How do other nationalities view Thais and Thailand

laolover88

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you know how many Korean companies in Thailand use Thai engineers? Do you even know how many Korean companies are in Thailand? My wife works with Korean managers and owners of other Thai business on a daily basis. Do you know how many Koreans come to Thailand to play golf and have vacation homes here?
I have been playing golf with a lot of Koreans in Thailand. And they all tell me the reason they come here and do this is: because it's much much cheaper to play here. And also much more easy to get a start time at the golf courses here in Thailand.

They don't play golf here because they love Thai people

They like the food. They like the hotels. They like the golf courses. They like the prices. They like the caddies (yes I know). They spend more on the air fare and accommodations than they ever would on golf at home.

Are you beginning to understand something here? biggrin.png

No they don't spend more here. I suppose you are not a golfer and don't understand those prices.

One Week Air fair for man and wife 40,000 baht. Hotel for a week 14,000 baht. Food and entertainment, 20,000 baht. Green fees 14,000 golf cart, 4,000. Wife shopping 50,000. Green fees Korea 13.000 baht per day.

Ya sure.

You include entertainment, food and shopping for 50000 in the price ha ha ha ha. Obviously you know nothing and have never played golf

• Like 1

"But Koreans tend to have an inflated patriotic opinion of themselves".

Which nationality doesn't?

Canada

Ok, I'll give you that one. Any others?

I disagree. Canadians have a terribly inflated view of themselves.

Sincerely,

A Canadian living in Canada

I have an American friend that lived and taught English in Seoul for 2 years. He told me that Japan, South Korea, and China are at the top of the totem pole in Asia and he said that SouthEast Asia is considered the "Mexico" of Asia because most of Thais in countries like Korea and Japan are housemaids, nannies, or just cheap labor.

I want to make clear this is NOT my opinion and I don't agree with this at all. I think the are a lot of highly educated Thais and this bears out with the resistance of even foreign companies like Cisco hiring foreigners over locals for what are extremely technical positions. I was just responding to the OPs question from the perspective of someone who lived in South Korea (specifically Seoul). I think that every country/culture is ethnocentric to some degree and especially when it comes to their neighbors.

I have an American friend that lived and taught English in Seoul for 2 years. He told me that Japan, South Korea, and China are at the top of the totem pole in Asia and he said that SouthEast Asia is considered the "Mexico" of Asia because most of Thais in countries like Korea and Japan are housemaids, nannies, or just cheap labor.

I want to make clear this is NOT my opinion and I don't agree with this at all. I think the are a lot of highly educated Thais and this bears out with the resistance of even foreign companies like Cisco hiring foreigners over locals for what are extremely technical positions. I was just responding to the OPs question from the perspective of someone who lived in South Korea (specifically Seoul). I think that every country/culture is ethnocentric to some degree and especially when it comes to their neighbors.

2nd paragraph, 2nd sentence.....interesting....

In here Hong Kong people love Thailand,in fact Thailand is among our top 5 most favorite travel destinations.

But unlike me,most people here won't consider moving to Thailand or dating Thai girl/boy(deep down inside they more or less look down on Thai people).

And yes there are some Thai housemaids in HK but I wouldn't say many,and the number is decreasing.By the way Housemaids here are mostly from Indonesia and Philippines,they make about 500usd per month.

As for me,marry a Thai girl and spend the rest of my life in Thailand is my goal.

• Like 1

In here Hong Kong people love Thailand,in fact Thailand is among our top 5 most favorite travel destinations.

But unlike me,most people here won't consider moving to Thailand or dating Thai girl/boy(deep down inside they more or less look down on Thai people).

And yes there are some Thai housemaids in HK but I wouldn't say many,and the number is decreasing.By the way Housemaids here are mostly from Indonesia and Philippines,they make about 500usd per month.

As for me,marry a Thai girl and spend the rest of my life in Thailand is my goal.

why get married tho?

that is so, 20th century?

unless it is this girl,

according to the 4,000 ads on my pages now, I would consider marrying her,

and then going broke trying to keep her

after all, the internet ad says she is a writer, explorer and visionary, who wouldnt want her?

post-192707-0-69238200-1397588898_thumb.

Edited by Scarpolo

Ladyboys. Hookers. STD's. Nonces. Fake scamming wives. Dirty old men. Ping pong balls.

I rarely mention the place when in Blighty. Doing so just invokes the same tired old responses.

Sorry folks but that's just my experience over the past 13 years of being between both the UK and Thailand.

