Farmers may be paid after Songkran

Lite Beer

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I can't believe that the farmers haven't shut down the country yet

Their tractor caravan got as far as Ayudhya but their leaders called off the rest of the trip to Bangkok because they were promised payment if they went home

So much for promises from this government

I don't understand that either. I think someone got to the leaders with a "if you know what's good for you" message as there has not been another word from any of them.

(Reuters) - Thai farmers, angry at not being paid under a rice subsidy scheme, called off a protest tractor drive to Bangkok's main airport on Friday after an assurance they would get their money, some welcome news for Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

Former member of parliament Chada Thaiseth, speaking for the farmers gathered in Ayutthaya province, said they had been assured of payment.

"The government will make payment next week. The farmers will head back now and will see whether the government will pay as promised," he told Reuters. "If it isn't delivered, we will return."

And they haven't been paid, and there is no substantive real actions to make the payments today.

And they haven't returned.

Something is clearly blocking their return to protesting.

Question: Is there some form of intimidation in play?

Perhaps. Personally I put it down to simple blind stupidity and continuing to believe the lies of the people/the party who have consistently done nothing BUT lie to them . . . yet they still believe . . . bizarre.

Well you could be right. I watched the twenty nine minute VICE news video on youtube referenced in another thread. The reporter went to Chiang Mai and asked two farmers if they had been paid for their rice. They both answered no. One farmer said he didn't have money to continue. Then she asked if they would vote for Yingluck again. They said yes because Thaksin helps the farmers.

Go figure.

• Like 1

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO if it were left up to Yingluck all the farmers would have been paid promptly as they have been for previous crops. She made a tactical error by dissolving the government BEFORE she had made arrangements to earmark and acquire these funds. I think she underestimated Suthep and did not think he would block the acquisition of these kind of funds.

Forgive my ignorance but, at the time that she dissolved parliament there were already hundreds of thousands farmers countrywide that hadn't been paid for months, some even for almost a year.

So your statement of been paid promptly for previous crops doesn't really apply.

prompt·ly
ˈprämptlē/
adverb
adverb: promptly
  1. 1.
    with little or no delay; immediately.
    "he paid the fine promptly"
    synonyms: punctually, on time; More
    informalbang on, on the button, on the dot, on the nose
    "William arrived promptly at 7:30"
    without delay, straightaway, right away, at once, immediately, now, as soon as possible;
    quickly, swiftly, rapidly, speedily, fast, expeditiously, momentarily;
    informalpronto, ASAP, pretty damn quick, PDQ
    "I expect the matter to be dealt with promptly"
    antonyms: late, slowly

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Their tractor caravan got as far as Ayudhya but their leaders called off the rest of the trip to Bangkok because they were promised payment if they went home

I don't understand that either. I think someone got to the leaders with a "if you know what's good for you" message as there has not been another word from any of them.

(Reuters) - Thai farmers, angry at not being paid under a rice subsidy scheme, called off a protest tractor drive to Bangkok's main airport on Friday after an assurance they would get their money, some welcome news for Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

Former member of parliament Chada Thaiseth, speaking for the farmers gathered in Ayutthaya province, said they had been assured of payment.

"The government will make payment next week. The farmers will head back now and will see whether the government will pay as promised," he told Reuters. "If it isn't delivered, we will return."

And they haven't been paid, and there is no substantive real actions to make the payments today.

Perhaps. Personally I put it down to simple blind stupidity and continuing to believe the lies of the people/the party who have consistently done nothing BUT lie to them . . . yet they still believe . . . bizarre.

I have on occasion been been presented with the "I'm Thai, I can do what I want" attitude.

It works on me, because I'm not Thai and I've got used to it, I just shrug my shoulders and forget about it, safe in the knowledge that eventually the Thai person saying that will try it out on another Thai.

Then the problems start.

Their problems.

Introspection should be part of the educational curriculum.

