TOT WI-NET , installation cost ?

CharlieH

Just curious as to what the regional variations are for installation of the TOT WI NET service.

Which area are you and what did you pay for installation please ?

Edited by CharlieH

IIRC (it was a while back) ours cost about 9K Baht all in, then 800 a month for the 7Mbps download package. Northern Bangkok (Sam Khok).

We have just had it replaced by TOT FTTX. The resort next door paid for fibre to the village, we are now piggy-backed on their investment, certainly faster (and more expensive), we shall see how it goes with reliability.

I have had problems for years with my adsl from TOT so a little over a week ago I called the technician I normally deal with. He was nearby so stopped by, found a good direct line of sight to a new WiNet tower 2 km away and set things up free of charge. I have now gone from having unreliable download speeds of maybe 200 or 300 Kbs max, to an amazing 1.6 MB. Needless to say I am very happy.

He did call in and asked them to wave the installation fee when he was activating the unit. I assume they said okay since I was upgrading to a more expensive package. I am in Phaya Mengrai, about 55 km east from Chiang Rai.
  • Like 1

Im in MahaSarakham (a remote village) have had TOT WI NET service for 2 years now...Installation was free

I pay 987 baht per month for a 10 meg down 1 meg up. i download all my tv shows and films from usenet and the speed

is always up to scratch. i also talk to my daughter about twice a week, in the UK, though Viber, and the signal is also spot on.

Over all im very pleased with the system but have had a few outages..longest 6 days.

if you get it installed try and get the Number of the engineer, its much faster talking with him rather than the call centre...

i have this system as their are no other internet services available in my area.

I live between Sena and Ayutthaya and had TOT WiFi installed just last month. Total cost (antenna, modem, everything): 4922 baht. Totally worth it, I think. Of course I was previously running a True Move H 3G dongle (3Gb cap) at 812 baht a month, so there you go. Actually with the lower monthly bill the TOT installation will pay for itself in, oh, two or three years.smile.png

The speeds are fictional, try it to a UK server, on a bad day its 150kbps ona good day maybe 1.5mb, generally I cant watch a movie unless its 3 am or something,

Paid about 3500 baht after they told us twice there was no signal yet one engineer said it was fine.

Oh yeah 10mb to Bangkok server......surprise surprisewink.png

This was one month ago, PRANBURI area.

You guys make me so jealous. Six months ago I paid 20k for the mast (20 metres), antenna and wireless router. Location is part way 'tween Buri Ram and the airport. As others have said apart from 3G there is nothing else. Speed is good 10/1. Engineers number is at the ready but haven't needed to call him yet.

Interesting that the prices so far range from 0 - 20k, there doesnt appear to be a "standard", even though the equipment is the pole,the receiver, router etc.

Seems they charge what they like, or perhaps what they feel they can get away with ?

Equipment needs to be installed on the tower as well.

There may have been regional promotions, waiving or reducing the installation fees?

Some of the fees mentioned may also represent equipment deposit.

You could look through sites like adslthailand, pantip, overclockzone using Google Translate. Also look at some of the past threads here.

I found this receipt on the TOT Wi-NET Facebook Club page, it shows 3,745 baht for installation.

http://www.overclockzone.com/forums/showthread.php/1197169-TOT-WiFi-Wi-Net-%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%83%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A1%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%88%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%81-TOT

post-9615-0-02331800-1397461573_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

For a bit of supporting info. have a look at the picture. The concrete post is as used for high voltage power and would set you back at least 14k attached to that is the steel mast with the antenna on the top (about 6k). Two teams did the installation. I was not aware of any "offers" at the time but it strikes me that 20k is not an unreasonable price.

post-185232-0-50382600-1397484164_thumb.

The speeds are fictional, try it to a UK server, on a bad day its 150kbps ona good day maybe 1.5mb, generally I cant watch a movie unless its 3 am or something,

Paid about 3500 baht after they told us twice there was no signal yet one engineer said it was fine.

Oh yeah 10mb to Bangkok server......surprise surprisewink.png

This was one month ago, PRANBURI area.

I know that it slows down to outside Thailand but thats inevitable due to restriction on the network,

but like i said im on a 10 meg down which i do get to Bangkok, to a UK server (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)

im getting 5.89 meg down which im quite happy with.

(first time uploading a picture to a reply... I hope the picture has uploaded as evidence.)

Have a nice day.

post-126668-0-98419600-1397492294_thumb.

For a bit of supporting info. have a look at the picture.

Good point, and one which provides some insight to the variability in installation costs. As you need a line-of-sight to the serving tower, which could be ~ 15 Km away, you'll obviously need a tower/mast at your home which supports that requirement. Some can see the tower from the second-floor bedroom or roof of their house, while others may have to construct a 15 m tall mast. I've also seen some installations on bamboo poles.