Democrat leader Abhisit looks forward to political vacuum

webfact

I remember reading there were 15 or so other serious charges outstanding against Thaksin. All waiting for his return, In some cases, not sure how many, I remember reading the courts had issued warrants after he failed to attend hearings.

So, there is one conviction, 15 pending court cases, plus any under investigation not yet put before the courts.There is also the possibility of ICJ interest in the war on drugs and Tak Bai massacres.

Guess it's easy to see the attraction of a whitewash all, let's pretend they never happened and start again approach is so appealing, and necessary. Of course he could appeal the conviction (bit hard to do after several years on the run mind!), launch a robust defense against the other charges in court, and hope the ICJ lose interest. For some reason, he only seems interest in the former. Any thoughts why?

Cut the crap. The ICJ has no interest in the legal activities that were used to stop the narco terrorist cartels in Thailand. Multiple inquiries by Thaksin's opponents couldn't support any of the allegations. The mistakes and errors during the operations were due to military and police errors.

As for the Tak Bai deaths, the military was in charge of all security operations and it was the military that was responsible for any wrongdoing.

In respect to the charges you reference, nothing precludes the charges from being brought in absentia. The failure of a defendant to appear to answer charges, is not an acceptable defense. If no charges have been prosecuted it is because there isn't a case or more likely because the former military dictatorship and its Democrat party successor didn't have a pot to piss in.

• Like 1

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said that proposed resolutions to the months-long political crisis cannot begin unless Thailand is a state of political vacuum"

What political crisis?....Coup advocacy does not a political crisis make.

"Proposed resolutions?".........Does he mean humoring Coup advocates? Does he mean the establishment of a Civilian Dictatorship has room for negotiations?

I keep talking about the need for the DP to "reform itself before elections"....One significant reform would obviously mean a change of leadership and this quote simply affirms that necessity....

For competitive elections to happen, the DP needs to extend their voting appeal beyond where it is currently. In other words, they need to make electoral in-roads to the very people whose votes he is currently seeking to nullify by rendering them irrelevant....via his desire for a "political vacuum"......................Not smart.

Consider the alternative......Respect those votes, validate them and the decisions they have rendered, and move to the next level....development of policies attractive to the various electoral segments, nation wide...and get out there to sell them.......

Simply a matter of a progressive positive approach vs. a negative, political dismantling approach which "kicks voters in the head"......Why is that so difficult for the anti-Democrat DP to understand.........Does being in bed with the "Lumpini coup advocates" pretending to be protesters and anti-Govt., advance their electoral prospects?.....You answer that.

The answer is easy, deport all people who continue to attack the monarchy and who keep supporting violent groups like the UDD.

Oops, that will put you on top of the list.....

Those who resent Abhisit tend to dislike the fact that he's appealing, educated, speaks cautiously and articulately and is well liked in Bangkok and the South. They much prefer a man who lives in a hotel room in Dubai, administers through skype, makes his views heard whether people want to hear them or not, is continually interfering and imposing his views regarding his mistrust of the judicial process, prompting others to do the same, and who has invested in gold mines in Uganda, and in platinum and gold in South Africa, Zimbabwe, and Tanzania. That's their man. Well, they can keep him.

For those who do not believe that an administration should be directed from sykpe oversees, will likely take an interest in what Mr. Abhisit has to say. He is cautious to a degree that Thaksin or his lawyer, Noppadon never is. Unlike them, he is not entertaining any scenarios that are intended to undercut the upcoming ruling of the Constitutional Court. He is waiting to see what they have to say. And he is clearly prepared to adhere to their judgement. As should we all.

"Those who resent Abhisit tend to dislike the fact that he's appealing, educated, speaks cautiously and articulately and is well liked in Bangkok and the South."

Those who don't know fiction from non-fiction should discount 90% of what a guy's mother says about him, which for you people and Abhisit leaves only educated. Yes, Mark Abhisit was born, raised and educated in the UK, did Eton and Oxford, so he knows the model Westminster parliamentary system almost as if he himself were a Brit. And he's against it.

As everyone can now see AV has been against it all along. If you yourself are one of the remaining few that wanna trust him then he's your lollipop. His UK chum was Korn who was a globally respected finance minister and who basically has kept his nose clean throughout all this mess. Abhsist should stand down and Korn might do the DP and the country well by standing up. God knows something of the sort is needed.

