Food items currently on sale in Chiang Mai

BillyBobThai

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moral of the story will all like to save money but sometimes the cost of the saving is taken by expenses if the saving of just a few baht means that much then I am sorry for you but there are better ways of saving money than chasing cheap groceries.

This is exactly the reason that I started this thread. If more people would contribute, it will enable myself and others, if it is worthwhile to drive somewhere to save. Personally I buy most of my food at Makro, but if Tesco, which is just up the rd from Makro, Is cheaper I will most likely go there.

• Like 1

Moral of the story will all like to save money but sometimes the cost of the saving is taken by expenses if the saving of just a few baht means that much then I am sorry for you but there are better ways of saving money than chasing cheap groceries.

This is exactly the reason that I started this thread. If more people would contribute, it will enable myself and others, if it is worthwhile to drive somewhere to save. Personally I buy most of my food at Makro, but if Tesco, which is just up the rd from Makro, Is cheaper I will most likely go there.

You really do need to get out more often. Listen to yourself. Billybobthai, you sound like an old woman. Justify it as much as you like, but that's still how it comes across. Is this really how you want to see out your last years? You're 6 years older than me but you sound like 20 years older.

Here's the alternative.......

http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/let-me-die-a-youngman-s-death/

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

Right. My now deceased uncle kept a little book in his kitchen of how much he and his wife saved when they went shopping. He showed it to me when I was visiting one time as I was curious as to why he always entered the prices when we would return from shopping. Over a 25 year period of time it added up to something like 19,500 Euros - not something to sneeze at. My uncle also factored in the cost of fuel when for example they would travel 28 km or so when they wanted to shop at Carrefour as opposed to the local market in the village. So although the amounts seem small, added up over time it could add up to a lot of money.

You really do need to get out more often. Listen to yourself. Billybobthai, you sound like an old woman. Justify it as much as you like, but that's still how it comes across. Is this really how you want to see out your last years? You're 6 years older than me but you sound like 20 years older.

Joe when your health gets to the point where thats all you can do, remember this reply you just sent me.

• Like 1

Joe when your health gets to the point where thats all you can do, remember this reply you just sent me.

I'm sorry. I saw the dead guy being taken away from the moat and it disturbed me. My apologies.

I've been peeling/slicing mine and mixing with some baby red onions that were 10 thb per bag, then marinating in the 40% pure lime juice that sells for 16.5 thb per bottle. Holy crap, what happened to the cheap limes? 7 thb for a ping pong ball size? Might as well sweeten with Grand Mariner.

Lucky you. Am back in Oz at the moment - here in Perth Lettuce 200 Bht Cucumber 100Bht and a single small lime 90Bht . 1k of poor quality bananas 150Bht.

best oranges here are the imported USA at 90Bht a K. These are easily the best value fruit at this time. Oh and I bought a singly red capsicum - they are 400Bht a K!!!

and wages ten times as much as Thailand.

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

Makro has a very good deal on Salmon, 160 Bht a Kg., tail cuts,its in the frozen

food section,same Salmon, middle cuts are 450 bht a Kg.

regards worgeordie

http://www.farmedanddangerous.org/salmon-farming-problems/

and people are worried about genetically modified corn?

It may not be farm-raised salmon The cheapest salmon is pink salmon which isn't farmed. Low in fat, not a lot of flavor. I go to Makro frequently and will give it a check.

I would take the farmed over the pink, any day of the week. Costco sells farmed skinless fillets for less than 200 thb per pound all the time in the US, and it is frozen, but that is probably a good thing. Chinese have ruined the fish business, and now a big scare on shrimp.

Makro has a very good deal on Salmon, 160 Bht a Kg., tail cuts,its in the frozen

regards worgeordie

It may not be farm-raised salmon The cheapest salmon is pink salmon which isn't farmed. Low in fat, not a lot of flavor. I go to Makro frequently and will give it a check.

That would certainly be interesting. Norway is one of the worlds biggest exporters of salmon, and a lot of the salmon I've seen in Thailand originates from Norway. This is all farmed salmon of course.

Last year I was working in Norway for several months, and I at that time read in the local papers that after a lot of pressure from various people and organizations, the official, government-sanctioned recommendation, was changed to "max two servings a week" for young women and children. This was based on the large amount of very unhealthy crap the farmed norwegian salmon is fed, including special things to make the meat change colour to red (a marine biologist who did her Ph.d thesis on something salmon-related told me that without this special food additive, the meat of the farmed salmon would look sickly grey).

