39 killed on roads on day one of Songkran holidays

Lite Beer

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a previous poster said I too have seen this festival "descend into lunacy" over the last ten years. Each year it gets crazier and no end in sit to curb the madness.

Reading the oP how the army is mobilising forces, extra staff getting ready in hospitals for the wounded etc it sounds like this country is experiencing a natural disaster and it basically is. State of emergency?

It's incredible to believe the government are touting this " festival " to tourists, who would want to come here in the stinking heat and go out into the streets for what?

Thankfully I have picked up 2 months work and am out of the country, I just hope my family make it through the war.....

The number of deaths has not risen

So, things are only at par so far for the annual population decrease and nothings improved yet. (Still time to beat last years record though).

If it fails this year, there's always next year and maybe renewing the first car purchase plan might be more successful limiting it to only good handling qualified high performance for the reincarnated with a licence, or at least a bit of experience on four wheels and causing carnage before they're allowed to drive it off the lot.

Problem most Farangs always see, is that they only have 9 lives to get it right.

23,000+ drivers who could not produce a driving licence..!!!

So what punishment did they recieve,,?? How about confiscating the vehicle there & then..?

For years now there has been virtually no deterrant here against drivers who blatantly ignore what few laws there are,

& STILL, even now the punishment (if any) is minimal..TiT!

• Like 1

The 2,268 checkpoints nationwide, manned by 64,985 officials...

That is an average of 28.6 officials at each check point.

Has anyone ever seen 28 officials at a check point?

I believe there would be 28 police "signed on" for each check point, doesn't mean they will actually be at work....some have Mia nois to look after, hangovers, cock fights to attend etc.

• Like 1

So what punishment did they recieve,,?? How about confiscating the vehicle there & then..?

For years now there has been virtually no deterrant here against drivers who blatantly ignore what few laws there are,

The line of cars at the hang dong licensing centre last week for people scrambling to get their drivers licences was huge!

Lived and driven here for eight years.

Drove from kanchanaburi to Prachuap on Friday .

Very busy roads.

The standard of driving was the worst I have ever seen.

no one was going anywhere fast but still cutting in,tailgateing, the usual madness on a greater scale, I can't tell you how pleased I was to arrive at my destination unscathed...

Yeah, driving a vehicle and unable to produce a licence on demand.

Capital offence, that.

Confiscate the vehicle, castrate the driver and sacrifice his first born.

More interestingly, took my staff to Ekkachai houseboat at MaeNgat dam yesterday and park police were in strong presence, enforcing life jacket rules and generally doing an active and good job trying to ensure no accidents.

They succeeded.

There must have been a 150 people where we were and they were all totally drunk including a big Malaysian contingent.

Good party and feel sorry for some on here whose only focus is neg.

I had some food, sobered up a bit and drove home...............

That's what happens in the real world.

• Like 1

So 2,268 checkpoints nationwide, manned by 64,985 officials, arrested 75,630 traffic law breakers, including 23,265, who failed to present a driver's licence and 21,601, who did not wear a helmet while riding motorcycles and no drunk driving arrest!

It is a known fact that the 44866 arrests is for tea money.

I was not present at all 44,866 arrests, so I cannot claim the same fact. I did not talk to all 44,866 arrestees, so,I cannot claim the same fact. I have no crystal ball that saw what happened in the case of all 44,866 arrests, so I cannot claim the same fact.

I have no idea of any facts concerning this or any other situation where I was not present. I suppose i might quess at, assume about, read about or just take a wild quess and claim something is factual. In the end, it's just my opinion. Fact? Probably not.

Experience dear boy,experience

So 2,268 checkpoints nationwide, manned by 64,985 officials, arrested 75,630 traffic law breakers, including 23,265, who failed to present a driver's licence and 21,601, who did not wear a helmet while riding motorcycles and no drunk driving arrest!

It is a known fact that the 44866 arrests is for tea money.

So what did they actually do with the 23,265 that they arrested for failing to present a drivers license? Ah, I know, collected some tea money and sent them on their way.

