Knee Surgey In Bumrungrad--anyone With Experience W/

Macx

I'm about to have reconsctrutive surgery at Bumrungrad to repair acl and miniscus tears in my knee. I was wondering if any TV member had experience with knee surgery at Bumrungrad or with Dr. Vajarin Phiphobmongkol? All I could find out about him on the net was that he worked at the Police Hospital.

Does anyone know how Bumrungrad sets up their physicians with regard to their specialties? For instance, is there just one/two surgeons who do a particular type of surgery only?

Where can I go to research my Thai surgeon's capabilities?

Synopsis of my experience so far: I came in with injury on Monday. Dr. ordered X-ray, and had a physical examination, then ordered an MRI the following day. Tuesday, MRI revealed injuries and Dr. suggested surgery with him as the operating surgeon. I was in shock and all I could do was say yes. Since then I've done my reading and I'm planning to go back today and ask him more questions about the procedure and his qualifications. In the meantime, addition info from people with firsthand experience at Bumrungrad and/or with this doctor would be great.

If you had sucessful knee surgery with another doctor, please share the information with me. Thanks.

i've had acl severed for 13 years - i have considered getting reconstruction done - but unless it gets alot worse will be happy - or as happy as happy can be with this - to not have surgery done.

It is worthwhile to consider alternatives as surgery can create more bad then good - it is also a significant amount of time post surgery to get back into shape as i beleive there is significant muscle deterioration.

Of course everyone is not the same and your circumsances will be different from mine.

I think it would be reasonable to ask for refernces from other people who have had the surgery done by the dr being recommended by the hospital - also if yu give a bit of time you will be able to understand what has happenned to you better and all that comes with that. A good hospital and consultant should talk this through with you.

I got a big knee brace from a uk hospital free as the surgeon wanted experience of doing acl reconstruction and i didnt want a 'beginner' practicing on me. The brace was expensive - about £400 - but as it was a goverment hospital didnt have to pay for it - but i do and have paid alot of tax...

The brace works - is uncomfortable to begin with and look unusual - still it is better than having accidents again as a result of no acl - i have had several of these and can be quite painful - but now i depend on having strongish muscles and knowing what i can and cant do - but it was a lifestyle changing event and takes some getting use to - of course depends what kind of lifestyle you lead - i use to have a very active lifestyle that involved alot of impact on the legs - that had to chage - still i keep fit and look at it as a blessing in disguise - my pursuits were getting more and more dangerous...

hth

Thanks Bob and Lopburi3.

Khun Bob, what do you do for excercise on that knee? Can you run 10k, ride a bicycle long distance, lift weight, etc? Was your decision not to have surgery dependent on your age or lifestyle?

So do you have to wear a brace every time you go out for sports or excercise?

I'm a very active person in my late 30s and this is the most traumatic thing that has ever happened to me. My friends and my sister have had knee surgeries, most are doing pretty well, except for my sister who had a quack for a surgeon (he's going thru several lawsuits right now in the States).

Before my accident, I used to say a knee injury would be my worse nightmare (having seen what friends have gone thru). And, oh, well, now that it happened, I guess if I live thru it, I'll be ready for most things.

ps - what kind of prices are they quoting for this ? And how much was the mri scan ?

Surgery of my magnitude, miniscus tear (3 grade), total reconstruction of acl with patela ligament, and repair of another side ligament would run near 200K bhat.

The MRI and miscellaneous fees came out to 14K bhat.

Macx, I would strongly advise getting a second opinion (as a minimum) from another hospital/doctor before agreeing to surgery.

I personally have osteoarthritis stage 4 in my left knee and was initially advised that I should have total knee replacement surgery. Secondary advice revealed that such surgery was inappropriate for me, given my age. :o

Macx, I would strongly advise getting a second opinion (as a minimum) from another hospital/doctor before agreeing to surgery.

I personally have osteoarthritis stage 4 in my left knee and was initially advised that I should have total knee replacement surgery. Secondary advice revealed that such surgery was inappropriate for me, given my age. :o

Thanks, Noel. I will seek a secon opinion.

May I ask your age at the time of your surgery? And what did you do in regard to the surgery? Was it successful?

