of logic in here sometimes.

Being elected to a post does not, by itself, have much to do with respect. Same goes for being appointed to a post.

People can show respect for a holder of a post, or rather, to what the post represents - whether elected or not is another issue.

Real respect got more to do with one's character and actions.

Well as PM, whether you really like it or not she got the position. You can choose to respect her, but the position is deserving.

However, being appointed particularly to this type of position should not automatically generate the reverence that some people seem to think it should.

Winning an election doesn't affirm any measure of competence. What of an appointment?

Same goes for appointment. First line in my post.

You can respect the post of PM, or the post of Privy Council President (I'm pretty sure that's not a good translation, btw).

Whether you respect the person holding the position is a different matter.

Being elected or appointed is not always a good measure of competence.

It does seem a somewhat strange "tradition" - I could understand visit HM, or even the military honouring their oldest ex-commander, but it is too much to expect a PM (even a caretaker one - she is still the executive leader of the country) to show such weakness especially given the current environment. I'm certainly no fan of the PM, or the PTP, but I think she made the right decision here - quietly sending an underling and staying away.

If she attended then all the yellow shirt/Suthep supporters would be complaining that she has the military in her pocket and why wasn't she at the NAAC instead of being in the limelight.

will tell you again there are no yellow shirts if your going to post do it right.ok.chooks......

• Like 1

How many times in a year do you expect a sitting PM to run over to the unelected former military ruler's house to show deference?

She has neither the legal, nor moral obligation to go and pay homage to the man who has not been Thailand's biggest supporter of democratically elected governments.

Some say Yingluck is a divisive factor. I offer that the retired General Prem is more of a divisive factor because he brings back memories of the suspension of civil liberties, military dictatorships, death and violence.

Ummmmm..... excuse me, but if you really understood Thailand, your comments are a breach of Lèse majesté!

Les M..., your joking aren’t you?

Prems the one that messed up the whole country by instigating the coup in 2006 which created the mess that followed. he is getting old now, it cant be a great feeling, ruining a legacy, knowing you made poor decision made that set the nation back about 20 years.

Who was the coup ousting, and why ???? I have an Idea you know, if not why post this.

Prems the one that messed up the whole country by instigating the coup in 2006 which created the mess that followed. he is getting old now, it cant be a great feeling, ruining a legacy, knowing you made poor decision made that set the nation back about 20 years.

Not sure that Prem "instigated" it, he may have been the main actor, but I will let that one rest.

Not sure that Prem "instigated" it, he may have been the main actor, but I will let that one rest.

Agree, The Shins were around at that time remember--there is your answer- moonao's half a story.

One wonders how she can blatantly alienate herself in such a way.

Okay, she doesn't particularly want to meet with Prem, but it's a gesture that would have shown she still holds on to the reins, whereas her refusal to attend sends out a signal that she has already capitulated.

The "prime minister" is traditionally also supposed to express some unity by coming out to meet the public during Songkran. One wonders why she is going to hide away in Chiang Mai instead; perhaps the writing is on the wall and she is going to cross over the border before taking her flight out to Dubai.

One can only hope...!!

Lest you forget. Chiang Mai has spoken out that YL is welcome there and they will protect her there. My guess she is there not to hide away but to establish what and where she will run her part of the country once she is booted from politics here.

I don't believe I have ever seen her go North and not vie for more supporters or to strengthen her stronghold. Even when she was only saying she was going to go home to visit family.

• Like 2

"It is good to see all three of the Armed Forces' commanders and police chief come to me every year. This shows we all have friendship and I have the Armed Forces as good friends,"

Lord, what away to run a business!

Thailand is too fixated on ritual. Remember the USSR? Western intelligence services (an oxymoron?) used to have to wait for the annual weapons parade to then analyze photos and see who was in favor and who was off (or at the fringes of) the podium. Similar now to N.Korea and China, where, in a typical Asian way, we don't get plain talk, but instead have to read the tea leaves to gauge who's in, and who's out of favor with the power brokers.

Though I have no love for the Shinawatres, I do respect how Ms Yingluck didn't automatically/mechanically kowtow - by presenting pink flowers to Prem. I acknowledge ritual is needed in Thailand, particularly in such a stratified, superstitious society, but as with anything, ritual can be overdone. What's needed is straight talk and more egalitarianism. But that won't happen. The rich will keep getting richer, and the peons will keep getting poorer, but at least the little people can throw buckets of water at each other for a week each year. Whoopee!

How much do those generals and admirals and all those hundreds of hangers-ons (at Prem's ritual) garner in cumulative salary each day? All those tax-paid salaries were paid, so they could kneel and wai at Prem.