How can a society function when they are not told that they have to work hard to get what they want/need, but are told that they are already superior from birth.

Many farmers have already been paid. My wife sold her rice in late October and when she brought her receipts to the bank she was 995 in the queue to be paid. That queue has been slowly going down and just last week she was 500. That would mean in our area (near Phetchabun) around half of the farmers have already been paid.

IMO if it were left up to Yingluck all the farmers would have been paid promptly as they have been for previous crops. She made a tactical error by dissolving the government BEFORE she had made arrangements to earmark and acquire these funds. I think she underestimated Suthep and did not think he would block the acquisition of these kind of funds.

The blame for the farmers not receiving prompt payment lies squarely on Suthep, not Yinkluck. Suthep is using this as a lever against Yingluck and apparently really doesn't care anything for the plight of the farmers. Of course I could have told you that years ago.

Congratulations to the 50% of farmers near Phetchabun that have been paid, has hard working country people you've deserved it.

Bill, can you please ask your wife when she expects to get paid for the crop she 'sold' last October (and I'm sorry to add this bit - before Suthep started playing silly bu*gers). I hope your wife gets paid soon.

Farmers may be paid after Songkran

This headline is wrong. The farmers will definitely be paid after Songkran. The question is: How long after Songkran? Weeks? Months? Years?

Paid after Songkran, but which year in the future?

• Like 2

Many farmers have already been paid. My wife sold her rice in late October and when she brought her receipts to the bank she was 995 in the queue to be paid. That queue has been slowly going down and just last week she was 500. That would mean in our area (near Phetchabun) around half of the farmers have already been paid.

The blame for the farmers not receiving prompt payment lies squarely on Suthep, not Yinkluck. Suthep is using this as a lever against Yingluck and apparently really doesn't care anything for the plight of the farmers. Of course I could have told you that years ago.

Just a guess, logic isn't your strong point is it.

may?!? facepalm.gif Try telling this to your landlord after he filed for eviction. I'm sorry - people's financial future is at stake here. the only news acceptable is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Promises, vague possibilities... What if someone's hopes are up and then he kills himself like others have?

This is so cruel and so unprofessional. And the time is not specified - it could technically be March 2015, couldn't it?!?

Whoever is making such statements deserves the sack!

The Thai taxpayers deserve better administrators as well. What kind of nonsense is this guy spouting?!?

Edited by metisdead
Large font reset to normal.

Like others I wonder why the Thai farmers have not taken more action, though I am not that surprised. Thai people don't like confrontation but there again I believe there could well be some substance in the thought the farmer's leaders have been threatened in some way. I do not know of many countries where a similar problem would not cause mayhem.

Saying that like another post some people in our village have just been paid. My wife's family who took their rice in rather late are still waiting in the queue. My wife's sister is number 521 and they are now only paying out for numbers 330. So I think she will have to wait at least one more month most probably a lot longer. Meanwhile they have no money to pay for the land to be prepared for next seasons crop or to buy good rice to put on the land. Not an iminent problem as they have a month or two to do this but if they don't get paid for last years crops then it becomes really serious.

Yet again and again and again. These people are closer to con artists than they are to politicians, however, this is Thailand.

How much you can get away with speaks volumes on the education and intellect of the people.

Billsmart.. your reasoning is faulty.. probably because your redsighted.

Not half the farmers have been paid half the farmers with rice from October have been paid as your wife put in the rice in October.

Its ok logic has never been a red shirts strongest point.

Just a guess, logic isn't your strong point is it.

Its not and below i explained why.. god now I understand what kind of people vote PTP the ones with less then average intelligence. Everyone with half a brain would understand the fault in this logic.

Well, it seems Pheu Thai is going to do a repeat of the recent experiences.