We learn to live with it.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Do you know how many Korean companies in Thailand use Thai engineers? Do you even know how many Korean companies are in Thailand? My wife works with Korean managers and owners of other Thai business on a daily basis. Do you know how many Koreans come to Thailand to play golf and have vacation homes here?
I have been playing golf with a lot of Koreans in Thailand. And they all tell me the reason they come here and do this is: because it's much much cheaper to play here. And also much more easy to get a start time at the golf courses here in Thailand.

They don't play golf here because they love Thai people

They like the food. They like the hotels. They like the golf courses. They like the prices. They like the caddies (yes I know). They spend more on the air fare and accommodations than they ever would on golf at home.

Are you beginning to understand something here? biggrin.png

No they don't spend more here. I suppose you are not a golfer and don't understand those prices.

One Week Air fair for man and wife 40,000 baht. Hotel for a week 14,000 baht. Food and entertainment, 20,000 baht. Green fees 14,000 golf cart, 4,000. Wife shopping 50,000. Green fees Korea 13.000 baht per day.

Ya sure.

You include entertainment, food and shopping for 50000 in the price ha ha ha ha. Obviously you know nothing and have never played golf

The wife comes along. She tries to arrange activities after playing golf so the men don't go to bars. The wife goes shopping. The wife schedules religious (Baptist) English courses for the couple so the man will not go to bars. The guy goes to a bar anyway. The Korean males have quite a reputation in Thai bars.

Bottom line is green fees Korea 10,000 to 13,000 baht. Green fees Thailand 4,000 plus 40,000 baht round trip airfare for a couple.

Koreans look down at the Thais thinking of them as "low".

I'd have to agree with the assertion from Koreans, although I'm not Korean. I lived there for 4 years and when I was making the transition to Thailand, the Koreans were shocked I'd move from their country to work here. But Koreans tend to have an inflated patriotic opinion of themselves.

Koreans look down on everyone same as Japan

Very similar to the Thais.

Koreans look down at the Thais thinking of them as "low".

I'd have to agree with the assertion from Koreans, although I'm not Korean. I lived there for 4 years and when I was making the transition to Thailand, the Koreans were shocked I'd move from their country to work here. But Koreans tend to have an inflated patriotic opinion of themselves.

Koreans look down on everyone same as Japan

Very similar to the Thais.

The UN Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination has expressed concern at persistent ethnocentric thinking in South Korea. "There was a genuine fear that overemphasis on and excessive pride in the ethnic homogeneity of Korea might be an obstacle to the realization of equal treatment and respect for foreigners and people belonging to different races and cultures.

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2007/08/20/2007082061011.html

"But Koreans tend to have an inflated patriotic opinion of themselves".

Which nationality doesn't?

Canada

Scotland....we are always to drunk to worry.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thank you for that little tidbit. Also you count airfares and entertainment into a golf trip to Thailand. That is fine but what about including that if a Korean living in Seoul flies into Pusan to play? To do every single activity you have mentioned is more expensive in Korea.

Now let's get back on topic to what others think of Thais not what the UN thinks of Koreans. I am not so certain what most people think actually of Thais themselves but know what a lot of people think of Thailand. The general consensus seems to be is dirty, 3rd world place full of pedophiles, drugs and hookers. For some people this is actually a positive thing and why the come here. The recent instability doesn't help the cause. Maybe it would be more helpful just for each poster to say where they are from and their thoughts on Thais. That way we could just give our opinion and not fight about it, as you can not tell me what my opinion is.

I am American and think that Thais are a bit arrogant, materialistic, money grubbing and under educated. On the other hand they are alright if you come here with a bit of cash and know what the deal is. I do not care what anybody says about my nationality here as that is beyond the scope of this topic. These are also my personal opinions so there is absolutely nothing to refute in my last statement. In short Thai people are the nicest people money can buy. So what am I doing here? I am on holiday taking advantage of the relatively cheap resorts, food and services. I am more interested in the economic advantages I get from traveling here than anything else. The fact that anybody thai happens to live here is really quite irrelevant to my reasons for being here. I suspect I am not alone in this thinking.

Missed quoting the link to the UN article on Koreans the OP put on earlier in the thread.

Edited by anotheruser
  • Like 1

Difficult to stick to the point ain't it!?

One poster said that 'most countries/peoples are to a degree ethnocentric'. I am sure that is true. There is currently a debate in the UK as to whether you are 'Proud to be British', . Jury out on this one. This at the same time as a significant % of people in the UK and Europe think their children will have a worse life than themselves.

