Thai Transport adopts safety standard on double-decker bus

webfact

One recommendation should be that the front windows not be covered in advertising stickers, leaving a very small uncovered area for the driver to see through. thumbsup.gif

The Thai driver doesn't need to see through the front window, he knows the way......

Divine guidance ? wai.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptXUXgG4cA.gif

Well since Thailand is not the only country in the world that built busses some other countrys have many years of experience designing and building complete ones

They could just ask for expertise from one of those companys

Asking for help? Nah... Asking for help from another country? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Typical failed thinking in Thailand, rather than addressing the cause of the accidents they opt to accept the accidents but somehow try and adapt the buses to prevent injury when they happen

The vehicles should be tested for road worthiness and the drivers made to go through extensive testing and training and regulations put in place to stop them working long hours

There is not a day goes by when I'm on the roads here and don't see at least one of these buses breaking speed limits and driving like a lunatic on steroids

What about the ones already on the road! These have been built to poor standards. Too high and narrow. At speed you can see them tilting.

That's exactly what I was going to say.

How exactly would DLT be proposing to "fix" an existing bus that's been built too high and with too narrow a wheelbase?

Like a couple of recent incidents, have the driver drive under a low overpass and simply knock off the upper portion of the double decker???

I'd bet a year from now, these exact same death traps will still be on the highways, same as usual.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Thailand leads the world in all aspects of transport and safety be it via road rail or air Thailand leads in everything the rest of the world follows in envy.

Well since Thailand is not the only country in the world that built busses some other countrys have many years of experience designing and building complete ones
They could just ask for expertise from one of those companys

Asking for help? Nah... Asking for help from another country? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Thailand leads the world in all aspects of transport and safety be it via road rail or air Thailand leads in everything the rest of the world follows in envy.

I would like to see a "double blind" study conducted wherein the drivers of these buses (and minivans) were replaced with trained monkeys. It is my FIRM belief that the frequency of fatal accidents would decrease significantly.

Trained monkeys don't drink alcohol or take ya ice. They also don't have a misguided sense of self importance or a petulant and vindictive demeanor.

• Like 1

My bus crashed once in Thailand(not a double decker)after driving over a big dog, the wheel was lose and we later crashed even though they had changed the wheel(Long story) but the driver looked so tired he drank easily over 8 red bulls and 3 more after changing bus(everybody were chocked that the same driver drove the new bus haha he looked so zombie tired)2 tourist got minor inguries from the broken windows. anyway when it happens. you feel helpless It dosnt matter if youre the biggest strongest guy and lift maximum weights in the gym. you will fly out of your seat and even harder without seatbelt. BTW without those trees many in the bus would not live today, these trees are incredibly strong, first they bent and then they lifted the bus up again, otherwise we would smash into traffic on the opposite side of the road. I ALWAYS use seatbelt after that feeling. people can say what they I couldnt care less thumbsup.gif

My Bangkok in-laws gave me the honour of coming to Sattahip to bless me for Songkran. They then took me for a meal, a good hour and a quarters drive away. The vehicle is a state of the art 'People Carrier'? fitted with seat belts. All the passenger belts still nicely wrapped in plastic.Except for me, nobody attempted to use their belt, but I insisted that my wife use hers as is our habit. When I finally got the thing unwrapped we were ten minutes into the journey and the driver stayed in the outside lane (maybe it was to avoid the water throwers and weaving motorcycles) except when he decided to come up the inside at traffic lights. Or to keep on the right, even though he could see traffic turning right, and then squeezing in. Here is an educated man with a high flying job who I would expect to abide by the law. But the simple answer is the usual T.I.T. I suppose. I had started to urge the family to fasten their belts, but as usual told not to make waves. "We don't want to break the relationship do we"w00t.gif

• Like 1

The only way to ensure less accidents on Thai buses is to wait until the technology for driverless vehicles is fully developed.... I am sure most of the accidents are due to humans and their driving ability.

Until then any sort of transport in Thailand requires 20+ amulets & good luck :)

• Like 1

The cause of the high accident rate has nothing to do with the roads, design, or the drivers, everyone has overlooked the most important factor that causes all accidents, "brake failure".

There are more reasons for brake failure than a mechanical one and you can't leave out the way a driver uses the vehicles brakes on a winding mountainous road.

The cause of the high accident rate has nothing to do with the roads, design, or the drivers, everyone has overlooked the most important factor that causes all accidents, "brake failure".

There are more reasons for brake failure than a mechanical one and you can't leave out the way a driver uses the vehicles brakes on a winding mountainous road.

Actually I was being facetious. Possibly you have never noticed anytime there is a bus accident / fatality "brake failure" is sighted as the reason.

And yes there are a number of reasons for brake failure - but bear in mind it is probably "driver failure" (stupidity) as the leading cause.

The Land Transport Department (LTD) is in the process of putting in place new stricter standards for double-decker passenger vehicles, By sacking all the unqualified untrained drivers.

True or wishful thinking?

Actually I was being facetious. Possibly you have never noticed anytime there is a bus accident / fatality "brake failure" is sighted as the reason.

And yes there are a number of reasons for brake failure - but bear in mind it is probably "driver failure" (stupidity) as the leading cause.

Yes ,I realise that although I wanted to point out to others that haven't driven heavy vehicles that brake failure is often caused by the way a vehicle is driven.

Also I agree with your following post that it is wishfull thinking while it may reduce some deaths and injuries,it will do nothing to stop the crashes happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzwXNvMyZd8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzwXNvMyZd8

What about the ones already on the road! These have been built to poor standards. Too high and narrow. At speed you can see them tilting.

That's exactly what I was going to say.

How exactly would DLT be proposing to "fix" an existing bus that's been built too high and with too narrow a wheelbase?

Like a couple of recent incidents, have the driver drive under a low overpass and simply knock off the upper portion of the double decker???

I'd bet a year from now, these exact same death traps will still be on the highways, same as usual.