Abhisit in government is nothing more than a minister who at best might start out in Agriculture so he could learn something real about real people. If he's good at it, he might cap his career as Foreign Minister, nothing more. A prime minister he's not.

A guy who studied hubris but learned nothing from it presents the ultimate lesson of it.

• Like 1

you would think the oxford educated politician would know better, one of the biggest disappointments in politics of this generation , murder charges hanging over his head, pretending to be democratic but using every dirty trick in the book to get back into power. worst opposition leader ever.

he is always talking about PTP leaders resigning. i think its about time this useless, anti democratic opposition leader resigned.

your opinion only

My opinion and that of many others is this oxford educated politician has done more for democracy that PTP even dream about

so as there are two sides to a story

what do you say Thailand should do, that is not baised to any side

the only vacuum is in his ethics and political thinking

he is respected by none for his non-democratic stance and his over protection of the elite he seeks to serve

Thailand needs a third way based on:

• reform of the judiciary followed by other reforms (Police, Army etc) and all the corruption
  • non-attachment to the old feudal system (inc. les majeste reform) bye bye 'krenge jai'
  • protected elections

Neither the PTP nor the PDRC/Dems can deliver this

Jeez you are so wishy washy . On another forum you were intimidating that he would be the answer to all of Thailand's problems.

If you ever decide to contribute some thing positive get real first. You are so obvious.

First reform the judiciary which at the moment is in a position to enforce the law and get Yingluck the Beautiful deposed.

Gosh O gee I wonder why that is the first thing on his list of never going to happen.

How about a Democratic leader (Abhist) and some moderation on the les majeste laws and punishment for those breaking the election laws. Along with upgrading the machinery to use for voting. Lot's of money to do that with if they eliminate as much corruption as possible. As for eliminating all of it what are you going to do cut off their heads there will still be people willing to take the chance.

I notice you did not eliminate Thaksin as the answer.

link?

I am on no other forums so you are either:

• LYING
  • MISTAKEN

which is it???

"Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said that proposed resolutions to the months-long political crisis cannot begin unless Thailand is a state of political vacuum"

What political crisis?....Coup advocacy does not a political crisis make.

"Proposed resolutions?".........Does he mean humoring Coup advocates? Does he mean the establishment of a Civilian Dictatorship has room for negotiations?

I keep talking about the need for the DP to "reform itself before elections"....One significant reform would obviously mean a change of leadership and this quote simply affirms that necessity....

For competitive elections to happen, the DP needs to extend their voting appeal beyond where it is currently. In other words, they need to make electoral in-roads to the very people whose votes he is currently seeking to nullify by rendering them irrelevant....via his desire for a "political vacuum"......................Not smart.

Consider the alternative......Respect those votes, validate them and the decisions they have rendered, and move to the next level....development of policies attractive to the various electoral segments, nation wide...and get out there to sell them.......

Simply a matter of a progressive positive approach vs. a negative, political dismantling approach which "kicks voters in the head"......Why is that so difficult for the anti-Democrat DP to understand.........Does being in bed with the "Lumpini coup advocates" pretending to be protesters and anti-Govt., advance their electoral prospects?.....You answer that.

The answer is easy, deport all people who continue to attack the monarchy and who keep supporting violent groups like the UDD.

Oops, that will put you on top of the list.....

Your post is OTT.

The poster Fb identifies the problem of the leadership vacuum of both the DP and of Thailand. He prescribes a solution and method to attain a resolution of differences. Yet your only response is to charge over the top into a no man's land. All you can hear is your leader's whistle.

The poster continually and commendably reminds everyone of the major obstacle to any resolution of mounting differences and hostilities, i.e., the military and their long history of many coups or attempted coups. You miss or ignore Gen Prayuth's most recent, continuing and operative statement that a military mutiny coup d'état remains a possibility.

You need to take note that Gen Prayuth said any coup (led by him) in the present context would be conducted to shut down both sides. Given the side that pines for a military mutiny and given Gen Prayuth's first and foremost loyalty, that's a direct message to you to chill out.

You can start by doing two things first. Tear up the long list you're making then burn the armband.

