HUA HIN Tuk Tuk cheaters

Travel Dude

150 baht isnt that bad, what people are forgetting is that prices of basic foods and petrol have doubled in the past few years...if it was 400 I would agree with you but 150, you really need to get upto date on prices in Thaialnd...what did you expect to pay 30 baht???

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Foreigners are generally out of touch with how much Thai people need to live. Why is okay for someone else to scrape by on 300 Baht a day profit but not us? This is a sad human condition.

Should his kids not have better food, better clothes, better schooling, better medical care, better living conditions - on a par with our own?

Should he not be able to have more than just rice and an egg for lunch? You need at least 100 Baht to get a good meal inside you that will sustain working 6-8 hours.

The fact is, more and more tuk-tuks and taxi drivers are been forced to up their fares because they simply can't afford to live. And of course the "farang" gets the brunt of this. For a Thai it costs at least 1000 baht a day to feed oneself and a wife and two kids (in Bangkok or Hua Hin), and pay rent and upkeep on a taxi/tuk-tuk. Many drivers are renting vehicles for 600 Baht a day and have to clear that before making a profit.

Then there is the issue of mafia bosses charging them extortionate money to belong to the rank. There is no regulation on this and the price can go up at any time.

Agreed, Thai people still pay the local rates, but they do need raising. However, this is problematic in that then most Thais couldn't afford to pay a rate-rise = catch 22.

If it's 150 meters then walk. If you want the luxury of a ride paying less than 3 pounds is reasonable. Hua Hin is a tourist area, which means the tuk-tuk drivers pay higher rates for belonging to a rank and therefore the extra is passed onto the foreign tourist.

I think it's time we started looking ourselves in the mirror a little more and asking the right questions. Why should Thais, or any other people from any other country, exist on peanuts while we lord it up and live in excess. Strange how travelers go around the world saying, "Ahhh, I feel so sorry for those poor people:". Yet when a food vendor or taxi asks for a couple of quid extra for something priced way below what we'd expect to sell it for if we were the vendor, we call them a thief or cheater.

• Like 2

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At what time of the day this took place? If late at night or early in the morning, this price might be more justifiable, although B150 is steep!

I did not see any taxis in Hua Hin, so, yes, there might be the same type of "mafia-like" conditons that prevail in other jurisdiction.

It is Thailand: the good, the bad, and the ugly!

Not everything in the west is perfect for sure!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/montreal-filmmaker-jesse-freeston-posts-video-of-alleged-laptop-theft-1.2610211

http://www.ahryunmoon.com/blog/blog/2014/04/05/girl-macbook-air/

The "quality" tourists are now here in force facepalm.gif

150 baht OH NO ITS TOO EXPENSIVE whistling.gif

What do you want a free ride to the bar where you will no doubt spend a couple of grand

Please go back from where you camehuh.png

Uncalled for, really get some manners.j

150 baht isnt that bad, what people are forgetting is that prices of basic foods and petrol have doubled in the past few years...if it was 400 I would agree with you but 150, you really need to get upto date on prices in Thaialnd...what did you expect to pay 30 baht???

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Foreigners are generally out of touch with how much Thai people need to live. Why is okay for someone else to scrape by on 300 Baht a day profit but not us? This is a sad human condition.

Should his kids not have better food, better clothes, better schooling, better medical care, better living conditions - on a par with our own?

Should he not be able to have more than just rice and an egg for lunch? You need at least 100 Baht to get a good meal inside you that will sustain working 6-8 hours.

The fact is, more and more tuk-tuks and taxi drivers are been forced to up their fares because they simply can't afford to live. And of course the "farang" gets the brunt of this. For a Thai it costs at least 1000 baht a day to feed oneself and a wife and two kids (in Bangkok or Hua Hin), and pay rent and upkeep on a taxi/tuk-tuk. Many drivers are renting vehicles for 600 Baht a day and have to clear that before making a profit.

Then there is the issue of mafia bosses charging them extortionate money to belong to the rank. There is no regulation on this and the price can go up at any time.

Agreed, Thai people still pay the local rates, but they do need raising. However, this is problematic in that then most Thais couldn't afford to pay a rate-rise = catch 22.

If it's 150 meters then walk. If you want the luxury of a ride paying less than 3 pounds is reasonable. Hua Hin is a tourist area, which means the tuk-tuk drivers pay higher rates for belonging to a rank and therefore the extra is passed onto the foreign tourist.

