Bar work BS

jimBaaaa

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of Euro workers in Koh Phi Phi when I was there.

They're PR girls and help bring in more punters.

One actually PR'd for a tattoo parlour.

And when I say bring in more punters I mean young backpackers/holidaymakers. Not sex tourists lol

Just like what they do in Ibiza, etc.

Edited by finy

i'm on holiday in Hua Hin , i see farang working in many restaurants ,serving beers and food ,doing the "check bins......

They stand behind the counters , and work openly .This i have never seen in Pattaya.

Try the Russian go go bars on Walking street.

All nonsense, the best she or anyone could manage would be 90 days, 60 day visa plus 30 extension.

Under the recent changes, in theory she could get 30 on arrival, go get a 60 day tourist visa outside thailand then extend that by 30 days, that would cover the 4 months.

Non-Immigrant Visa gives you 90 days and you can make a 30 days extension - voila close to 4 months.

Bye,

Derk

i'm on holiday in Hua Hin , i see farang working in many restaurants ,serving beers and food ,doing the "check bins......

They stand behind the counters , and work openly .This i have never seen in Pattaya.

They have a menu below 20 000 bht ?

And they still beat you up if you dont offer champagne to every lady ?

Looks a great idea!coffee1.gif

They have a menu below 20 000 bht ?

And they still beat you up if you dont offer champagne to every lady ?

Looks a great idea!coffee1.gif

You said you had never seen Farang work in Pattaya. I just thought I'd tell you where to look. coffee1.gif

Not possible, in thailand a falang cannot take a job a Thai can do .

But a thai would gladly do a job a falang can do in the uk for half the wage.

Not possible for most Thais to get a visa to go to UK for employment or any other reason.

But hordes of unqualified British, Americans, Australians would gladly come to Thailand on the pretense of teaching English or doing anything else that gets them meager compensation and an extended holiday away from UK, US or Oz ... as many threads on Thai Visa illustrate.

article-1134463-033E35DB000005DC-207_468

• Like 1

If a place is Thai owned, zero farang involved, and the owner wants farang worker (manager, responsible, call it what u want), is it difficult for the thai to obtain WP for the farang ?

Additional Q: is the Thai also forced to employ a minimum number of Thai for the WP of the farang ?

Edited by stickylies

i think she got a bit confused about (or just forgot) what visa / work permit she actually had - if she's a regular backpacker and travelling all round she probably got mixed up with other countries or just because her brain is damaged by drink, drugs and meditation

A work permit can only be issued in Thailand. A visa to apply for one can be issued outside, but working in a bar in any position that is not in the role of a supervisor is not allowed. I had a friend who owned a bar a customer/friend came in just as they opened he handed him a beer told him it was on the house. The Thai owner of the next bar saw and apparently took a picture then phoned immigration. He lost his visa, work permit and bar.

if you ask her if she's really sure about all these details because you want to analyze and discuss the details of her case on a thailand focused web forum with some thailand based expats and regular visitors, she will admit she barely remembers (nor cares much) what visa she had or exactly how much she got paid... i guess she did go to thailand but the rest is a bit of blur in her mind

I only know of one person who had something similar set up for her, but she worked at a large international resort and they could make the visa for her as she speaks a few Asian languages fluently. So, she actually did serve drinks and things like that along with her guiding duties. Work in a little bar like the one pictured in earlier posts, though? And 30,000 a month? Seems weird--especially the amount. Why would a bar owner pay a foreign woman 30k a month when a local worker would go for less than 1/3 of that?

Edited by dao16

Why then...do they have foreigners working the bars on Walking Street...Pattaya...?

• Like 1

Why then...do they have foreigners working the bars on Walking Street...Pattaya...?

surely, these are in bars that are well "protected"

there are no rules for those guys

She might have done it but it was definately illegal.

She isn't even good looking, maybe she though I wouldn't know the rules and she could make any old BS up. Funny thing is she said, I quote her " I don't know where you heard that foreigners cannot work in Thailand".

When I see her in work again I'm going to interrogate her till I get the truth out of her, silly girl.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ok, so shes bsing. Why buy into it though. Why not just roll your eyeballs and move on?

"Interrogate her" ..good grief.

I think not impossible. Not lots, but many farangs are working serving in restaurants and entertainment (bars) at Samui (and why not Phangan also?) to give foreign customers a better service. Even see farangs standing in street helping foreign guest with reading menu and try to get them inside a trendy restaurant. 30,000 b/m is not an extremely high wage; Thais can earn the same (or more) just serving some of those places – and no other “services” than food and/or drinks are “on the menu”. wink.png

yes,its possible to do the work but not the visa.I was a scuba instructor for years on different islands and a lot of farang,worked the bars as bartenders.you need to realize some of the islands only have a few police.Koh Chang has maby 10 ,phi phi 5 and Kohphang not a lot.. The visa now that's BS only get the 90 days

T.I.T. where the definition of 'illegal' is subject to interpretation...LOL.

A friend's parked car was hit by a motorbike - Police claimed it was his fault - visit to court required a fine.

Years ago, a monthly payment to the Immigration Supervisor was enough to get 90 day extensions - indefinitely - yes, Bangkok was informed officially, but never responded.

TV has had many similar stories posted.

T.I.T. where there is always a 'work around' if you are willing to pay for it.

SO, IMHO, the story is plausible

T.I.T. where the definition of 'illegal' is subject to interpretation...LOL.

A friend's parked car was hit by a motorbike - Police claimed it was his fault - visit to court required a fine.

Years ago, a monthly payment to the Immigration Supervisor was enough to get 90 day extensions - indefinitely - yes, Bangkok was informed officially, but never responded.

TV has had many similar stories posted.

T.I.T. where there is always a 'work around' if you are willing to pay for it.

SO, IMHO, the story is plausible

How is the story plausible ?

Even your own examples are those of illegal activities.

Just because it happens does not make it legal.

Edited by Spoonman

Would guess she may have got a non-b visa and thought this "business visa" also allowed her to work...

Have seen more than a few newbie posting misunderstanding eh the same..

Also possible to get a WP as Food and Bev manager or front house manager or similar...

So if the restaurant was being creative with the job description... Entirely possible

Only thing that doesn't make a lot of sense is why only 4 months? Can't believe the restaurant would be willing to go through the work permit process for just a 4 month employment contract...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like bs , she probably worked illegally , if at all ,

Well if she was "flogging the fish trap" then she could well have been bringing in Bht 30,000 mth, but i bet the cops took their share plus a free ride occaisionally. Ask her, see what she says.wai.gif