Edited by Publicus

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I agree that he has been a huge disappointment. When he was Prime Minister, he was not elected, but placed there by the military dictators. During his tenure as PM, Thailand fell in Transparency International's corruption rankings.

Now he and Suthep are calling for reforms to stop the "plunder and corruption", but facts are facts, and corruption in Thailand got worse under these twos reign, than under Thaksin/Yingluck regime. Thailand needs reforms badly, but I will never trust Abhist and Suthep unless they first apologize to the Thai people for their miserable performance as PM and Deputy PM. Only then will we know if they are sincere or not.

you would think the oxford educated politician would know better, one of the biggest disappointments in politics of this generation , murder charges hanging over his head, pretending to be democratic but using every dirty trick in the book to get back into power. worst opposition leader ever.

he is always talking about PTP leaders resigning. i think its about time this useless, anti democratic opposition leader resigned.

Exactly, and the reason he was never elected by the people of Thailand.

Perhaps you should go and read up on how a Prime Minister becomes a PM in Thailand. None of them are elected. It is the majority of the house that will choose the PM. In his case by forming a collation Gov.

But that is not what you like to hear. You rather have the desert rat run this country more and more into the ground. Time will tell and I believe it on the side of those that are against T.S.

your opinion only

My opinion and that of many others is this oxford educated politician has done more for democracy that PTP even dream about

It is not his opinion only. Many others are of the same mind and share that opinion. If Abhisit has done so much for democracy, why does he not participate in the democratic process? Me thinks you speak out of the wrong orifice.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I agree that he has been a huge disappointment. When he was Prime Minister, he was not elected, but placed there by the military dictators. During his tenure as PM, Thailand fell in Transparency International's corruption rankings.

Now he and Suthep are calling for reforms to stop the "plunder and corruption", but facts are facts, and corruption in Thailand got worse under these twos reign, than under Thaksin/Yingluck regime. Thailand needs reforms badly, but I will never trust Abhist and Suthep unless they first apologize to the Thai people for their miserable performance as PM and Deputy PM. Only then will we know if they are sincere or not.

Perhaps you should go and read up on how a Prime Minister becomes a PM in Thailand. None of them are elected. It is the majority of the house that will choose the PM. In his case by forming a collation Gov.

But that is not what you like to hear. You rather have the desert rat run this country more and more into the ground. Time will tell and I believe it on the side of those that are against T.S.

The PM may not be directly elected, but as leader of the political party, presents himself to the electorate as the candidate for PM if his a party wins a majority in the House. That is how Abhist and the Democrats ran for office. It is also the basis upon which the Democrats failed to win a majority of seats, and failed to win a majority of the votes cast.

Therefore, the argument that Abhisit was duly elected as PM is tenuous at best. Abhisit has been repeatedly rejected by Thailand's voters. if they wanted him as PM, they would have given him a majority government.

The dictator of Syria, Assad, completed his post graduate education as an opthomologist in England. This fact is as relevant as Abhisit having attended Oxford.

Unfortunately for your argument having a Masters degree in medicine that deals with the anatomy, physiology and diseases of the eye won't help you or assist in decision making when a PM.

However a bachelors degree in philosophy, politics and economics, a master's degree in economics and the cherry on the cake is a a degree in law will help you as PM.

I remember reading there were 15 or so other serious charges outstanding against Thaksin. All waiting for his return, In some cases, not sure how many, I remember reading the courts had issued warrants after he failed to attend hearings.

So, there is one conviction, 15 pending court cases, plus any under investigation not yet put before the courts.There is also the possibility of ICJ interest in the war on drugs and Tak Bai massacres.

Guess it's easy to see the attraction of a whitewash all, let's pretend they never happened and start again approach is so appealing, and necessary. Of course he could appeal the conviction (bit hard to do after several years on the run mind!), launch a robust defense against the other charges in court, and hope the ICJ lose interest. For some reason, he only seems interest in the former. Any thoughts why?

Cut the crap. The ICJ has no interest in the legal activities that were used to stop the narco terrorist cartels in Thailand. Multiple inquiries by Thaksin's opponents couldn't support any of the allegations. The mistakes and errors during the operations were due to military and police errors.

As for the Tak Bai deaths, the military was in charge of all security operations and it was the military that was responsible for any wrongdoing.