Considering the enormous amount of time and money Norway has invested into its salmon farming business, exporting around the world, one can only imagine how much pressure and how serious the health consequences must be for its government to come out with such a recommendation. Having until then been enjoying tasteful and relatively cheap norwegian salmon several times a week, and big portions at that (can not buy small farmed salmon), I stopped eating norwegian salmon there and then. Non-farmed salmon was available, but only in special shops, very expensive, and not at the time I was there.

I'd be very surprised if non-farmed salmon was available here, but it is not impossible I guess. Please do follow-up after checking.

Edited by Awk

regards worgeordie

That would certainly be interesting. Norway is one of the worlds biggest exporters of salmon, and a lot of the salmon I've seen in Thailand originates from Norway. This is all farmed salmon of course.

Last year I was working in Norway for several months, and I at that time read in the local papers that after a lot of pressure from various people and organizations, the official, government-sanctioned recommendation, was changed to "max two servings a week" for young women and children. This was based on the large amount of very unhealthy crap the farmed norwegian salmon is fed, including special things to make the meat change colour to red (a marine biologist who did her Ph.d thesis on something salmon-related told me that without this special food additive, the meat of the farmed salmon would look sickly grey).

Considering the enormous amount of time and money Norway has invested into its salmon farming business, exporting around the world, one can only imagine how much pressure and how serious the health consequences must be for its government to come out with such a recommendation. Having until then been enjoying tasteful and relatively cheap norwegian salmon several times a week, and big portions at that (can not buy small farmed salmon), I stopped eating norwegian salmon there and then. Non-farmed salmon was available, but only in special shops, very expensive, and not at the time I was there.

I'd be very surprised if non-farmed salmon was available here, but it is not impossible I guess. Please do follow-up after checking.

I will check but there's a reason that pink salmon is so cheap..It doesn't have a lot of flavor. Very low in fat. It's eggs, on the other hand,. are delicious and costly.

I've been peeling/slicing mine and mixing with some baby red onions that were 10 thb per bag, then marinating in the 40% pure lime juice that sells for 16.5 thb per bottle. Holy crap, what happened to the cheap limes? 7 thb for a ping pong ball size? Might as well sweeten with Grand Mariner.

Lucky you. Am back in Oz at the moment - here in Perth Lettuce 200 Bht Cucumber 100Bht and a single small lime 90Bht . 1k of poor quality bananas 150Bht.

best oranges here are the imported USA at 90Bht a K. These are easily the best value fruit at this time. Oh and I bought a singly red capsicum - they are 400Bht a K!!!

and wages ten times as much as Thailand.

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

An Australian friend once advised me against the steak tartare in Thailand. It took about one second of persuading.

The coloring additive was one of the first complaints by the consumer groups years ago. They also pointed out that there was almost no regulation of the industry, completely opposite of how closely USDA monitors beef production. Last time I checked, CoHo or Sockeye, "line caught" was running about 800 thb per kg at Trader Joe's....frozen at sea.

In reply to post #44, I was informed several years ago that the feed used to change the colour of farmed Salmon's flesh to pink was carcinogenic!!

On another note, M and S have discounted quite a lot of products, several of the Teas, etc. Looks as if lots of the produce is getting to its sell by date.

Though if you like their groceries and don't mind their prices than its worth a visit.

In reply to post #44, I was informed several years ago that the feed used to change the colour of farmed Salmon's flesh to pink was carcinogenic!!

On another note, M and S have discounted quite a lot of products, several of the Teas, etc. Looks as if lots of the produce is getting to its sell by date.

Though if you like their groceries and don't mind their prices than its worth a visit.

Are you in Chiang Mai? I only had a very quick look around M&S in Central Festival when it first opened and concluded it wasn't big enough for a food hall. Was I looking in the wrong place? Or the wrong mall?

regards worgeordie

I have no idea on the standing of farmed salmon compared to farmed salmon today. I have not paid any attention because I very rarely have it.

That being said I was interested about 15 years ago due to a friend being in the industry. I heard about the down and up side then. I just can't help but think that the industry has changed in 15 years due to pressure. Would be interested in a report less than a year old. I know not many good ones from years ago and those were biased. but then again the internet can prove both sides of any thing what do you want to believe. Tough nut to crack to get at the truth.

What ever, if is farmed,wild,pink or red, it tastes very nice

with some boiled buttered potatoes,vegetables,steam the

Salmon, and cover with some hollandaise sauce,I don't eat

it everyday,and most foods are contaminated in some way

or another,or make you fat,you just have to make the best

choices available.