I am not sure of my facts here so don't start flaming. I was told that the number of road deaths recorded here are those who died ON the roads. Road accident victims who subsequently die of their injuries in hospital are not recorded. If I was living in any other country I would not believe this. But TIT so it is possible

Yep, heard the same. Pretty sure true. ... Nah, I'm certain of it. Like the cops are going to follow-up with the hospital? Visa-versa?

Yes, in the UK the police will seize a car or any other vehicle driven by a driver who does not have a valid driving licences as any insurance would be invalid.

Usual Suspect.

You asked what punishment ?? a police coffee fine, then allowed to go on.

No crash hat--pay the coffee money--off you go with your ticket, if stopped later at another road block you not pay all you do is show them the ticket and on your way.

This has got to stop--if the police get a thorough re vamp there could be a gradual improvement. but giving up a franchise of sorts will not be easy.

Ill bet they never bother to advertise how many lucky tattoos and lucky amulets the dead had on them in accidents. Even if they did people woudl make excuses that it was the wrong tattoo or the wrong amulet or it that amulet should not be worn on a Wednesday etc.. But such advertising certainly cant do any more harm than good....

Syria is probably safer than Thailand during songkran.

I think driving around Helmond in a open top pink Cadillac flying the "Union Jack" and "Stars'n'stripes" would be much safer than driving in Thailand any time of the year.

I am not sure of my facts here so don't start flaming. I was told that the number of road deaths recorded here are those who died ON the roads. Road accident victims who subsequently die of their injuries in hospital are not recorded. If I was living in any other country I would not believe this. But TIT so it is possible

Yep, heard the same. Pretty sure true. ... Nah, I'm certain of it. Like the cops are going to follow-up with the hospital? Visa-versa?

Got a RTP Senior Sergeant Major in the marriage family, and I asked him about that. They only count the dead at the scene. Once you leave the scene and die in the hospital, you aren't part of that statistic.

• Like 1

Got a RTP Senior Sergeant Major in the marriage family, and I asked him about that. They only count the dead at the scene. Once you leave the scene and die in the hospital, you aren't part of that statistic.

Check. Good info. Thanks.

I feel so sorry for those who lost their lives ....... This is the one time of year that many get to see the family as they are working away with little or no holiday for the rest of the year.

I think the police breakdown on the statistics says a lot about what is actually happening though...it isn't mostly drunks in pick ups....

Most accidents - 81 per cent - involved motorcycles, followed by pickup trucks at 8.5 per cent, Teeraphong said. About 62 per cent accidents happened on a straight section of the highway while most accidents occurred between 4pm and 8pm and over half (53 per cent) of the people killed or wounded in road accidents were in the working age group (20-49 years old), he said."

Check. Good info. Thanks.

This isn't just a Thai thing, all stats worldwide are subject to interpretation based on many factors..,how they are gathered and by who is important but what we make of them is often clouded by our own prejudices.

No surprise here! The standard of driving in Thailand reflects the country's present mood. Idiotic, selfish , self destructive and very dangerous. It's very sad to see.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Frankly you sound positively triumphal over the news. In anticipation of this likely tragic scenario I'll bet that you have been turning over a deprecating response in your mind for days. What BS when you attempt to shift posture by finishing with the "very sad to see" line. Your post is all about "kick em when they're down" - about the cherished publishing of a miserable smear.

This isn't just a Thai thing, all stats worldwide are subject to interpretation based on many factors..,how they are gathered and by who is important but what we make of them is often clouded by our own prejudices.

Agree with you on the inefficiency and dishonesty of governments and institutions, if that is your gist. But keep in mind the cover-your-ass principal (CYA), the golden rule in institutions in the west. All the legalities, potential liabilities, insurance and other reporting requirements. Fundamental to a death certificate: Cause of Death. Even the crappiest of reporting in the west would record a death resulting from a motor vehicle accident as a road death, get added to stats. That ain't happening here.

What a load of rubbish.

I follow several first responders on Facebook, from various parts of the country. They always post images of the scenes they go to, and it's full on road CARNAGE right now. There have even been a couple of large bus crashes. However, nothing reported, yet. I'm guessing most of it won't get reported. Have your Thai partner look some up on Facebook and follow them. It's eye opening.

Be safe everyone. The numbers are lies. It's much, much worse. Always is. "The 7 Deadly Days" is nothing more than media and government hype.

• Like 1