Using Thai ATM card in Japan - fees?

Japan's banking system is somewhat isolated by international standards and you will find that most ATM machines, including those that display VISA or Mastercard signs, will probably not accept foreign cards. The main exception is Citibank which has branches in certain cities only and Post Office ATM machines which are suppose to accept foreign cards. I have had mine rejected though at some of their ATM machines. I advise that you take cash (Yen only) as Japan is still a cash-oriented society. Don't expect Japanese retailers to necessarily be able to take cards as payment. Chain hotels usually accept them, but independent ones probbaly won't. Don't even try and change Baht in Japan as it will eb treated as monopoly money except a a large airport. When I lived there, the banks only exchanged US$ and didn't even change €uros. So, there's no hope for your Baht. There are no street bureaux de change anywhere by the way. Also, remember that Japan is not cheap. A meal will cost you at least abount 1000Yen and more if you're going to Tokyo and Osaka. In fact, if you are staying in Tokyo or Osaka, you should be aware that those cities can be horrendously expensive, especially for accommodation.

• Like 2

You should be able to use your card at any 7-11 branch in Japan , at least I did without any problem , apart from you could only withdraw minimum 10,000¥ per transaction.

7-11 are everywhere in Japan , as are family mart , but family mart would not accept my card.