Just wait till we are all been fed on Soylent Green,then we

would have something to complain about.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

Still off topic a bit. I'm in the SF Bay Area for a month and just went shopping and came back with some frozen salmon:

AquaStar Pacific Salmon Fillets - Wild Caught - Whole - Skin On - Vacuum Sealed - 2 Fillets - Net Wt 1.25 lb (567g) - Product of China

On sale at Safeway for $5.00 (less than 300 THB per Kg) probably about 20% to 40% less than regular price.

The fillets were kind of a paler pink. I steamed one with some asparagus and being pre-diabletic only made a small amount of hollandaise sauce.

Truth in labeling? Who knows, but after it was cooked the salmon was a lighter pink and flaked nicely and it tasted great to me.

Grin

Are you in Chiang Mai? I only had a very quick look around M&S in Central Festival when it first opened and concluded it wasn't big enough for a food hall. Was I looking in the wrong place? Or the wrong mall?

Correct in what you say, not big enough for a Food hall, but there is a provisions "room" right down at the back and on the left, just past the ladies lingerie!!

• Like 1

Still off topic a bit. I'm in the SF Bay Area for a month and just went shopping and came back with some frozen salmon:

AquaStar Pacific Salmon Fillets - Wild Caught - Whole - Skin On - Vacuum Sealed - 2 Fillets - Net Wt 1.25 lb (567g) - Product of China

On sale at Safeway for $5.00 (less than 300 THB per Kg) probably about 20% to 40% less than regular price.

The fillets were kind of a paler pink. I steamed one with some asparagus and being pre-diabletic only made a small amount of hollandaise sauce.

Truth in labeling? Who knows, but after it was cooked the salmon was a lighter pink and flaked nicely and it tasted great to me.

Grin

I used to buy whole or half King (day caught) in Emeryville for 3.50 usd per pound. Been a few years. See my post earlier....Chinese have ruined the global fish market. Remember when good salmon and halibut were the same price? And how about the 2.99 shrimp burger/fries/slaw to go at Spenger's Market.

I lived in Berkeley and Albany for many years and probably went to Spengers a hundred times. When I lived in Albany my next door neighbor used to go out salmon fishing and always gave us a huge salmon when he returned. If I remember correctly they just used weighted lines with a multiple hooks on them and just lowered them into schools of salmon and raised the line with a bunch of salmon caught on it. Now when I am working in the bay area I seldom have time to make it back to the east bay. Gonna have to rectify that.

Grin

Correct in what you say, not big enough for a Food hall, but there is a provisions "room" right down at the back and on the left, just past the ladies lingerie!!

Thank you, I'll have a mooch around there tomorrow.

OK back on topic...At least two orange stands on Mahidol Rd., about 120 meters South of the SW Corner of the moat, on the left hand side. 35 THB per KG, so WTH would you want to pay 75 THB at Makro for some US imports of a variety commonly found in Federal School Lunch Programs and prison dining halls? I was on red, going to Airport Plaza, so I didn't stop. If anyone gives them an actual taste test, please let us know?

Edited by Thighlander

We've recently moved and Muang Mai is now my local market. I've found that the marked prices at the Morning Market are about 5 baht a kilo more - makes sense really as the traders from the Morning Market probably shop in the same place I do now. Doubt they'd be cheaper anywhere else, I don't see how they could be.

A few weeks ago I was in Makro and my eye was caught by honey murcot mandarins. They were on special and weren't much more expensive than mandarins I buy on the market, I think 35 baht a kilo but they were so good. I kept the bag so I could take it to the market with the price-tag name in Thai and see if they had them there, but my husband threw the bag away before I made it. I don't eat oranges, but we usually go through 2 kilo of mandarins a week and I've always found it to be a bit hit and miss with the taste whether I pay 30 baht or 70 baht a kilo. I thought if I could find out the Thai name for them, I'd be on to a winner. Probably should have shown the label to a Thai locally who could tell me the name (which I would scribble in my Thai-name-for-fruit-veggie-and-cut-of-meat notebook, with a pronunciation guide that stands the test of time; everything has to rhyme with something so I remember it).

If anyone knows the name in Thai for honey murcot's, I would be grateful if they'd share it (and what it rhymes with).

OK back on topic...At least two orange stands on Mahidol Rd., about 120 meters South of the SW Corner of the moat, on the left hand side. 35 THB per KG, so WTH would you want to pay 75 THB at Makro for some US imports of a variety commonly found in Federal School Lunch Programs and prison dining halls? I was on red, going to Airport Plaza, so I didn't stop. If anyone gives them an actual taste test, please let us know?

Must be one of those federal country club prisons. I guess they leave the cheaper Florida stuff to the state prison systems.

Anyway, for those of you who love oranges, try a few at Makro while they last. There are no better tasting oranges than late season navel oranges.

Edited by quidnunc