"How much do those generals and admirals and all those hundreds of hangers-ons (at Prem's ritual) garner in cumulative salary each day? All those tax-paid salaries were paid, so they could kneel and wai at Prem"

His home is also owned by the taxpayer, btw.

"It is good to see all three of the Armed Forces' commanders and police chief come to me every year. This shows we all have friendship and I have the Armed Forces as good friends,"

Lord, what away to run a business!

Thailand is too fixated on ritual. Remember the USSR? Western intelligence services (an oxymoron?) used to have to wait for the annual weapons parade to then analyze photos and see who was in favor and who was off (or at the fringes of) the podium. Similar now to N.Korea and China, where, in a typical Asian way, we don't get plain talk, but instead have to read the tea leaves to gauge who's in, and who's out of favor with the power brokers.

Though I have no love for the Shinawatres, I do respect how Ms Yingluck didn't automatically/mechanically kowtow - by presenting pink flowers to Prem. I acknowledge ritual is needed in Thailand, particularly in such a stratified, superstitious society, but as with anything, ritual can be overdone. What's needed is straight talk and more egalitarianism. But that won't happen. The rich will keep getting richer, and the peons will keep getting poorer, but at least the little people can throw buckets of water at each other for a week each year. Whoopee!

How much do those generals and admirals and all those hundreds of hangers-ons (at Prem's ritual) garner in cumulative salary each day? All those tax-paid salaries were paid, so they could kneel and wai at Prem.

"How much do those generals and admirals and all those hundreds of hangers-ons (at Prem's ritual) garner in cumulative salary each day? All those tax-paid salaries were paid, so they could kneel and wai at Prem"

His home is also owned by the taxpayer, btw.

I doubt it, btw.

You can bet your life savings on Prem not instigating the 2006 Clayton's coup - but as you said - say no more.

If she attended then all the yellow shirt/Suthep supporters would be complaining that she has the military in her pocket and why wasn't she at the NAAC instead of being in the limelight.

will tell you again there are no yellow shirts if your going to post do it right.ok.chooks......

Fair enough, No Yellow shirts and no Red Shirts just Thais.

Annother PAD-Dem take on things, in part meant to denigrate the Prime Minister - a non-PAD-DEM....And I see it worked.

The very first line of the very first post/comment as follows:

>>>>>>One wonders how she can blatantly alienate herself in such a way.

>>>>>The Armed Forces would have power over those who have bad plans to hurt our nation," Prem said.

I wonder who he might be refrring to?...Could it be Suthep and his people trying to eradicate Democracy and replace it with a Civilian dictatorship?.........What do you think?.......

>>>>>>The caretaker prime minister faces many political and legal challenges because of the prolonged anti-government protests concentrated in Bangkok

Time for corrections...again....Tthey are not prolonged anti-govt. protests....They are prolonged coup-advocacy activities...nothing to do with protesting or anti-govt.

>>>>>> Prayuth said he hoped the political situation would get better after the traditional Songkran events,

Hoping that everyone will commit to Electoral and Parliamentary Democracy?....Is that what he is hoping for?...What do you think?

The view of UDD/RS's pro-democracy elements are that Prem was a significant figure behind the 2006 coup....Agree or not, that is what they think. So aggrandizing Prem not only falls on deaf ears, it in fact annoys them. It is their view that the decade-long political crisis owes much to Prem's interference and machinations:

Just the other side of the political divide folks.

You should spend more time analysing the prophesies of Nostradamus

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Perhaps you should educate yourself on Prems "career" to date before coming out with such an asinine comment.

Did Fab4 feelings get hurt when his source of information was discovered?cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

As usual you insist on living in the past and not even looking at the present.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

She was NOT elected, appointed as P.M. 1 month after the election. Will you people read and listen. F B, have a nice Songkran ---rest your fingerscoffee1.gif

Somebody should put this poor dude out of his misery. Yes, she was appointed (after, as Leader of Pheu Thai, campaigning in the general election)...it was the right and proper thing for the Parliament to "approve" her status as PM. She got something like 300 votes and something like 200 votes against (Abhiisit and his mob).

Why worry your poor head about this. No British PM is ever elected by the people, but only by the party he or she is the leader of.

In America it is much worse: Not a single one of any president's cabinet is ever elected, and yet these people are exercising immense power in their various portfolios.

Now go to sleep and dream about a better way to disgrace the present PM of Thailand. (Unless your hostility is totally mindless, you would have to concede that her election victory was only the second time in Thai history that any party won an outright majority, for which she deserves some credit. Well, she would get the credit in most countries.)

I frankly do not believe (just MHO) that the poster has any great attachment to democratic rights, given the general tone of his posts here.

Whats with you??? your mate said she was elected--and referring to the general election.

I do not worry in the slightest, you pro gov posters have more worries trying to keep your end up.