I think it's time we started looking ourselves in the mirror a little more and asking the right questions. Why should Thais, or any other people from any other country, exist on peanuts while we lord it up and live in excess. Strange how travelers go around the world saying, "Ahhh, I feel so sorry for those poor people:". Yet when a food vendor or taxi asks for a couple of quid extra for something priced way below what we'd expect to sell it for if we were the vendor, we call them a thief or cheater.

Complete and utter rubbish.

They should look to their own government and not the foreigners to sort out their financial problems.

The government have kept them down there for a reason. It is not the foreigners problem.

If you really believe your own drivel then do you also financially support all the other workers in Thailand that have no direct contact with foreigners ?

Example. a restaurant charges you 10 baht for some rice, do you give them 50 baht because its nearer to what you would pay in your country.

Or when you buy some rice in a Supermarket do you offer another 1000 baht ?

Why only support Tuk-tuk drivers ? what about everyone else ?

There's some truth to both sides of this argument. But I've noticed that the farangs who complain most bitterly that people who earn $10 per day are overcharging them and/or are unworthy of a tip are very often people who bitterly complain about jobs in their home country being "outsourced" to developing countries.

Please explain why you called them 'Cheaters' ? They gave you a price and you have the choice - what is your problem ?

There are no alternatives and they take advantage of that. No other choice than to take their 150 thb ride or walk. I would be curious to see what the reactions would be once a 35 thb metered taxi charges you 150 thb instead...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That has been happening a lot lately in Bangkok. Taxis refusing to use the meter and charging more.

No it hasn't, there are, however, a tiny minority of drivers who do this.

Yes I agree that it's a minority. But even then it happens thousends of times every day.

Please explain why you called them 'Cheaters' ? They gave you a price and you have the choice - what is your problem ?

There are no alternatives and they take advantage of that. No other choice than to take their 150 thb ride or walk. I would be curious to see what the reactions would be once a 35 thb metered taxi charges you 150 thb instead...

Hua Hin isnt Bangkok. Metered taxis run on LPG Tuk Tuks on benzine which is triple the cost. Metered taxis will almost be full all day and not have to wait 2 hours for a fare like Tuk Tuks, Song Taews in Pattaya take upto 12 people constantly full a lot of the time..compared to Samui and Phuket its cheap at the price. You really expect someone to take you for 30 baht.

LOL.. If your going to make a statement at least get your facts right. Tuk Tuks run on benzine? you people really need to stop drinking some much.

$5 for 1km? its 1/3 of the price in Bangkok assuming there is no traffic. And traffic in Hua Hin isnt that bad.

who Guilty in that case?

SOME moron Farangs knowingly pay much more than real costs ;

and SOME moron Thais thinking ;

if he get this price paid from a farang ;

he can get the same money from all other farangs too;

thats it.

thats EXACTLY how it works. i remember a while ago that the short time was 500 baht. now short time and an overnight stay are both 1000 baht because too many A-holes handed over 1000 for a few minutes fun. i see theyre trying to raise the bar fines to 500 now, which of you lot is paying too much for a barfine?

stop that *stuff* right now, ok?

Sorry, i think your pricing is totally wrong. 100 baht to fill yourself up to work 6-8 hours. You mean sit in a tuk tuk? 1000 baht a day? 30k a month, these are not correct figures. And comparing pounds with baht is wrong too, the values don't compare.

In no way am I defending the tuktuk or taxi drivers. But there are several things here people seem to be having trouble with:

1st - why expect the prices to be the same all over Thailand? I am NOT saying that 150thb for 1km in Hua Hin is justified. There are many different factors that can effect the pricing (many already listed by other posts) - cost of living is not the same all over Thailand. In the U.S. the price of taxis, or public buses, subways, etc. varies from state to state. i.e. the cost of a taxi in San Francisco is not the same as the cost of a taxi in Chicago.

2nd - people using the terms "scam" or "cheat" here - these are both usually associated with some form of trickery - those tuktuk drivers are not tricking you into paying 150thb for 1km. That driver told you the price and you felt it was too much. They may be trying to OVERCHARGE people - but they're not tricking you into anything.