" To prevent a bidding failure, the PDMO has tried to achieve greater understanding among financial institutions of the legal issues involved. They are less concerned [than during the previous, unsuccessful bidding to provide funding]," she said. We hope not to see a repeat of such a situation. "

The " situation " she is referring to is the BAAC loan scandal, that resulted in massive customer bank withdrawals on an unprecedented national scale. She apparently thinks that a " greater understanding " now prevails, and that as as result she " hopes " that that won't happen again.

Same tune. But this time - with feeling.

I-3rd that absolute BS and spin, hope the farmers don't hold their breath...............bah.gifwhistling.gif

They may have to hold their breath, the BS must be just about up to their ears by now.

She said the likely forms of borrowing were term loans, financial negotiable notes and promissory notes.

In other words, we are not finished running this country's finances into the gutter, we will replace the debt we owe the farmers with other debt, please do not ask where the money went, the money that was supposed to go to the farmers, we don't discuss that.

FiL and his neighbours are still waiting money. They were told very clearly - prostest against PTP means no payment. Vote against PTP means no payment. It's the elite blocking payment to you. The money is there but they won't let us pay you. YL is fighting to get it for you.

Again and again this bs is driven into them, The only TV they see is Shin media. Thaksin was speaking on TV Thursday night. The program was saying how all the charges against him, his sister and PTP are lies, made up to discredit them. The older people get no other information. So they have to believe this and wait.

I bet the Shin gang have all been paid on time.

Crap. There were delays before the amnesty bill fiasco - and you know it. PTP were gambling on getting their hands on the 2.2 trillion loan and being allowed to spend it without parliamentary checks to cover all the missing billions from the scheme.

YL couldn't pay them. even if she wanted too - her ministers has fcked the cash flow. Lies about G2G deals and sales made matters worse when they turned out to be more lies. Quite frankly, PTP have demonstrated time and again they don't give a monkeys.

This promise may turn out to be another white lie - make them all feel happier at Songkran. After all the Finance Minister says those lies are perfectly acceptable,

"It is certain there will not be a shortfall in government revenue"

Hmmm, I may sound cynical but you don't usual mention a problem if it doesn't exist unless of course there is a chance it does. So, when an official figure says they are certain there will be no shortfall of government revenue and then states that they are trying to speed up the process for collection of taxes, then it sounds like its a very real possibility.

Sounds like a load of BS to me. She mentions the political instability but I think the reality is that the economy is not doing well at all. It is easy to say that Thailand has strong finances in place but global credit agencies don't downgrade a countries credit rating for being in great shape, they do it because they see problems, an erosion in the current status and a higher risk.

There are so many things going wrong right now with sectors in decline such as,, tourist trade, domestic consumption, domestic car sales, rice industry falling over, exports, foreign investment on hold or decline and of course political stability. All of these things will only mean 1 thing, a fall in confidence and a dramatic fall in growth which is exactly what is happening.

I genuinely hope that the Thai people see the back of these morons soon.

• Like 1

not even sure why they are allowed to talk about borrowing money,

where's the freaking money from the program/scheme/heist? coffee1.gif

are we supposed to forget about the First Car subsidy scheme? Surely that will need some borrowing too?

Disgraceful.

And when the unpaid farmers marched on BKK they were turned back by the people who are supposed to represent them, given promises that they would be paid by the end of March.

The utter contempt in which the PTP holds the people who brought them to power is astounding.

• Like 1

There are probably several factors holding the farmers back from further protests

The threats/intimidation of bodily/property harm was mentioned

The brain washing on the red channel, and prior to elections, the weekly television PM or cabinet member bs

The threats of money sanctions from the ptp supporters who buy farm product and sell farm supplies

The blantant lies of ptp people, ''another political party in government will not pay for your rice'', etc

The old loss of face thing probably enters into it also. Never admit you are/were wrong

There were farmers and land owners who were helped by this program (due to their being as corrupt as those who proposed it) and they sing the loudest

Virtually every farm program proposed and implemented by Thaksin during his time in politics has been was rife with corruption, thus expected.

• Like 1