Not in the moat!

CMfoodie

Written by Chiang Mai expat Denis Gray from AP

By DENIS D. GRAY | Associated Press |

CHIANG MAI, Thailand (AP) — The bucolic, once laid-back campus of one of Thailand's top universities is under a security clampdown. Not against a terrorist threat, but against Chinese tourists.

Thousands have clambered aboard student buses at Chiang Mai University, made a mess in cafeterias and sneaked into classes to attend lectures. Someone even pitched a tent by a picturesque lake. The reason: "Lost in Thailand," a 2012 slapstick comedy partly shot on campus that is China's highest-grossing homegrown movie ever.

http://www.newser.com/article/85d224d4d516444f994389ce1347843a/not-in-the-moat-chinese-tourists-with-no-experience-abroad-irk-locals-in-thailand-elsewhere.html

coffee1.gif

CMU have organized buses and people behave just fine.

Kudos for recognizign that CMU is actually "the awesome park that Chiang Mai never had". Not many Farlungs managed to realize that. (I rarely see Westerners there for recreation.)

post-64232-0-22165200-1397608882_thumb.j post-64232-0-38613200-1397608887_thumb.j post-64232-0-21225800-1397608892_thumb.j post-64232-0-40432900-1397608897_thumb.j post-64232-0-17786000-1397608903_thumb.j

If someone is interested I can point out the best places; it's a large area.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

coffee1.gif

Kudos for recognizign that CMU is actually "the awesome park that Chiang Mai never had". Not many Farlungs managed to realize that. (I rarely see Westerners there for recreation.)

attachicon.gif0.jpg attachicon.gif1.jpg attachicon.gif3.jpg attachicon.gif4.jpg attachicon.gif5.jpg

Just where on the campus would you have to go to get the tour bus. Also Time if you have that information?

Thanks for the info Winnie.

coffee1.gif

attachicon.gif0.jpg attachicon.gif1.jpg attachicon.gif3.jpg attachicon.gif4.jpg attachicon.gif5.jpg

Nice pics, WTK. Looks like you put a lot of effort into following those Chinese girls around CMU and photographing them from a distance.

SULLY:  Stalker, huh? HEALY:  Big time.

smile.png

Edited by mesquite
  • Like 1

Does that mean the Chinese tourists are no longer shitting in the moat?

From the OP link:

The low point in local-tourist relations here in Thailand's second-largest city was likely a photograph widely seen on the Internet of a person, purportedly Chinese, defecating in the city's ancient moat.

cm.jpg

Edited by semester

^ Right, but who -as it turned out- wasn't Chinese at all, but a Thai person with a mental health challenge.

This however does not stop people from reposting the picture and persist in xenophobic remarks at the expense of tourists from China. (Includes Thais and Westerners alike)

coffee1.gif

Just where on the campus would you have to go to get the tour bus. Also Time if you have that information?

I've seen them at the main entrance on Huay Kaew Road, just inside the CMU gate. (Regular red bus songthaews, but apparently there to take tourists around.)

However it's of course much better to just drive yourself if you have transportation.