3rd - just because people come from a foreign country doesn't mean they're rolling in $$$ and should have no problem being overcharged. The idea of different prices for different people is really offensive to most people from 1st world - developed countries. In the U.S. there are some exceptions, but they are not given to Americans across the board. Some tourist areas may offer a local discount to bring LOCAL residents to their restaurants, hotel, spas etc. but you must show that you are a local resident. For example, if you are a resident of San Francisco, you can get a discount at the local public golf course. But if you are a resident of another city in California or the US, you get the published price they charge all non San Francisco residents. Someone from Bangkok and someone from Chicago would pay the same price to play at the local San Francisco golf course since neither of them are San Francisco residents.

For people saying things like "the last time..." it would be helpful if you said WHEN that last time was. Was it last month? or 10 years ago? It's hard to put any value on your comparisons otherwise.

My experience in Bangkok has been that yes there are many taxi drivers that do not want to use the meter. BUT, knowing that I ask them to use the meter (sometimes before I even get in the taxi). I have a general idea what a metered taxi will charge me to a few common places around town. For example, if I go shopping at Big C. I know its one stop on the MRT from my condo to the Big C (about 1km) and something like 15 or 18thb by MRT. If I have a lot of things, and take a metered taxi back - if there is no-light traffic, then it's about 40thb. If the traffic is heavy, then it could be around 60thb. I tuktuk charges typically 60thb for the same trip. About a year and a half ago they were charging about 40thb. About a year ago the price went up to 60thb. Now if the traffic is heavy, I'll take the tuktuk since they can get around the traffic easier than the metered taxi. And some will still ask for more, but then will settle/negotiate back to a more normal price.

I've never had a problem getting a taxi to use the meter. What I mean by that is if a driver says NO and won't negotiate to a reasonable flat rate, then I find another taxi, which in Bangkok is easy to do. Also, just because they don't want to use the meter, doesn't always mean they won't offer a fair flat rate.

Here are two recent examples:

About a month ago I met some visiting friends for drinks near Asok BTS/MRT. When I left it was around 12:30am, so MRT was closed. There were several taxis waiting along the street in front of the MRT station. I asked one to use the meter to HuaiKwang MRT station and he said NO, flat rate 120thb. I said no thank you. Someone else jumped into his taxi. I asked the next taxi, and he said flat rate 100thb. I offered 80thb and he said ok. So keep in mind that I know the taxi to go one MRT station is around 40-60thb, and the tuktuk charges 60thb to go one station. So to me 80thb late at night to go 4 MRT stations from Asok to HuayKwang was acceptable to ME. It may be more than a metered taxi would charge, but even at that hour there is traffic on Ratchada, so the price seemed fair enough for me. Even though he wouldn't use the meter, I feel the flat rate I offered and he accepted was fair enough.

A couple of weeks ago I needed a taxi from Ratchada HuayKwang to Suvarnaphumi Airport. Again the driver didn't want to use the meter. He offered a flat rate of 250thb including highway tolls. Was this higher than a metered ride? maybe a bit. But the last time I took a metered taxi back from the airport, in traffic was around 200thb plus the highway tolls. So 250thb in traffic, including the tolls was acceptable to me. Coming back from that trip, I arrived at the airport right around 3pm this past Friday. Knowing traffic would be horrendous, I chose to take the airport link and MRT. Total cost of the Airport Link Express to Makkasan + the MRT from there to HuayKwang was 110thb.

So, in Bangkok I typically have an idea of what I would consider a fair rate would be for me to take an unmetered taxi or tuktuk somewhere. But I know better than to try to assume that the prices will be or should be the same in every other area of Thailand. I know that if I am going somewhere I am unfamiliar with, then I would ask friends (Thai or farang) who may be more experienced with the area I am going to, so that I would know what to expect when I got there.

Edited by Keoni

The 'mafia' is an over ued word here, local bullies is more apt

I agree but down in Phuket they can get really ruff if you get into big trouble with the wrong taxi guys. its always hard to have to escape from an Island(If it comes to that)

Gobbledegook - you head up the highway north, past the airport turn-off (if not flying) and cross the Sarasin bridge to the mainland.

(2000 baht by tuk tuk 55555!).

I've never had a problem getting a taxi to use the meter.