I do not have to disgrace the PM or the PTP they are self destructing themselves, I point out the wrongs over the 3 years as I have said before.

If the dems were their and their record was the same I would have the same stance, I certainly would NOT defend anyone that does wrong.

If you are happy doing it -up to you but it will catch up with you eventually as it is with the PTP.

Believe me what hostility have I got---oh sorry I spoke some truths about corruption etc. SORRY---Blazes--go to.

I do not need U.S. or U.K. history thanks. and will she be again thrown out as in the last Thaksin governments--I wonder why ???

I point out the wrongs over the 3 years

You've just scratched the surface my friend.

There'll be at least another 20 years of Thaksin allied rule in this land.

Another two decades wallowing in your own bigotry and prejudice.

Enjoy.

She was NOT elected, appointed as P.M. 1 month after the election. Will you people read and listen. F B, have a nice Songkran ---rest your fingerscoffee1.gif

Somebody should put this poor dude out of his misery. Yes, she was appointed (after, as Leader of Pheu Thai, campaigning in the general election)...it was the right and proper thing for the Parliament to "approve" her status as PM. She got something like 300 votes and something like 200 votes against (Abhiisit and his mob).

Why worry your poor head about this. No British PM is ever elected by the people, but only by the party he or she is the leader of.

In America it is much worse: Not a single one of any president's cabinet is ever elected, and yet these people are exercising immense power in their various portfolios.

Now go to sleep and dream about a better way to disgrace the present PM of Thailand. (Unless your hostility is totally mindless, you would have to concede that her election victory was only the second time in Thai history that any party won an outright majority, for which she deserves some credit. Well, she would get the credit in most countries.)

I frankly do not believe (just MHO) that the poster has any great attachment to democratic rights, given the general tone of his posts here.

Whats with you??? your mate said she was elected--and referring to the general election.

I do not worry in the slightest, you pro gov posters have more worries trying to keep your end up.

I do not have to disgrace the PM or the PTP they are self destructing themselves, I point out the wrongs over the 3 years as I have said before.

If the dems were their and their record was the same I would have the same stance, I certainly would NOT defend anyone that does wrong.

If you are happy doing it -up to you but it will catch up with you eventually as it is with the PTP.

Believe me what hostility have I got---oh sorry I spoke some truths about corruption etc. SORRY---Blazes--go to.

I do not need U.S. or U.K. history thanks. and will she be again thrown out as in the last Thaksin governments--I wonder why ???

Enjoy.

Another bright red poster, and thanks for the heartwarming thought of another 2 decades to look forward to to Thaksin rule--at 73 it would be nice.

you are as bad as the government if you condone what they have done in 3 years in Thailand. All I would love to see is a decent set of people running this country.

• Like 1

Enjoy.

Now you have me confused you have often claimed Yingluck was elected.

Now you say there will be another 20 years of Thaksin.

Do you not realize that if the election had Thaksin , Yingluck and Abhist on it Abhist would have been the new PM.

You really should keep up Thaksin was on the television begging people to forgive and forget. I wonder if he thinks the 1,500 innocent people he had murdered in his lost war on drugs are going to forgive him or their relatives who received no compensation such as his hired coup attempting red shirts families did for their fallen dummy's?

In essence he was not calling on forgiveness for the Democrats mistakes he was asking the population to forget what he and his PTP red shirts have done to the nation. If you can't forget then forgive them even though they are still out to bleed the country dry and create violence.

Before he asks for forgiveness he should stop doing it to the country.wai.gif

Hmmm...Her not going to see Prem for Merit making at Songkran is turning her back on something much bigger. Who does she think she is?

I think her position has gone to her head wai2.gif

She was the legally elected PM of Thailand who was sabotaged by the machinations of the former ruling oligarchy. She has sent a not so subtle message that she will not be bullied by the military and that she owes nothing to the unelected Prem, who was previously the military dictator of Thailand. If you wish her to embrace a group who have no respect for civilian governments, that is your totalitarian aligned opinion. Does your PM run over to the Chief Privy Councillor's home at new year's to bow before him and show deference? Why then would you expect the PM of Thailand to do so?

Congratulations you have taken a step towards reality. You no longer claim Democratically.clap2.gif You now realizer that she was Legally elected.

Like my old criminology instructor said legal is not the same as justice.

Yingluck and the PTP are living proof of that.

Not that legal means much to them if it is inconvenient to them they ignore it.sad.png

Once again congratulations.

Wonderful to see the unity garnered and respect given for the privy council.

It is shame that yingluck chose, in her capacity as defense minister, to isolate herself from this respect and unity that is being shown and is a template of what the majority should also do.

This is another example of how yingluck leads by example. Contempt for the courts and now contempt for this institution. With the contempt for the majority included one can see why she only garners 20% of the populations vote now going by the last election projection.