Is it illegal to modify a motorcycle in Thailand?

papa al

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Depends what's been modified, and in what way. Change of colour also needs to be legally changed at the DoLT.

Modified or after market exhausts need pass testing to be legal. Some after market exhausts have already been passed when you buy them and have a TIS stamp on them to show that they are legal. Without this stamp the exhaust is illegal.

Edited by Som wat

I would say if your in A big city,Bangkok,ChiangMai etc,maybe so.If your in A non populated something like Loei,or Pai probably not.In an area like Korat,KhonKaen or Udon,who knows.

That would be down to enforcement, or lack of it. The laws are the same nationwide.

Thats the point there are all the laws but no enforcement. I transferred about 4 bikes which were all modified into my name by myself at the DLT. Had to pass ”inspection” all the time, once i was even ask to fire it up because he wanted to hear the sound in return i got a smile. Driving around bkk for 6 years never been fined for mods just for the usual bs. Its not legal thou....

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks for the feedback.

1. Color changes need be registered.

2. Enforcement is inconsistant/arbitrary.

3. 'Some mods are legal and others are not.' Is this iterated in the legal codes? My lawyer has no idea.

Further research is called for.

Why the rude comment on something you obviously know nothing about?

Colour changes of a vehicle should be registered at the Dept of Land and Transport.

Failure to do so lays you open to a fine.

100% correct apetley.

My bike was Black and the book said it was Red. Copper tried to extort Bt.2000 from me.

He did not get it and I went home and painted the bike red (heavily modified so easier to change colour than deal with the transport dept).

^

How can your lawyer have 'no idea'? Some mods that potentially affect safety, noise, and emissions need to have TIS approval to be road-legal in Thailand- this approval will be noted on the item itself- parts like tires/wheels/exhausts are subject to certain regulations that are clearly noted and easy to find.

Do a Google search on 'Thailand TIS approved motorcycle' and you'll find translated info in about 30 seconds.

Time to find a new lawyer...;)

Thanks for the feedback.

3. 'Some mods are legal and others are not.' Is this iterated in the legal codes? My lawyer has no idea.

you actually went to a lawyer with these questions?? just for interest what was the fee for this service

Thanks for the feedback.

Don't forget to inform your insurance company

i remember 10 odd years ago the craze was for teenagers to take every unnecessary part off their motorcycle. and for them to tinker with the exhaust so they would scream around the streets, thankfully that has stopped.

That craze has defiantly not stopped in Phuket.

Colour changes of a vehicle should be registered at the Dept of Land and Transport.

100% correct apetley.

My bike was Black and the book said it was Red. Copper tried to extort Bt.2000 from me.

He did not get it and I went home and painted the bike red (heavily modified so easier to change colour than deal with the transport dept).

A cop wrote me out a ticket for changing the color. 300 baht fine. I went to the DLT the next day and officially updated the color in the book. 55 baht. It wasn't a hassle.

Seen plenty of Harleys modified from stock in Pattaya , think I passed a shop where it was being done so as a guess I would say as long as it can pass inspection and has correct color as registered its not a problem.

100% correct apetley.

A cop wrote me out a ticket for changing the color. 300 baht fine. I went to the DLT the next day and officially updated the color in the book. 55 baht. It wasn't a hassle.

Good for you. we obviously have different circumstances hence it was easier for me to change the colour.

I had a friend get a ticket for painting the bike and not registering it.

Any colour change on any registered vehicle has to have the book changed to reflect this which is understandable.

plenty of harleys around here that have had the mufflers removed, but they congregate at a bar that plays music till sunrise, not to mention waking up the whole neighborhood when they depart, so I think its legal if you are mates with the local policeman

Thanks for the feedback.

Well it obviously depends on what mods.

Change exhaust system to an exhaust that hasn't been passed by the DoLT, illegal.

Changing the hand grips, no, not illegal.

More grey areas than a pensioner.

I drive/ride a saleng which is a 100% illegal modification. I know a couple of local cops and have a friend who knows most on Samui all the way to the top. So long as I wear a helmet and stay off highways (there are none on Samui) then I should have no problem at all. I've been through a couple of checkpoints and been waved on even though it is patently obvious that it is illegal.

To say again, ALWAYS wear a helmet regardless.

Led lights legal except any flashing white & red( posing as a cop or ambulance) Front headlight need to be original xenon bulbs seem legal or not up to a cops disgression. turn indicators should be amber & tail light needs to have red brake light. Legal to put in a LED strip lights if they do not alternate red & white in the rear lens. Any motor change needs to be re-registered at the inspection station . If it is a different motor than stock IE: 1000 Kawasaki engine in a 650 frame it needs to be emissioned & saftey'd & re-registered in the green book. The paint needs to be re-registered to new paint. I have no idea why I have painted 1000's of cars in the U.S. with different or custom colors & they can care less as long as the VIN numbers on the engine & frame match. But this is Thailand & not much logic to anything!

I had two big bikes and both were completely modified. Even my "screaming Eagle" mufflers were approved.

If you're talking about modifications of your engine to make it faster, it won't be a problem. Ride to Live. Live to Ride.-wai2.gif

I have a curiosity question for this thread, does anyone else get a photo taken off their bike at the DLT inspection station and loaded on the database against their registration information? It didn't bother me whatsoever, I'm just curious. :)

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

This interests me also,, I'm considering buying an older bike, and customizing it myself,,, some "real" answers would be great,,,

Well ruddy hell.

Tell us what parts you are considering customizing, for a start. blink.png