HUA HIN Tuk Tuk cheaters

Travel Dude

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Travel Dude - let me get this right.....

(1) ฿150 is too much for a short fare BUT....

(2) ฿1,000 is not a big enough fine for bad behaviour and it should be doubled to ฿2,000 or even ฿5,000 xermm.gif.pagespeed.ic.7f2Kr9k8HC.png

I tend to agree with (2) but it's a good thing not too many Hua Hin Tuk-Tuk drivers know what you're posting about them on this forum.

Edited by AverageAussie
  • Like 1

150 baht isnt that bad, what people are forgetting is that prices of basic foods and petrol have doubled in the past few years...if it was 400 I would agree with you but 150, you really need to get upto date on prices in Thaialnd...what did you expect to pay 30 baht???

Why not as that would be the thai price, 150 baht is just extortion

No Thai can get a Tuk Tuk for 30 Baht, they charge the same....

• Like 1

Please explain why you called them 'Cheaters' ? They gave you a price and you have the choice - what is your problem ?

There are no alternatives and they take advantage of that. No other choice than to take their 150 thb ride or walk. I would be curious to see what the reactions would be once a 35 thb metered taxi charges you 150 thb instead...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Please explain why you called them 'Cheaters' ? They gave you a price and you have the choice - what is your problem ?

There are no alternatives and they take advantage of that. No other choice than to take their 150 thb ride or walk. I would be curious to see what the reactions would be once a 35 thb metered taxi charges you 150 thb instead...

That has been happening a lot lately in Bangkok. Taxis refusing to use the meter and charging more.

That has been happening a lot lately in Bangkok. Taxis refusing to use the meter and charging more.

No it hasn't, there are, however, a tiny minority of drivers who do this.

Edited by MMarlow
  • Like 1

I have personal experience with this for many years. Refusing to accept passengers not going where they want, heck, many times just refusing any Thai person. Refusing to use the meter. This article discusses the problem. Obviously not a tiny minority.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/619443-bangkok-taxi-drivers-face-harsher-penalties-for-rejecting-passengers/

Hua Hin isnt Bangkok. Metered taxis run on LPG Tuk Tuks on benzine which is triple the cost. Metered taxis will almost be full all day and not have to wait 2 hours for a fare like Tuk Tuks, Song Taews in Pattaya take upto 12 people constantly full a lot of the time..compared to Samui and Phuket its cheap at the price. You really expect someone to take you for 30 baht.

Edited by PattayaPhom

It's not a minority in tourist areas or around central world, Sukumvit has always been OK but around the Royal Palace and Khao San they want 100's to go a short distance, all illegal of course

I would happily walk the kilometer

I can't remember the last time I took a tuk-tuk, I think the first week I was in Bangkok nearly 20 years back and that's it

The odd one from town to pier in dropping off points to beach but fare been ok. I walked most places in Hua Hin to be honest

I think from train station into the central part is less than 150, isn't it?

• Like 1

There are alternatives, there is a mototaxi stand 30 yards from the Centara which would have charged you 30-40 baht to Soi 82

An over-generalisation by Sparkles. A few towns in Issaan have been introducing affordable metered taxis. They are plentiful and have worked well in Ubon for the last year - not quite as cheap as Bangkok (which are uneconomically cheap IMO, hence you get refusals particularly in the evening) but not far off.

It's not a minority in tourist areas or around central world, Sukumvit has always been OK but around the Royal Palace and Khao San they want 100's to go a short distance, all illegal of course

Yet to know a capital city anywhere in the world where there is not a crew of taxi drivers who don't act like this. Never had a problem flagging down a taxi who will use his meter 99% of the time.. In Chinatown when it gets totally congested they often just signal "no" to farangs, if you can talk Thai they are usually happy to negotiate a reasonable price.