Any Tips On Preparing Sun Dried Tomatoes?

Konini

Actually, semi-dried tomatoes are my preference. I saw some in the deli at Rimping last week and couldn't resist getting a small container, but they weren't nice at all - very, very bland, not at all tasty olive oil and it seems like no herbs at all. I'm going to have a crack at doing some on the weekend if I can find some good tomatoes on the market; I have some really nice extra virgin olive oil (hand the expense) and a few recipes for the herb mix, but would love anyone to share theirs - tried and tested recipes rather than pulled off the internet please. I made some a lot of years ago in a dehydrator but was disappointed with the results - can't remember why and this was at a time before the internet came into our lives, so I was only going on what I could find in books, and a new Italian deli opened close to us very soon afterwards and theirs were so nice I didn't bother trying again.

Covered in the sun, low setting in the oven or slow cooker are my options. Any tips on the method or herb mix would be appreciated, along with how long to leave them to marinade before tucking into them. I like big strong flavours so any recipes with lots of salt, garlic and herbs will go down very nicely.

Finally, can someone tell me once and for all if I should use sweet basil or holy basil for Italian recipes? I've looked it up a few times, and it seems every time I look it up I give up on the idea as one website tells me one, then another tells me the opposite.

• 2 weeks later...

Sun dried is definitely better but I have had good results with a dehydrator. Oven drying I don't like. Cut 6-7mm thick and cover with mosquito net or something, you can also rub in a lttle salt to speed things up. Seasoning? You have to experiment. Garlic can get disgustong and poisonous even in olive oil, so I don't add any

We make them like this; they're great:

Just-ripe, firm plum tomatoes

Extra virgin olive oil

Garlic cloves, smashed

Salt

Sugar

Oregano

Basil leaves

Preheat oven to 107 degrees C. Line baking sheet with parchment paper if you have it; lightly oil the parchment paper (baking surface). Cut plum tomatoes in half lengthwise and remove seeds.

Arrange garlic & tomatoes with cut side UP; sprinkle lightly with salt, sugar, dried oregano, basil and garlic pieces. Place tomatoes cut side DOWN on oiled parchment paper. Bake in oven for 2 hours.

Remove tomatoes from oven and turn tomatoes cut side UP. Bake for another 2-6 hours (depending on how dried you want); remove from oven and cool. Transfer tomatoes to jar and cover with olive oil; store in refrigerator.

Edited by Michaelaway