HUA HIN Tuk Tuk cheaters

Travel Dude

1 kilometer? That's a nice walk with a smile on my face and 150 baht still in my pocket.

I agree! As long as it isn't raining. Or mid afternoon in the blazing sun. Or you have bags to carry. Or you have your children with you. Or you are physically disabled. Etc, etc, etc.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does any of the tuk tuk defenders know the price for a trip from Bangkok to Hua Hin in an airconditioned Toyota van? Yes it's shared but it's a good and comfortable seat for this approx. 200 km trip.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The "quality" tourists are now here in force facepalm.gif

150 baht OH NO ITS TOO EXPENSIVE whistling.gif

What do you want a free ride to the bar where you will no doubt spend a couple of grand

Please go back from where you camehuh.png

This response is obnoxious and outright idiotic. I do not care how much someone is going to spend in their activities- it is irrelevant and it is non of your f***ing business. Getting ripped off is the entire issue.

That being said I think the guy is being a big woosy.

w00t.gif A tuk tuk driver tried to gouge you. OMG! There must be a rape crisis center or something which you can visit. dry.png

Hey Travel Dude, at this moment all over the world thousands of taxis and personal public transportation drivers are trying to overcharge people whom they think are naïve. You call yourself "Travel Dude"? What a joke. A person who has the absurd illusion that he is a man who gets around and then whines about something like this. As someone who has been on the road for most of his life I find you to be an insult.

Does any of the tuk tuk defenders know the price for a trip from Bangkok to Hua Hin in an airconditioned Toyota van? Yes it's shared but it's a good and comfortable seat for this approx. 200 km trip.

It's 180 thb.

So please stop comparing the Pound price etc.. This is Thailand with its own cost of life.

Everyone in this country knows that 150 thb for less than 1 km in an open tuk tuk is excessive when compared to LOCAL prices.

Anyone pretending otherwise is out of reality. At least Thai reality.

It has nothing to do with whining; just don't like to get ripped of, that's it.

I suggest those getting too personal to perhaps get some education in decency.

It's 180 thb.

So please stop comparing the Pound price etc.. This is Thailand with its own cost of life.

Everyone in this country knows that 150 thb for less than 1 km in an open tuk tuk is excessive when compared to LOCAL prices.

I suggest those getting too personal to perhaps get some education in decency. I appreciate the Warning, years ago I wish someone would have warned me about Phuket and expensive transportation costs...

It's 180 thb.

I suggest those getting too personal to perhaps get some education in decency. TD I appreciate the Warning, years ago I wish someone would have warned me about Phuket and expensive transportation costs...

Can't post a link here, but there's an article on the Bangkok Post talking about this. Taxi drivers refusing to take fares and refusing to take customers to their desired destinations.

I'm usually in Bkk around February - March time most years and was again this year. I found a HUGE increase in taxi drivers refusing the destination and/or refusing to use the meter. Sometimes had to stop 6 or 7 cars before getting accepted. Different times of the day & night, mostly in the Sukhumvit area.

I always open the passenger door and speak to them before getting in. Its a pointless exercise to get in only to have to stop them and get out again 50 yards on. If refused I make a point of putting the taxi number on the door in my phone, but never bother to report them. Number for the Land Transport Office is 1584 if anyone wants to. Different times of the day & night, mostly in Sukhumvit area.

Some posters seem to feel sorry for Bkk taxi drivers low rates/earnings. I had a friend, an older Thai lady, retired teacher whose older brother, an engineer, was also retired. He used to get bored sitting around the house in Isaan so would take himself off to Bkk and drive a taxi for 3 weeks or so until he's had enough. Net earnings around 1,000 bht a day. So for a full time driver, (most work 7 days a week) that's 30,000 a month, a very handsome income in Thai terms.

One poster mentioned that they never have to wait a couple of hours for a fare. Maybe not in the city but be aware they often have to queue up for at least that to get into the airport. If you've ever seen the marshaling/holding area near the airport, there are 100's of taxis there. Its not a case of just driving in and picking up a fare. This is why you will often get a moan if after having done that wait, you are only going to a hotel 1km from the airport.

Edited by Lancashirelad