About a month ago I met some visiting friends for drinks near Asok BTS/MRT. When I left it was around 12:30am, so MRT was closed. There were several taxis waiting along the street in front of the MRT station. I asked one to use the meter to HuaiKwang MRT station and he said NO, flat rate 120thb. I said no thank you. Someone else jumped into his taxi. I asked the next taxi, and he said flat rate 100thb. I offered 80thb and he said ok.

Seems like you did have trouble getting a taxi to use a meter. They have to by law and will be fined 1.000 baht for not agreeing to take you. Why not report the next one, but then you never have trouble getting a taxi to use a meter, or do you? Try outside Central world and see how that pans out. Here's a tip, never ask them if they will use the meter, that's just an invitation to say no.

I agree Tuk Tuk owners/drivers are scam. They all have same rate at minimum 100THB.Tuk tuk is much less cheaper than a car that is used as tax.i.Taxi operator has more maintenance cost , cost for radio operation etc. Taxi in Bangkok start with 35 THB and when you pay 100THB you really get somewhere. But TukTuk in Hua Hin is just a scam. Tourists do not bother to complain because they are there for a short time and want to enjoy their time. Expats seldom use tuk tuk either they have their car or scooters. So Tuk Tuk scamers continue ribbing off tourists.TAT , Hua Hin Council etc should regulate local transportation.

Complete and utter rubbish.

They should look to their own government and not the foreigners to sort out their financial problems.

The government have kept them down there for a reason. It is not the foreigners problem.

If you really believe your own drivel then do you also financially support all the other workers in Thailand that have no direct contact with foreigners ?

Example. a restaurant charges you 10 baht for some rice, do you give them 50 baht because its nearer to what you would pay in your country.

Or when you buy some rice in a Supermarket do you offer another 1000 baht ?

Why only support Tuk-tuk drivers ? what about everyone else ?

I often pay what I believe a product to be worth rather than its asking price. For example I always pay at least one British pound for a bunch of bananas from my fruit lady rather than the 50p she asks for.

They should look to their own government and not the foreigners to sort out their financial problems. - Yes, correct, unfortunately the poor have no one representing them and never have done.

• Like 1

Have you ever taken taxi in Bangkok? Aren't you pity them they only charge by the meter and go so many km s for 35 baht.They also make living.It is not about making lkiving it is about no regulating authority for local transport and tuk tuk drivers are using the opportunity.

Perhaps I misspoke or wasn't clear. I've had occasions where a taxi didn't want to use the meter. What I meant by "never had a problem..." was that I've always been able to easily and rather quickly get another taxi that would use the meter, OR negotiate a flat rate that I felt was fair enough for me to accept.

Regarding reporting taxis that won't use the meter, is this something that you do regularly? I'm not being sarcastic. I'm asking sincerely. What happens? What has this gotten you? Do you feel those complaints actually go anywhere? Has this improved your ability to get a metered taxi in your area?

I think I've only had one occasion, almost two years ago where I got into the taxi, told the driver where I wanted to go, and he started driving, and didn't turn on the meter. After a few seconds I "reminded" him to turn the meter on. He said no, and gave me a high flat rate. He would not negotiate to a fair rate, so I told him to stop and I got out and found another taxi within a few minutes.

For me, in the areas I go around to in Bangkok, I haven't been anywhere where I couldn't either get a metered taxi, or negotiate a fair rate (fair to me) in a taxi, or just get out and find another taxi quickly that would run the meter.

I've never had a problem getting a taxi to use the meter.

About a month ago I met some visiting friends for drinks near Asok BTS/MRT. When I left it was around 12:30am, so MRT was closed. There were several taxis waiting along the street in front of the MRT station. I asked one to use the meter to HuaiKwang MRT station and he said NO, flat rate 120thb. I said no thank you. Someone else jumped into his taxi. I asked the next taxi, and he said flat rate 100thb. I offered 80thb and he said ok.

Seems like you did have trouble getting a taxi to use a meter. They have to by law and will be fined 1.000 baht for not agreeing to take you. Why not report the next one, but then you never have trouble getting a taxi to use a meter, or do you? Try outside Central world and see how that pans out. Here's a tip, never ask them if they will use the meter, that's just an invitation to say no.

In Chiang Mai, the Tuk Tuk rate is 80B to most anywhere within a few KM.

I must say I am surprised at how many people are siding with the Tuk Tuk drivers in this debate.

Surprised me too. Taxi if you could find one would be same price. They have a monopoly on transport and use it. Resort town. Not as bad as Phuket I would think.

