Phuket Police under fire: Chalong Police face cleanup under new station chief

Lite Beer

Phuket Police under fire: Chalong Police face cleanup under new station chief
Phuket Gazette -

1_201441113543635_dAwapyqcidPViDynDoAxgf
Col Sirisak has returned to Chalong to restore discipline. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: Officers of the Chalong Police have found themselves under tight scrutiny from their new chief, the recently reinstated superintendent Col Sirisak Wasasiri, following a blockade of the police station on Monday.

All officers must now provide daily reports of their activities, inform Col Sirisak each time they leave the station on police work and provide the results of their efforts when they return.

“I know the problem stems from poor control of the officers,” Col Sirisak told the Phuket Gazette.

“I have repeatedly reminded them they are to cause no harm to the people they swore an oath to protect. We are to help as fast as we can to bring justice to the people in our community.”

Col Sirisak’s tight grip on officers at Chalong follows the blockade of the police station by an aggrieved family just one week after his return as superintendent. Col Sirisak was reinstated on April 1 after former Chalong Superintendent Krittapas Dazintharasorn was ordered out, pending an investigation into claims that Chalong Police officers were extorting cash from dive operators (story here).

On Monday, Col Sirisak faced the family, which used a minivan and two cars to block the police station, preventing any vehicles from entering or leaving the premises (story here).

Posters accusing officers of “supporting murder” has been plastered on billboards in front of the station which promote the island’s leading police officers with the slogan, “Police for People”.

The protest was staged because of lack of progress by the Chalong Police in apprehending a suspect wanted for a fatal hit-and-run nine months ago in which Surachai Taweesin, 59, was killed.

The family vowed that the blockade would remain in place until the owner of the pickup truck that struck Mr Surachai dead offered cash compensation (story here).

“I want to end the problem, as the vehicle is mine. If possible, I would like to pay the full amount at 1pm on April 12 at Chalong Police Station,” said Moo 1 Chalong Headman Pradit Ongsatiparp.

“The driver was working for me for only two days. I do not have his identification card. I do not know where he is.”

Phuket Provincial Police Deputy Commander Pinit Sirichai, who met with the family to negotiate on Monday, said that Chalong officers have been ordered to conclude the case as soon as possible and send a report to him within one month.

Following Col Pinit’s order, Col Sirisak assured that closing cases would take a higher priority than it had before his return.

“If an officer cannot close a case quickly, I will assign more officers to assist,” he said.

“If cases are closed quickly, people will be satisfied with our work and I think there will be no more problems from people claiming that the police shirk their responsibility.”

Additional reporting by Woranut Pechdee

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-Police-fire-Chalong-Police-face-cleanup/29115

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-04-12

>>“I know the problem stems from poor control of the officers,” Col Sirisak told the Phuket Gazette.

Really? Why is there poor control of the officers?

>>Following Col Pinit’s order, Col Sirisak assured that closing cases would take a higher priority than it had before his return.

Isn't this paramount in doing police work? Solve crimes and close cases.

>>All officers must now provide daily reports of their activities, inform Col Sirisak each time they leave the station on police work and provide the results of their efforts when they return.

Already being done in the form of cash collected at checkpoints and the proof is in the thick stack of bills brought in by the tax collectors policemen.

"The family vowed that the blockade would remain in place until the owner of the pickup truck that struck Mr Surachai dead offered cash compensation"

so nothing to do with justice its about money. surprise surprise

What's wrong with trying to get some financial compensation,

The driver or owner of the vehicle will never go to prison so get what you can from them

All I van say is good for them

Far too many get away with crimes by paying bribes

"The family vowed that the blockade would remain in place until the owner of the pickup truck that struck Mr Surachai dead offered cash compensation"

What's wrong with trying to get some financial compensation,

The driver or owner of the vehicle will never go to prison so get what you can from them

All I van say is good for them

Far too many get away with crimes by paying bribes

You do of course realise how large a contradiction you have just made.

• Like 2

Everything to do with justice, but like it or not compensation in some form is often paid in the event of the death of an individual, particularly if that person was the family breadwinner, and not only in Thailand.

Edited by MMarlow

Should have been 2 separate news articles, one is about cops being ordered to actually do their job and provide daily reports, and another one is about the murder case.

Can say that the 1st is a good news, if this new guy is going to last...

As an outsider looking in, all I can do is wish the Chief good luck and support for his endeavors.

This forum is awash with experts spanning all professions and disciplines. There is also no lack of haters, bigots and flameers.

I prefer to take my own inventory, keep my own house in order and live and let live. These are alien concepts to some and very familiar to others.

Think, think, think.

• Like 1

And exactly how much did this new station chief pay for his position? How much did the other officers there and at every other station pay for their respective (not respected) positions? This is just more lip service as nothing can, or will change until there is a complete overhaul of the policing system.

It is a business pure and simple. If the chief of police and all other officers have to pay a huge amount of money for their position (far more than his salary could ever cover) then it goes without saying that their main concern is to get as much Tea money as possible to cover the investment.

I hear this a lot but I have never heard who actually receives this payment. Does it go to the head of police? the prime minister?