Thailand is very keen on 'preserving' and 'protecting' (and massaging) its public image. One thing I was wondering was what people thought that 'image' was; preferably based on experience and not the tired cliches. And also in their dealings with Thais and Thailand what impressions and attitudes do people acquire. Do Koreans really think Thailand is a golf course with beaches? Of course there are related questions: what self opinion do people anywhere have of themselves, their ethnicity and their country? There was a debate a while ago about Thainess and what it means to be Thai; which of course supposes that there is something that differentiates Thais from others. One of the reasons why there has over many years been such an aggresive campaign to identify and promote Thainess is that Thailand is a mish mash of dozens of cultures, languages and ethnic groups. Where I live most people speak, Vietnamese, Lao, Phu Thai, Passa Yor and Mandarin. Of course they can speak Thai but often not as first language.

Edited by laolover88

Other asian countries don't think or care one bit about thailand or thai people ... same as thai people don't think about Korean's , chinese ... etc...

Another stupic topic about nothing ..... coffee1.gif

I can think of 8 Korean channels that are broadcast on TV in Thailand but no Thai programs that are broadcast on TV in Korea. I think Thai girls think Korean guys are cute but I don't think Korean girls think Thai guys are cute. Me I like the hats the men wear in the Korean costume dramas.

Unlike other countries having already established their own places in the world system under the "white-man's burden" mission in the 19th century, Thais today are just in the process of self-identifination, which has been in turn delayed for more than a century.
That we are now asking how other nationalities view Thais and Thailand is self-explanatory, though.

Scarpolo - "I have a friend living here 15 years, he pays 700 baht a month rent for a big townhouse, and gets around his bubble very inexpensively, and he lives like a miser."

And where is this big townhouse for 700bht a month?

Scarpolo - "I have a friend living here 15 years, he pays 700 baht a month rent for a big townhouse, and gets around his bubble very inexpensively, and he lives like a miser."

And where is this big townhouse for 700bht a month?

sorry, misquote

its 7,000 baht,

jet jet gow

Other asian countries don't think or care one bit about thailand or thai people ... same as thai people don't think about Korean's , chinese ... etc...

Another stupic topic about nothing ..... coffee1.gif

I can think of 8 Korean channels that are broadcast on TV in Thailand but no Thai programs that are broadcast on TV in Korea. I think Thai girls think Korean guys are cute but I don't think Korean girls think Thai guys are cute. Me I like the hats the men wear in the Korean costume dramas.

Actually, there are a few famous Thai's that Korean girls love.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nichkhun. <- this guy is one of them. My Korean music producer friend and my wife were discussing this last time we were in Seoul. I really wish I paid more attention to the conversation, who knew it would have come in handy two years later.

Thais have a different way of thinking. I'm not implying anything good or bad there, but they absolutely have a unique way of doing things. Meanwhile, most of the people from neighboring countries have an attitude that's more similar to what you find in the west. In turn, they seem to have a lot of the same frustrations with Thais that you tend to see expressed on this forum.

Thais have a different way of thinking. I'm not implying anything good or bad there, but they absolutely have a unique way of doing things. Meanwhile, most of the people from neighboring countries have an attitude that's more similar to what you find in the west. In turn, they seem to have a lot of the same frustrations with Thais that you tend to see expressed on this forum.

A different way of thinking? Like what?

• Like 1

Not an easy question to answer in a short amount of time. But there have certainly been numerous posts (and a few legit novels) on the topic. Off the top of my head, I'd say the most glaring example is Thais don't like to (or just can't) be straightforward. This probably leads a lot of people to suspect Thais aren't being honest with them.I don't have a lot of time at the moment to go into detail, but if you've been here for any amount of time, you know what I'm talking about.

Again, not implying anything good or bad here. Not saying anyone's better or worse. Just different. I'm well aware for every foreigner that complains about this indirect interaction, there's at least ten Thais wondering why foreigners are so direct and need to know details about everything.

• Like 1

Not an easy question to answer in a short amount of time. But there have certainly been numerous posts (and a few legit novels) on the topic. Off the top of my head, I'd say the most glaring example is Thais don't like to (or just can't) be straightforward. This probably leads a lot of people to suspect Thais aren't being honest with them.I don't have a lot of time at the moment to go into detail, but if you've been here for any amount of time, you know what I'm talking about.

Again, not implying anything good or bad here. Not saying anyone's better or worse. Just different. I'm well aware for every foreigner that complains about this indirect interaction, there's at least ten Thais wondering why foreigners are so direct and need to know details about everything.

lets face it,

bangkok is a big city, so it has many big city distrusts in it.

its warranted and we are the outsiders ad everyone knows why we are there, and what we are doing

lets face it,

bangkok is a big city, so it has many big city distrusts in it.

its warranted and we are the outsiders ad everyone knows why we are there, and what we are doing

What's that then?