My surgery isn't a total replacement. It is definitely neccessary even if I want to walk normally again.

May I ask your age at the time of your surgery? And what did you do in regard to the surgery? Was it successful?

My surgery isn't a total replacement. It is definitely neccessary even if I want to walk normally again.

A few months ago, the knee flared up again. That is nothing unusual; I normally put up with it until it subsides. However, this time it would not ease up and after a few days it was excruciating, so I eventually went to the hospital, in some distress I might add.

A bit of a flap ensued at the hospital, resulting in the doctor aspirating 150cl of pus in the E.R. It was not the normal fluid, the knee was seriously infected and should have been attended to days earlier, so the alarmed doctor said.

I was then admitted for eight days.

When told I needed total knee replacement surgery, I sought other opinions and researched the procedure on the web.

It transpired that the new joints they currently have will only last for 15 years and replacing the replacement later on is fraught with problems, with a low success rate. Most schools of thought appear to conclude that such surgery should not be carried out until you are at least sixty; I am 52.

All as I can do now is just see how things go and hope they can come up with longer lasting joints before I am confined to a wheelchair.

If only I knew when I will pop my clogs, it would make the decision and future planning so much easier... :D

If only I knew when I will pop my clogs, it would make the decision and future planning so much easier... :D

Wow, thanks for sharing that, and for the great attitude.

I'm doing my best to be positive about all this :o

I had ACL reconstruction in Bumrungrad last year by Doctor Panya. He was excellent and apparently is the most experienced at them in BKK.

Even the doctors in BNH know of him well.

With regard to not having the surgery. I delayed my decision by 2 weeks however knee kept giving way when turning or even playing pool. Agony.

Go for the surgery mine was 100% succusseful - However my advice - which I wish I had followed better is DO the excercises / physio throughly. I was a bit lapse I would attend the physio for the first 2 weeks and not really do too much of the excersices at home in between sessions.

You really must do these. Good luck

I had ACL reconstruction in Bumrungrad last year by Doctor Panya. He was excellent and apparently is the most experienced at them in BKK.

With regard to not having the surgery. I delayed my decision by 2 weeks however knee kept giving way when turning or even playing pool. Agony.

Go for the surgery mine was 100% succusseful - However my advice - which I wish I had followed better is DO the excercises / physio throughly. I was a bit lapse I would attend the physio for the first 2 weeks and not really do too much of the excersices at home in between sessions.

Seconded, I agree 100%.

I know from bitter experience over the years that post-op knee exercises are soul destroying (even the pre-op ones are not exactly fun...), but you do benefit and expedite the recovery process. :o

I personally have osteoarthritis stage 4 in my left knee and was initially advised that I should have total knee replacement surgery. Secondary advice revealed that such surgery was inappropriate for me, given my age. :D

I had total knee replacement on the 15th of may this year, I am 63 years of age , incurred bomb damage to my left knee in 1968, resulting in extensive surgery including removal of patella and cartledges shortening of tendons and ligaments, over the years I have had multiple knee rebuilds just to repair the damage from wear and tear in the joint,have always been an active sportsman ,was still playing Old boys rugby union at 52, as long as you dont shy away from exercising the muscles in your injured leg you wont lose any muscle mass, it is now 3 weeks since my knee replacement, I,m walking well, using a stick when needed, but I expect to be back to normal movement in another 6 weeks, these days knee construction is normally done in day surgery, but I cannot emphasize enough, exercise the injured leg no matter how much it hurts, wearing a brace causes you to lose muscle mass, strong muscles are 75% of battle to walking normally, :o Nignoy

Thanks Dekka. I'll go see Dr. Panya too. I certainly will be dilligent about the physio. I want to get back to running and bicycling again.

So if you don't do the physio properly during the rehab period, you can't catch up later on?

It's really strange hobbling around BKK on crutches. People stare alot. But I'm not gonna stay in my hotel and mope.

Thanks again.

surgery, but I cannot emphasize enough, exercise the injured leg no matter how much it hurts, wearing a brace causes you to lose muscle mass, strong muscles are 75% of battle to walking normally, :o Nignoy

Thanks for sharing that Nigoy. It's really uplifting for me :D

Your story is truly amazing. I know younger people with less serious injuries than yours who give up the active life altogether.