In respect to the charges you reference, nothing precludes the charges from being brought in absentia. The failure of a defendant to appear to answer charges, is not an acceptable defense. If no charges have been prosecuted it is because there isn't a case or more likely because the former military dictatorship and its Democrat party successor didn't have a pot to piss in.

And that is far more likely to be the case than they are just sitting around with all these charges just keeping them on ice. Its all semantics.

He was elected by his constituency - which is more than Burberry Boots ever managed

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No, he was elected by a non-elected parliament , that came in power with a coup ! So I state he was never elected by the people of Thailand , Right ?

He was elected by his constituency - which is more than Burberry Boots ever managed

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No, he was elected by a non-elected parliament , that came in power with a coup ! So I state he was never elected by the people of Thailand , Right ?

I don't recall "a non-elected parliament, that came to power with a coup", do you have more details or a link ? wink.png

If you're referring to the December-2008 Democrat-led coalition-government, surely all the MPs supporting it had been "elected by the people of Thailand" in December-2007, barring a few later by-elections ? And those were the same elected-MPs, who had earlier voted in the PPP-led coalition-governments of PM Samak & PM Somchai ? blink.png

Or did those two governments also "came in power with a coup" ? facepalm.gif

"However, he would not comment on whether he agreed with such a process."

I don't agree with Buddhism, but I'll take the holidays it gives me.

Christmas? Humbug! But, I'll still take any gifts people give me.

"Agree with such a process"? It doesn't matter. He didn't agree with the coup either.

But I bet "London to a brick", he'll freely grab any benefits that come his and the Democrats way.

The dictator of Syria, Assad, completed his post graduate education as an opthomologist in England. This fact is as relevant as Abhisit having attended Oxford.

Unfortunately for your argument having a Masters degree in medicine that deals with the anatomy, physiology and diseases of the eye won't help you or assist in decision making when a PM.

However a bachelors degree in philosophy, politics and economics, a master's degree in economics and the cherry on the cake is a a degree in law will help you as PM.

And if one has a doctorate in criminal law from an accredited US university that makes one more capable? Former PM Thaksin had one of those, so according to your logic, he must have been the best qualified. Nice logic.

You are very wrong when you dismiss the medical education as helping one become a better PM. In case you forgot, social service expenditures are a major component of a government's budget. Having a good grasp of social service issues, being trained to listen and to analyze are important assets. However, the most important asset one can have is actual work experience in the private sector. Unfortunately, Abhisit never held a job in the private sector. He had a short stint as a guest lecturer at an army facility. Hardly the basis for obtaining real world experience. On the other hand, as the errand biy for the Thai military and the Thai oligarchy all Abhisit needs is to know how to follow instructions.

As an aside, I find it hilarious that you hold out the law diploma from RamK. as something special, but you and others regularly denigrate the incumbent PM's MS from a US university. Abhisit didn't write his bar exams did he? he never practice law did he? Having the theory without applying it, is a somewhat useless endeavour when it comes to the law. Perhaps this is why Abhisit has such a poor grasp of the ramifications of supporting judicial coups.

And if one has a doctorate in criminal law from an accredited US university that makes one more capable? Former PM Thaksin had one of those, so according to your logic, he must have been the best qualified. Nice logic.

You are very wrong when you dismiss the medical education as helping one become a better PM. In case you forgot, social service expenditures are a major component of a government's budget. Having a good grasp of social service issues, being trained to listen and to analyze are important assets. However, the most important asset one can have is actual work experience in the private sector. Unfortunately, Abhisit never held a job in the private sector. He had a short stint as a guest lecturer at an army facility. Hardly the basis for obtaining real world experience. On the other hand, as the errand biy for the Thai military and the Thai oligarchy all Abhisit needs is to know how to follow instructions.

As an aside, I find it hilarious that you hold out the law diploma from RamK. as something special, but you and others regularly denigrate the incumbent PM's MS from a US university. Abhisit didn't write his bar exams did he? he never practice law did he? Having the theory without applying it, is a somewhat useless endeavour when it comes to the law. Perhaps this is why Abhisit has such a poor grasp of the ramifications of supporting judicial coups.

Don't change the subject.

Nothing about thaksin. I was comparing the credentials of an eye doctor with the credentials of Ahbisits degrees and stating that Ahbisits would help you more as a PM.