Bad shouldn't be compared to the worst.

What do you want a free ride to the bar where you will no doubt spend a couple of grand

I prefer to live and let live and refrain from telling people what to do or where to go.

The OP was sharing his experience and I doubt if he were looking for a relocation service.

The OP is not a tourist... going where I come from would be Bangkok. I tried to get a tuk tuk together with my Hua Hin native friends...

I feel that those who defend a 150 thb ride for less then a kilometer are totally out of touch, as is the poster claiming it needs over 1000 thb a day to feed a family.

Let me just guess who is the "tourist" here... or perhaps freshly arrived expat believing he knows it all...

By the way, carrying on believing we can milk tourists dry will have its répercussions. It already has actually, hordes of Europeans are replaced by Russians and Chinese. The are facts...

It is just not right to charge someone a "non usual" for any service provided.

But perhaps you also think that the tourist who paid 100,000 for a ring in "a jewellery" was also not cheated as he bought the ring out of free will.

Dear Mate. I tell you when you would said "they are cheaters". If they would informed you first about 50 THB fee then when you arrived they would changed the price to 150 THB. But this didn't happen to you.

You have got an offer about 150 THB and it was up to you, you take or don't.

If you took it you be a gentleman, and say: this was dam_n expensive and never again.

If you didn't, you say: it was much better to walk a Km and no-one looked me stupid.

But if you took it, and now you are crying here, this really cheap and pitiful. Man, you lost around 3.33 € but if I deduct the "normal" fee, 1.33 € this means you lost 2 /TWO/ €.

This is the reason you feel the comments are weird to your OP.

Edited by Loles
  • Like 1

I prefer to live and let live and refrain from telling people what to do or where to go.

The OP was sharing his experience and I doubt if he were looking for a relocation service.

The OP is not a tourist... going where I come from would be Bangkok. I tried to get a tuk tuk together with my Hua Hin native friends...

I feel that those who defend a 150 thb ride for less then a kilometer are totally out of touch, as is the poster claiming it needs over 1000 thb a day to feed a family.

Let me just guess who is the "tourist" here... or perhaps freshly arrived expat believing he knows it all...

By the way, carrying on believing we can milk tourists dry will have its répercussions. It already has actually, hordes of Europeans are replaced by Russians and Chinese. The are facts...

It is just not right to charge someone a "non usual" for any service provided.

But perhaps you also think that the tourist who paid 100,000 for a ring in "a jewellery" was also not cheated as he bought the ring out of free will.

Travel Dude - you had me until your last sentence.

Double pricing and the whole idea of bargaining is something I personally do not enjoy. But it's a fact that bargaining is a normal part of many different cultures. Just because I don't like it, doesn't mean it's wrong. It just means that I need to learn to play the game better when faced with it.

If someone buys something at an agreed upon price then are they being cheated? I guess it depends how you look at it. If that tourist bought a ring for 100,000thb, and that ring is made from precious metals and gemstones, then whether they were cheated or not may be a matter of perspective. The tourist could look at it and think "this ring would cost me twice this price back in my home country." The fact that maybe they could have gotten it for an even cheaper price here in Thailand is irrelevant to them. To them they still got a good deal and were not "cheated".

If they bought the ring and were told it was made from precious metals and gemstones, and in fact it was made from stainless steel and glass, THEN they were cheated.

If the casual American tourist is used to paying $8 USD (260thb) for Som Tum at their local Thai restaurant in America, will they feel cheated if they are charged $3 USD (100thb) for Som Tum in a Bangkok restaurant? I'd guess probably not.

From your perspective you may think they were "cheated" But from their perspective they were given a price, agreed on it, and to them it may still have been a bargain (compared to what they're used to paying). The fact that you know they could have paid 30thb at that little stand on XYZ soi doesn't mean they were cheated.

• Like 1

In the Sukhumvit area everytime I want to go somewhere I have to stop at least 4 taxis before I can get a meter. Sometimes even when they agree, once I am in the taxi they refuse. So I tell them to stop the taxi and let me out. So far that has worked but I don't count on it working in the future. Once when I arrived at Swampy the guy demanded the 50 Baht extra that you have to pay when you leave the airport. I started to call over a cop and he relented. And, yes, I do tip. Generously if the driver does an a especially good job Which does happen occasionally.

• Like 1