It's 6 days since my injury. I kept having memories of my last run through the sugarcane fields in Hawaii only 10 days before.

I'm going to the pool to start the exercise anew today.

Best of luck with your recovery. Please keep me posted on your process. By the way, did you do your surgery in LOS?

Thanks again.

I had total knee replacement on the 15th of may this year, I am 63 years of age , incurred bomb damage to my left knee in 1968, resulting in extensive surgery including removal of patella and cartledges shortening of tendons and ligaments, over the years I have had multiple knee rebuilds just to repair the damage from wear and tear in the joint,have always been an active sportsman ,was still playing Old boys rugby union at 52, as long as you dont shy away from exercising the muscles in your injured leg you wont lose any muscle mass, it is now 3 weeks since my knee replacement, I,m walking well, using a stick when needed, but I expect to be back to normal movement in another 6 weeks, these days knee construction is normally done in day surgery, but I cannot emphasize enough, exercise the injured leg no matter how much it hurts, wearing a brace causes you to lose muscle mass, strong muscles are 75% of battle to walking normally, :D Nignoy

The original timing of the late sixties is remarkably close to my situation come to think of it, but not quite so dramatic!

The damage to my knees (yes, the ‘good’ one is not exactly ‘e-Bay’ material...) was primarily brought to the fore by rugby and football, exacerbated by continuing to play having been strictly told not to by the Consultants.

My kneecaps were prone to dislocate when turning sharply, although in later years being ‘bombed’ in the disco on a Saturday night did not help…

Long story cut short, I had both knees operated on at the same time when I was in my early twenties: ‘Bi-lateral Housers’ was the procedure as I recall, involving relocating a cube of bone from which the patella tendon sprouts, the idea being to adjust the alignment.

There were complications, resulting in me remaining in plaster and hospitalized for four months. That butchery actually made things worse, culminating in having both knee caps removed some six years later.

I still have ‘Pat’ and ‘Ella’ in a jar of formaldehyde solution to this day. Yes, I know, but I was rather attached to them… :D

The point I was really getting to was how dramatic the muscle loss can be, particularly from the quadriceps. When the plasters finally came off, I will never forget seeing those two turkey necks hanging from two curtain rails masquerading as my thighs. I then realised why a shrink had been to counsel me prior to the event.

Getting that muscle bulk back seemed like an impossible task at the time; sheer hard work and associated pain and misery is the only way through it though, as far as I know.

There can be no cheating, as the only person you fool is yourself. Yes, it is hard but well worth it in the end.

Enough, if not too much already, methinks...

Suffice it to say, Nignoy, I would be very interested to see how your recuperation and development proceeds as you continue to take things in your stride, so to speak, on the road to a full recovery.

I feel sure I will not be the only one who will be spurring you on and interested in your progress.

Thanks for sharing… :o

Awwww, jeezzzzz! Nigoy & Noel!

I certainly won't be a whiner after hearing your stories ....

A tough couple of guys...

Not a tough guy mate, my wife says I.m a wimp, but we are getting there :D just keep those quads strong no matter what, good luck :o Nignoy

Not a tough guy mate, my wife says I.m a wimp, but we are getting there :D just keep those quads strong no matter what, good luck :o Nignoy

[/quote

:D

Thanks bud. Went to pool and excercised yesterday.

hurts...

It's hard to tell which pain is a "good" pain and which is a "bad" pain....

:D

Thanks bud. Went to pool and excercised yesterday.

hurts...

It's hard to tell which pain is a "good" pain and which is a "bad" pain....

I know what you mean Macx, you do need to be careful.

I would be inclined to consult the doctor in conjunction with a physiotherapist to lay down some 'rules' in light of your existing condition.

Being 'brave' is all very well, but only if the pain is 'good pain' as you say... :D

My 28 year old daughter had ACL reconstruction at Bangkok Pattaya last year and is back doing pretty much everything before the injury. Dr Reboonlap did the surgery. He teaches in Bangkok and works in Pattaya on weekends.