I said nothing about the universities they got them from as well. That was never used in my argument, but you chose to allure to the fact that I did. I didn't say the law degree was anything special. I said it would help someone be a PM more than an eye doctor degree.

social service expenditures are a major component of a government's budget. Wonderful. Defense budget is a large part as well or agricultural budget. We won't put a farmer and I am sure you would agree Gen Prayuth in as the PM though. No.

Eye doctors are potentially good eye doctors. People with political degrees are potentially good PM's. Eye doctor study the eye. Political degrees study politics.

Though the PTP need a good eye doctor. They can't see any corruption in the rice scheme.

Don't change the subject.

Nothing about thaksin. I was comparing the credentials of an eye doctor with the credentials of Ahbisits degrees and stating that Ahbisits would help you more as a PM.

I said nothing about the universities they got them from as well. That was never used in my argument, but you chose to allure to the fact that I did. I didn't say the law degree was anything special. I said it would help someone be a PM more than an eye doctor degree.

social service expenditures are a major component of a government's budget. Wonderful. Defense budget is a large part as well or agricultural budget. We won't put a farmer and I am sure you would agree Gen Prayuth in as the PM though. No.

Eye doctors are potentially good eye doctors. People with political degrees are potentially good PM's. Eye doctor study the eye. Political degrees study politics.

Though the PTP need a good eye doctor. They can't see any corruption in the rice scheme.

I wonder if GK would go to Assad if he needed an eye doctor? He seems to think that piece of paper allows every thing.

He posts like he is an expert I wonder what degree he has to back up his posts with.

The facts are that Assad is not qualified to lead the government in Syria and Abhist is qualified to lead the government here in Thailand in to a better future if given the support.

Before you get all excited GK and start in with the why I will tell you now. Because he had a minority Government and some of them didn't like him either but they were not as dumb as certain others and knew he was the best man for the job. Besides they knew that Thaksin would have figuratively cut their heads off if he got in again.

I trust you know the difference between a minority government and a majority government.

I wonder if GK would go to Assad if he needed an eye doctor? He seems to think that piece of paper allows every thing.

He posts like he is an expert I wonder what degree he has to back up his posts with.

The facts are that Assad is not qualified to lead the government in Syria and Abhist is qualified to lead the government here in Thailand in to a better future if given the support.

Before you get all excited GK and start in with the why I will tell you now. Because he had a minority Government and some of them didn't like him either but they were not as dumb as certain others and knew he was the best man for the job. Besides they knew that Thaksin would have figuratively cut their heads off if he got in again.

I trust you know the difference between a minority government and a majority government.

Back when Assad was current with his knowledge, I might have used him if I needed his expertise.

A piece of paper does not allow "every thing". On the contrary, it is your coterie who keep emphasizing Abhisit's stint at Oxford.

On some subjects I am considered by my employer and professional regulator(s) as an "expert". On other subjects, I know nothing and readily admit when I am unqualified.

I have 3 university diplomas (undergrad - science, grad - business and post grad applied health science). Thanks for asking.

Abhisit is as qualified as anyone who wants to run for office. The question is whether or not those qualifications are appropriate or adequate.

The fact of the matter is that Abhisit has NEVER worked in the private sector and has NEVER worked in a business, practiced law or even worked in a milieu where he did active research. Abhisit never had contact with people in a normal work environment and as such cannot even begin to understand the concerns or problems people face on a daily basis. Say what you want about Yingluck, but she paid her dues working in the private sector, albeit for a family firm. Ifg you know anything about family firms, they are rougher on the kids than other workers.

The fact is that Abhisit's party never ever won an election and never received an electoral mandate to govern. He gained office because his opponents were disqualified. to the point where only a majority formed by his House supporters remained.. The electorate saw that and sent him a message at the election that brought Yingluck's party into power with an electoral mandate to govern. Abhisit is neither popular nor well liked. This has been repeatedly expressed when Thais are allowed to vote.

Abhisit will never win an election unless he can have his opponents removed or otherwise blocked. Foreign governments can see that and treat him accordingly. He's well spoken, outwardly polite but for all intents and purposes a message boy. When the foreign governments want or need something of importance they go and see the army.

your opinion only

Your opinion, just like the vast majority here mean nothing to the everyday Thais who can vote, and do vote and who want to vote.